Photobucket alternatives?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
fizzbangwhallop

Photobucket alternatives?

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 03 Jul 2017, 15:00

As P'bucket now want us to take out a subscription payment for 3rd party image hosting I've now deleted all my photos on there and cancelled my membership.

Any good freebie alternatives out there?

A post on ukv suggested imgur or google photos hosting but I don't know if these work in the same way as P'bucket and allow you to paste the .img into a post (and leave the rest of your album as private?)

Is iCloud another option?

Cheers

Fizz
How annoying is that.

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Photobucket alternatives?

Post by cliveward » 03 Jul 2017, 17:05

Hi Fizz,

I'm dabbling with google photos as an alternative.

Essentially bung the photos into a shared album.

Then click on the photo from that album. Then right click to open in new tab / window. Then use the address from that window as the location of the photo.

To make the links shorter you can then use https://goo.gl/ to get it into a shorter address to make edits easier.

Bit long winded.

Cheers

Clive

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 03 Jul 2017, 19:33

What a snide stunt to do this without any email messages about their intent - My signature is on there - wonder how long it stays linked.

I can't even download my own images so its not just third party hosting they have blocked.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 04 Jul 2017, 07:24

cliveward wrote:Hi Fizz,

I'm dabbling with google photos as an alternative.

Essentially bung the photos into a shared album.

Then click on the photo from that album. Then right click to open in new tab / window. Then use the address from that window as the location of the photo.

To make the links shorter you can then use https://goo.gl/ to get it into a shorter address to make edits easier.

Bit long winded.

Cheers

Clive
Cheers Clive... I noticed yours came back quite quickly and wondered how you'd done it :thumbup:

I had a quick look at iCloud last night but that didn't look encouraging in the way I tried to get to see what was in there....might have another go later.
some bloke wrote:What a snide stunt to do this without any email messages about their intent - My signature is on there - wonder how long it stays linked.

I can't even download my own images so its not just third party hosting they have blocked.
When I was clearing the libraries out there was a download button.... I was selecting all and (I think) it brought up a line of blue boxes across the bottom with the options....delete, download etc etc

Cheers both

Fizz

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Frogman Ladue

Post by Frogman Ladue » 07 Jul 2017, 18:19

Any progress on new hostings?
PHOTOBUCKET LAUNCHES UNLIMITED 3RD PARTY HOSTING PLAN
Posted by Photobucket Press+ on Jul 6, 2017 in Press Releases | No Comments

Denver, Colorado (July 6, 2017) One of the world’s leading photo storage and hosting sites has begun notifying its largest commercial scale users that it will now offer an unlimited third party hosting subscription plan.

John Corpus, CEO of Photobucket, said that historically the company “relied heavily on advertising revenue but that major industry-wide changes in the advertising space have greatly impacted Photobucket, including the rise of ad blockers and the Company’s explosion of 3rd party hosting that generates zero revenue.”

“This model is no longer sustainable,” Corpus added.

Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting. The majority of the industry has either eliminated 3rd party hosting or imposed variable pricing based on consumption. To address the market, Photobucket has added unlimited hosting to its Plus 500 Subscription plan at a competitive fixed price.

Photobucket modified its Terms of Use in the second quarter of 2017. The Company began notifying non-paying users through email and on-site messaging that the Plus 500 plan offers 3rd Party Hosting for both commercial and personal use requiring no development or technical experience. Photobucket users who elect not to subscribe to the Plus 500 plan are always able to access all of their photos and migrate to alternative solutions if they so desire.

In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company has amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images stored, with 2 million daily uploads and 60 billion photos accessed monthly.

“With all the photos stored and shared, nearly everyone interacts with a Photobucket hosted image on at least one page across the web over a sixty-day period, putting the photo hosting service as a significant part of the internet,” Corpus said.

Corpus said that “initial results for the Company are positive. This path to a more sustainable business model allows us to develop an even more robust product to meet our customers’ needs.”

“We are grateful for our customers’ continued support,” he added.

About Photobucket.

With over 100 million registered users, Photobucket Corporation is the world’s leading dedicated photo sharing service. The Photobucket user community uploads millions of images per day from the web and connected digital devices. Photobucket hosts, preserves and protects photos while bringing members advanced browsing, sharing and editing experiences. Each month Photobucket serves over 60 billion photos to over 3 million websites. Photobucket is headquartered in Denver, Colorado.

For more information about Photobucket, please contact press@photobucket.com or visit us online at http://www.photobucket.com/faq.

© 2017 Photobucket.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

END
It's pretty much pay up or abandon ship. Ya got until Dec 31, 2017 to pay or leave.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 12 Jul 2017, 13:35

Hi All,

It's their train set I suppose. :lol:

Actually it got so advert riddled I found it almost unuseable anyway. Quicker now to use Google photos or indeed sharing a folder in Drive and creating shared links in the same way as the photos method. Advantage of drive is that the urls are much shorter.

Cheers

Clive

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 12 Jul 2017, 15:10

Google method for me too, it' just as good, just remember to create a a sharing folder then just drop it in and paste the link :thumbup:

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 12 Aug 2017, 08:04

Going to try this out https://screenshot.net/

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 22 Sep 2017, 13:20

I have just given 'Imgur' a try to replace some missing pics on my posts...so far it works and it's simple to use, I really like it. For me it seems a lot better than photobucket was.

Frogman Ladue

Post by Frogman Ladue » 02 Jun 2018, 00:26

What happened to Photobucket? I can see all the pics again? I certainly didn't do anything to help or upgrade my computer.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link