Camcorder spotter

Suitable cams for use as nv, with specs here too. Wiring help for cam viewfinders.
Longsider

Camcorder spotter

Post by Longsider » 07 Aug 2015, 11:02

Hi guys ,
I've been reading with interest how camcorders can be modified for night vision use . My knowledge as to how to perform these modifications is zero and I realise I would , if it was viable , need to pay someone with these skills to do the work .
Having read quite a few posts regarding camcorders I would be interested to know if mine could be modified to use as a spotter . my hunting is primarily sub 12 air rifle so a spotting range of 80 - 100 yards would be ample.
A few years ago I bought a JVC camcorder ( model GZ- MS120AEK ) for a holiday and since then it has been sat in its box after about 30 minutes use . has anybody used one of these units for NV purposes or could it be used ?
Going on the basis that it could be modified what additional parts would I need to source and if possible a ballpark cost for the build .
I apologise for being so vague but I really am in the dark ( no pun intended ) regarding night vision components etc but I would love to have a useable spotter to save battery power in my photon xt for the actual shot and nothing more .
Any input from people who have used these units as spotters would be great as will any info from people who are experienced with the technical aspects of these builds .
Thanks for your time guys . atb Ricky

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee5 ... 92E1BC.jpg

blueeyes

Re: Camcorder spotter

Post by blueeyes » 08 Aug 2015, 08:39

Longsider

Post by Longsider » 08 Aug 2015, 11:50

Thanks very much blueyes . at least I know its a possibility now and the camcorder isn't likely to get much use for its original purpose so there's nothing lost there . I don't expect brilliant performance as long as I can get eyes on rabbits at a reasonable distance outside normal sub12 ranges .
All I need to know now are some figures regarding the cost of the build and what parts I would need to add to what I have now . thanks again blueyes , much appreciated .

Longsider

Post by Longsider » 08 Aug 2015, 11:56

Incidentally , if anybody thinks I would be better looking for a camcorder that is better for the job I wouldn't rule that out either . as long as I end up with a inexpensive spotter that is all that matters . atb Ricky