Sight mark Wraith 850nm IR Torch

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
CoreyJenkins1

Sight mark Wraith 850nm IR Torch

Post by CoreyJenkins1 » 07 Nov 2023, 21:44

Hi all thank you for letting me join. I have a Sightmark Wraith 850nm IR torch and I think it may be scaring the rabbits and rats when I shine it on them for night shooting. And I know there is a 940nm pill avaliable for the torch is it worth getting? Has anyone had any similar experiences with IR light scaring animals at night, I am shooting with an air rifle so at about 30 yards. But I find the rats seem to be very spooked by the light and run as soon as I shine it onto them.
Thanks in advance
Corey

Steveoshea223

Re: Sight mark Wraith 850nm IR Torch

Post by Steveoshea223 » 21 Dec 2023, 10:43

Hi, I haven't tried 940 myself, only had experience with 850, for the rats, I've only used the onboard pard, for further rabbits and fox with the bigger guns, I'll use an extra vcsel torch, for spotting now using nightfox units, often with ir booster.
I find generally things aren't too spooked but sometimes the rabbits will make a move to the hedge as I scan around with a bright ir. I had a fox walk into about 50 yds last night with ir on, so it didn't bother him. Rats I find a bit scittish at the best of times unless they are used to human traffic, they just don't stand still for long, (the ones by my chickens anyway). Sometimes I've wondered if they notice the light but then I've had one come along, same evening and eat the mash bait that I've put out and stand still long enough to get a nice shot off.
Sorry it's not a direct answer, but I'd be keen to know also how others find the 940, or you if you try it. For the longer range stuff the 850 had the edge I believe, but for short range I think it's definitely worth a try, maybe a cheap T20 type off eBay.

Davesniper

Re: Sight mark Wraith 850nm IR Torch

Post by Davesniper » 21 Dec 2023, 11:38

Hi Corey , I think most of us on here at one time or another have had trouble With IR spooking our quary , one thing also to take into consideration how often you go especially ratting..we can do a 100 a night when we get the call absouloutley batter them..then we wait for farmer to ring us again could be 2 months but you will have another brill nigh..and no spooked rats ,infact you do more damage by doing it that way.

Dave.