Any vintage VW experts on the forum

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
hairyyoda

Any vintage VW experts on the forum

Post by hairyyoda » 14 Apr 2018, 20:30

:wave: Any vintage VW experts on the forum :think:

I have 2, 16 inch VW "205mm pitch circle vintage type wheels" along with a rear solid banjo diff axle on leaf springs :think:
:?: what bl##dy vehicle is this axle off :?: I am thinking 1940's 1950's VW but what VW had a front mounted north south inline engine and gearbox with a rear diff banjo axle. Did Karmann Ghia make :?: :?: :?: any ideas would be a :thumbup:
or did any of the early bus types/transporter types have rear banjo diff axles, or were any VW engines mid mounted with a short prop shaft :?:
Thanks
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Re: Any vintage VW experts on the forum

Post by rodp » 15 Apr 2018, 06:05

I assume by "Banjo" axle you mean a live rear axle Phil, as in a one piece assembly from wheel to wheel? Google comes up with nothing for VW with one of those, how do you know it's VW?

Curious now :think:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 15 Apr 2018, 07:00

Thanks Rod.
Only because the 5 bolt wheel stud pattern on the "big" 205mm pitch circle of the wheel studs is the "classic big five stud pattern of early VW's" :?: :think: :idea: 1955 to late 1960's bus :?: Karmann Ghia also used the big 5 X 205mm wheel stud pattern as well in the 50's and 60's. Think that the military VW Keblewagon ran on that big stud pattern on 16 inch rims so I suppose there would have been other German car manufacturers who might have used the same stud pattern :?:
Been looking for 2 of these types of wheels that are in very good condition for ages but had to buy a job lot yesterday with the banjo diff axle, :idea: :think: don't want to scrap the axle if it is a hens teeth rarity :lol:

Thanks
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 15 Apr 2018, 08:26

Nothing comes up even on 5 x 8" pcd, which it could be if old. You'll need to clean it and see what markings it has, could be worth a bob or two if anyone needs one. Or you could be wasting your time cleaning scrap :lol: I'd risk it and clean it, if only out of curiosity.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 15 Apr 2018, 12:19

Rod.
VW 16 inch 205mm PCD "skinny" original steel wheels in good condition are very difficult to find anyway :!: I know that it is quite sad but I was very :D yesterday to come across such treasures :wtf: in the middle of a wet and boggy field in a machinery auction in the wilds of rural Ceredigion :o :shock: It does not take a lot to make me happy, bit like chasing that elusive big trout that's in a deep pool in someone's favourite river. :thumbup: :lol: Her indoors keeps telling me that I need therapy and should talk it through with a professional :lolno: I keep telling her she just can't understand because her brain is on the wrong side of her head :lol: They must be at least 50 years old :think: pre 1968 :?:

Same as wheel on the right in photograph except 16 inch with 12 slots not 15 etc.

Thanks
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 15 Apr 2018, 15:53

Got to admit Phil, she may have a point :lol: 5 x 205 rims aren't something I would hanker after either, in fact, I can manage quite happily without them :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 15 Apr 2018, 17:26

Rod's quote >>> "5 x 205 rims aren't something I would hanker after either"
I agree with you Rod :thumbup: only problem is that I have one of those single axle Ex German Army trailers that I use to carry small ton loads of logs in, the steel wheels on it are a bit thin and very rusty and are ready to go porous or collapse :wtf: at any time :cry:
I need a back up pair of the same "skinny" wheels to save altering the trailer's built in mudguards :D :idea: could probably re-drill 16 inch skinny 6.00 L/R wheel as a better choice of a thicker quality steel wheel, but that is a 1st reserve option for future works to be :think: about :lol:
Also took a liking to a Atco 3 gang mower yesterday, I think that the scrapman was after it, :think: to myself :idea: that is far to good a machine to be scrapped :( so for the bargain total price of £50.40p including buyers premium plus a £1.20p VAT charge as well :wtf: I am now the proud and lucky new owner of a Charles H Pugh of Birmingham "deluxe cricket pitch mowing machine" :!: :shh: The good woman was :shock: & :o when she heard me talking to the auctioneer to ask him if I could leave the mower with him until next months auction, the 47 mile drive home yesterday evening was a barrel of :lol: with a lot of cold tongue with her odd outbursts of some very choice bad language :oops:
I honestly :think: that she had lost the plot when she kept on repeating "we don't bl##dy own a cricket pitch" and when I said that it would ideally suit being towed behind a small compact tractor :thumbup: I thought that she was on the verge of spitting feathers :wtf:
Had to make my own supper last night :lol: :clap:

Thanks
Phil
Last edited by hairyyoda on 15 Apr 2018, 18:27, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 15 Apr 2018, 17:29

:thumbup:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 15 Apr 2018, 18:58

Sounds like a good excuse for a new tipping trailer phil 8-)
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/