Bringing something in from Holland ???

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Bringing something in from Holland ???

Post by rodp » 11 Apr 2018, 17:26

A question or three for the importers among you. If I wanted to bring something in from Holland ( a hundred and five items to be exact) would any duty or charges be applicable to them if I collected or had them shipped over? And, if I decided to go and look at them first do I need a passport to travel to Holland? Lastly, how much cash can I take over there?

As you can probably tell, I never ever go abroad.

Edit to say these are a pre-owned private sale, not brand new from a company.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Bringing something in from Holland ???

Post by phoenix » 11 Apr 2018, 17:37

Since we're still in the EU, there are no import charges or duty on any goods coming into the UK from another EU country.
You will need a passport to travel to Holland.
I think you can take up to 10,000 euros in cash before you have to tell customs about it. As long as you let them know what it's for, you can effectively take as much as you want.
If the seller wants to charge you VAT, you can tell him that it's not applicable since the goods are going out of Holland, but you would be liable for that VAT when you bring the goods into the UK.
If it's a private sale and no VAT is liable in Holland, then there will be no VAT liability in the UK either.
Once the UK leaves the EU, what you're proposing to do will become a lot more difficult and expensive.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 11 Apr 2018, 17:42

Assuming you're talking about stuff for personal use there aren't many restrictions. The customs people are lokking out for tobacco and booze in large quantities - too large for personal use.
Most stuff it's no different to buying in the UK, you pay local VAT and that's it. If you are thinking in terms of 105 air rifles for example there might well be questions asked,
Realistically you will need a passport, nowadays you probably wouldn't get out of the UK let alone back in because of the problem with illegal immigrants. I'm not aware of any cash limits - even if there were I'm never going to run up against them (unfortunately). I normally use plastic for most purchases, I don't know if the Dutch have issues with large sums of cash like we do over money laundering. I can't imagine any issues with a few thousand pounds/euros.
If you pay with plastic for stuff and they offer you the option to pay in pounds sterling or local currency it's better to pay in the local currency as the banks won't rip you off quite as much. If you want to pay from this country then a bank transfer method is probably best using a service like transferwise which will get you a better exchange rate.
For business purchases it would be better to get expert advice as different VAT rates might well apply and there could be other considerations which I'm not aware of.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 11 Apr 2018, 17:57

Thank you gents for the advice, appreciated.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"