Axes, what do you know about them ?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Axes, what do you know about them ?

Post by sunndog » 16 Aug 2016, 19:49

:think:
The elongated diamond is is familier, theres something tickling the edges of my addled brain (that might just be dave)
Let it in soak in a bit
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 16 Aug 2016, 20:02

sunndog wrote::think:
The elongated diamond is is familier, theres something tickling the edges of my addled brain (that might just be dave)
Let it in soak in a bit

Exactly what I thought ! Been thinking about it all day but can't bring the logo to mind, nothing on google either :think:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 16 Aug 2016, 20:44

That diamond rodders, i'm thinking i'v seen one picked out in yellow and american......ring any bells?
Obviously a lot more recent than yer mates axe
Thermal hunting forum

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 16 Aug 2016, 20:50

Also, was it stamped back near the poll with the longer edges runnining parallel to the haft?
Possibly stamped quite faint in the first place?

I'v bloody seen it somewhere, i know i have :lol:
Thermal hunting forum

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 16 Aug 2016, 21:13

sunndog wrote:Also, was it stamped back near the poll with the longer edges runnining parallel to the haft?
Possibly stamped quite faint in the first place?

I'v bloody seen it somewhere, i know i have :lol:
I'll check it out again tomorrow, see if I can get some pics of it.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 16 Aug 2016, 21:31

:wave: Rodders,
There is something lurking in amongst the sawdust and cobwebs deep inside the grey matter that I remember about the Churchill Forge near Stourbridge ? The line of descendants to that "Churchill Forge" is from the "Bache" family.
Most of the old forging companies like Elwell, Brades & Skelton & Tyzak ended up with the Spear and Jackson/Spearwell company buying out and taking over nearly all the smaller forging companies.
Phil
ImageImageImage

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 16 Aug 2016, 22:15

:wave: Rodders
Speak nicely to your good woman indoors and tell that you would walk over hot coals to make her happy and to prove it you are going to take her out for a pleasant and scenic picnic and lots of fresh air :thumbup:
Half a dozen sandwiches and a thermos should be enough to get you there and back as it is only a wee bit down the road for you ? "phone first and tell them your on your way"

http://www.churchillforge.org.uk/about.html

Phil
ImageImageImage

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 16 Aug 2016, 23:32

Edit 01.19am, Rod discount this Eagle Edge Co below it would need to have a eagle symbol in the stamping ??

Rod, the 5 letters that you are trying to match "could also fit the Eagle Edge Tool Company" ????? = ?AG?? they became part of the "Brades" company either between the 1st & 2nd wars or 1946 on etc. Research W Hunt & Sons think they owned Brades up until they were taken in to the Spearwell then the later S&J company etc.
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 17 Aug 2016, 17:20

hairyyoda wrote::wave: Rodders
Speak nicely to your good woman indoors and tell that you would walk over hot coals to make her happy and to prove it you are going to take her out for a pleasant and scenic picnic and lots of fresh air :thumbup:
Half a dozen sandwiches and a thermos should be enough to get you there and back as it is only a wee bit down the road for you ? "phone first and tell them your on your way"

http://www.churchillforge.org.uk/about.html

Phil

Been meaning to visit there for years :oops: It's literally down the road from me, I can see Clent hills from our patio clear enough to see folk walking. Open day in September so I shall be there this time :thumbup:
Sure I know someone from the bache family (they're local obviously) :lol: but can't for the life of me place them / him / her and don't think they're called Bache now. Probably a distant relative, or knowing Churchill, Blakedown, Belbroughton they're probably a very close distant relative of each other. Sort of place where the father gives away the bride AND groom :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 17 Aug 2016, 22:17

Rod can you weigh the axe head on it's own ? is the axe head very close to 310 grams ? thinking along the line that if the weight of the axe head is in grams, the axe head started it's life in Europe ?
Phil
Forget most of the above information about your axe head Rod, "it was close but not close enough in the Carling way" done some more research and your axe head is a Eagle Edge Tool Company "Kent pattern" that would have been made in The Eagle Works in Monmore Green Wolverhampton.
Several big named makers like Brades had linked with Elwell before 1930 ??? when Edward Elwell and the owners of The Chillingdon Tool Company formed Edge Tool Industries. Detailed photograph of the Eagle Edge trademark to follow.

EAGLE STREET (Monmore Green)
The 1902 OS Map shows small terraced housing on the southern end of this street, possibly indicating a similar date to that of Eagle Street, Penn Fields, though the houses seem to have been of much smaller size. Somewhere nearby, but fronting the canal and not this street, was the large company, the Eagle Edge Tool Company. There must be some connection between the company and this street. There is also an Eagle Works in Brickkiln Street. It is not known whether there was any connection between these streets, the works, the company and Mr. Eagle.
ImageImageImage