Downloading photographs to the forum.

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
SikaStag

Re: Downloading photographs to the forum.

Post by SikaStag » 24 Feb 2013, 23:23

George. I am also running a Mac, an iMac 24" and a MacBook Pro. Is there any way of posting pics direct from the computer rather than Photo bucket. I have satellite broadband that I pay £72 a month for. I get 25 gige a month allowance shared between the wife and myself. Some months we are struggling to have enough usage to last the month out.

I would have to upload to Photobucket then download to this site from Photobucket. I would prefer one download to try conserve usage.

Ian

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 25 Feb 2013, 08:43

Sorry Ian, but that's the only effective way that I've tried.

There is the facility for attaching photographs to your post (below the type-in box, there is an attachment box) but I'm unsure how well it works. I've tried a couple of times and it hasn't worked for me. Maybe someone who's used it could comment?

George

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 25 Feb 2013, 08:53

SikaStag wrote:George. I am also running a Mac, an iMac 24" and a MacBook Pro. Is there any way of posting pics direct from the computer rather than Photo bucket. I have satellite broadband that I pay £72 a month for. I get 25 gige a month allowance shared between the wife and myself. Some months we are struggling to have enough usage to last the month out.

I would have to upload to Photobucket then download to this site from Photobucket. I would prefer one download to try conserve usage.

Ian
As far as I know Ian, you only pay to upload it to photobucket. Anyone viewing from there isn't having any effect on your usage. That would also be the same if you uploaded it to here. (I think)

You can attach a photo to your post in the section under the window you are typing in, called upload attachment - find with "browse" then click the "add the file button" This forum will then be it's storage host.

Here is a test upload from my desktop:
Last edited by some bloke on 25 Feb 2013, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 25 Feb 2013, 09:01

If I remember correctly you just click on browse in the panel below the text box, pick the image from a list of images that comes up and click "add file". That's it, job done. Don't forget there's a maximum file size of 465kb (?), anything over and it doesn't work.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 25 Feb 2013, 10:30

I tried before to post a pic. As you say rodp. It did not work for me when I tried it from attaching from below when placing a post or replying. I always take my pictures on the highest setting on my Canon G9 camera. They are usually between 3mb to 7mb.

Dave regarding your answer re Photobucket. When I put the image on photobucket, then put he image from Photobucket onto the forum. I thought I was also using my usage to get it onto the forum. Seemingly I am wrong.

Thanks for the input from all

Ian

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 25 Feb 2013, 10:33

SikaStag wrote:I tried before to post a pic. As you say rodp. It did not work for me when I tried it from attaching from below when placing a post or replying. I always take my pictures on the highest setting on my Canon G9 camera. They are usually between 3mb to 7mb.

Dave regarding your answer re Photobucket. When I put the image on photobucket, then put he image from Photobucket onto the forum. I thought I was also using my usage to get it onto the forum. Seemingly I am wrong.

Ian
Yup - it's free hosting that advertisers pay for. :thumbup:

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 25 Feb 2013, 10:35

SikaStag wrote:I tried before to post a pic. As you say rodp. It did not work for me when I tried it from attaching from below when placing a post or replying. I always take my pictures on the highest setting on my Canon G9 camera. They are usually between 3mb to 7mb.

Ian
You need to downsize the file to app 450kb, may work then. Just run them through PS or something to the correct file size.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 25 Feb 2013, 11:17

Here goes for my first tempt.

I went into iPhoto. I selected this image. I went to file still in iPhoto and clicked on Export.

I tried several settings to get as close to 445kb as possible.

I set the jpeg quality to High and the size set to Large. was 394,943 kb in size.

I got this message. The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.

Second attempt jpeg quality set at High file size medium. 108 kb. Fingers crossed here goes.

It worked. Just need to refine my settings to get a bigger picture. Next pick coming up.
Attachments
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 7905 times

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 25 Feb 2013, 11:24

I am the old fella on the right.

I tried to make the picture bigger. Unfortunately it was 280kb and would not load 250kb is the max.

Ian
Attachments
P1000839.jpg
P1000839.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 7905 times

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 25 Feb 2013, 11:39

For all Mac users. If you hold down the command button to the right of the space bar and tap on the + button next to the back button which is above enter. You can make the pictures fill the screen if you so desire.

If your a Windows user. Save up and buy Mac. The best move I ever made.

Ian