Hi another newbie

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
MikeSt

Hi another newbie

Post by MikeSt » 11 Nov 2018, 09:28

Hi I am new to nightvision. I do a bit of deer stalking but would like to help out the farmer on my permission with a bit of fox control for him. I'm just looking around for what would be a good first set up that I wont be wanting to upgrade for a while. I was looking at various add ons but the scopes I have probably wont like them as they only focus to 50m and have a good few coatings on the lenses. I am thinking of the new digiceptor, possibly the pulsar n455 when it gets here or possibly the Pard NV008. All advice welcome. Thanks.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: Hi another newbie

Post by some bloke » 11 Nov 2018, 10:39

Hiya, welcome to the forum Mike. :thumbup:

You are correct about focal range almost always needing a scope to focus a lot lower then 50 yards to focus an add on in infra Red lighting, and the lens coating reputation was an issue when we had earlier IR performance limitations. (And this is coming from someone who promotes minimal IR where possible) :angel:

A pair of local lads have very recently been having great surprises with my rigs on Leupolds - I'd always told one they'd probably not be very brilliant due to their lens coatings. They both spend a minimum grand on their scopes.

Long story short: One had been round to try a £2K + scope that starts at 25 mag, dunno what it was TBH :o Worked fine at the ranges we can see from my house - so it was arranged he and his friend would bring round their rifles wi Leupy's on.

The chap with the 25 starting mag scope does up to 1000 yard comps at Diggle - his EFR (Extended Focal Range) Leupold surprised us both at how well it performed using an E700 based rig with a Black Sun Ruby illuminator using an EVO38 torch head. He now has a rig on backorder - till I get more Ruby pills. :angel:

His mate's Leupy (on a Daystate air rifle) would not focus for air ranges. His has a minimum focus of 50M. He still bought a rig though but will use a cheaper scope for now and probably change the Leupy for an EFR Leupy.

Point I'm making is, it seems we can stop advising against multi coated lens scopes, and if you have a local friend with an add-on it won't hurt to give one a try if you can use it on lower focal range scopes even if they have better lens coatings because of the better illuminators that are now available.
Last edited by some bloke on 11 Nov 2018, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSt

Post by MikeSt » 11 Nov 2018, 10:53

Thank you for that Some Guy. My scopes are either Zeiss Victories or a Swarovski X5i so I doubt they will be add on friendly. My thnking was if I have to buy a scope to suit an add on I may as well buy dedicated NV scope and not be wanting to upgrade soon after initial purchase.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 11 Nov 2018, 10:56

MikeSt wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:53
Thank you for that Some Guy. My scopes are either Zeiss Victories or a Swarovski X5i so I doubt they will be add on friendly. My thnking was if I have to buy a scope to suit an add on I may as well buy dedicated NV scope and not be wanting to upgrade soon after initial purchase.
Works for me, especially if any of them are fixed focus which is usually also an issue. 8-)