Bit of an odd one for the lateral thinkers.

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Re: Bit of an odd one for the lateral thinkers.

Post by rodp » 24 Apr 2018, 10:10

hairyyoda wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 08:59
:wave: Rod, with hindsight :think: :idea: might be helpful to explain what you want to ignite remotely :?:

:? The push button units on the mobile gas room heaters work very similar to a "battery free" spark plug or use one of the many varieties of diesel glow plugs run from a small rechargeable 12 volt lamping battery :?:

:think: Is your project a Heath Robertson experiment :?: or are you researching Health and Safety issues and a dislike of using a box of matches or a lighter :?: :?

Am I right in :think: that your new project is 100% Kosher :lol: and might be subject to patent restrictions :?: :lol: :lol:

Thanks
Phil
Haha. What it is Phil is this. I take a few photo's now and then, quite like photography. I wanted to replicate the old fashioned flash where they put a line of black powder in a trough and ignited it. However, unlike photographers of old I don't want it next to my head. Hence needing to be small, light and cheap. Obviously it will be done outdoors so already have camera gear to carry, this is just more junk.
I wondered if something like an over powered diode would burst into flames, or at least a flash enough to ignite powder.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 24 Apr 2018, 11:48

rodp wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 05:54
Wouldn't the heat destroy a battery peizo unit after a couple of uses? I would ideally like to be able to use it several times at least, or be cheap enough to be disposable. That was the thinking behind some component that would self destruct.

Don't want much do you :roll: :D

You could drill the trough and just poke the end of the ignitor through. The one i'v got stands up to oxy/propane explosions well
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 24 Apr 2018, 16:41

sunndog wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 11:48
rodp wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 05:54
Wouldn't the heat destroy a battery peizo unit after a couple of uses? I would ideally like to be able to use it several times at least, or be cheap enough to be disposable. That was the thinking behind some component that would self destruct.

Don't want much do you :roll: :D

You could drill the trough and just poke the end of the ignitor through. The one i'v got stands up to oxy/propane explosions well

You've been making those disposable cup bombs haven't you , and frightening the crap out of unsuspecting work mates :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"