CAMCORDER N/V GENERAL INFO

Suitable cams for use as nv, with specs here too. Wiring help for cam viewfinders.
azz

CAMCORDER N/V GENERAL INFO

Postby azz » 10 Jan 2012, 14:31

hi lads here's some basic info
i use a camcorder for my nightvision setup i have had several gen 1 scopes and this performs as good or better than any of them.
the camcorder has got to be a sony with the nightshot feature there are a few models you can use some better than others.
when i say better they can just see further when its dark if it's for 12ft/lb air rifle any of the models would do.
but i would recomend getting one with a sensor size(chip size)of 1/4 or bigger i use ones with 1/3 chips or bigger my current one has a 1/2.9 ClearVid CMOS chip which i prefer.
you also need a good powerful infrared laser illuminator or lamp and i/r filter but i prefer laser.
a N1000 from nvscopes or the two i use are nite-hunter 300Mw from http://www.nite-hunter.com or my other from here just goggle odicforce lasers then search 200mw infrared (IR)808nm laser illuminator
its a bit greedy on batteries so i converted it to run off 4xAA batteries.
you will need a parallax adjustable scope the best one's to use are side p/a mine is a ags swat.
you may need to raise your scopes a bit and move them forward aswell depending on camcorder size
the easiest way to fix the camcorder to the scope is just buy what they call filter rings that screw into the front of the camcorder lens you may need a couple (they step up in sizes)to get to roughly the same size as the scope eye piece then get some pipe to match and if need be just pack out by putting electrical tape around scope until pipe is a nice fit then tighten the clamps and same on camcorder side.
hope this helps and make sense
if you want any more info get in touch.
cheers mark

here's a picture of my current setup
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... C00649.jpg
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... C00647.jpg

Fox Hunter

Re: CAMCORDER N/V GENERAL INFO

Postby Fox Hunter » 10 Jan 2012, 16:30

What about the settings on the cam Mark?

Obviously you need to switch nightshot on and use manual focus but is there better picture quality to be gained by adjusting or altering the setting's in the menu's?

azz

Postby azz » 10 Jan 2012, 19:25

not a lot to do to get better picture quality
but you can turn the steadyshot off this will stop the crosshairs moving about.
to save battery turn the built in i/r light off.
turn off the bleep so it makes the camcorder silent when turning on/off
atb mark

Nugget

Postby Nugget » 10 Jan 2012, 22:55

azz wrote:not a lot to do to get better picture quality
atb mark

Handy hints these matey, simplest but effective and commonsense really, something i don't have a lot of..... :oops:
Would you know of the settings for the PC9e that i would be better turning on or off for better results as there seems to be quite a few options,(too many for me :o ) as today whilst recording it seemed to go in a sort of staggered mode if you know what i mean as in when you view in Digi NV and it is delayed slightly when scanning????
Hope you understand what i mean and you can help?
Many thanks Steve. ;)

azz

Postby azz » 11 Jan 2012, 00:22

Nugget wrote:
azz wrote:not a lot to do to get better picture quality
atb mark

Handy hints these matey, simplest but effective and commonsense really, something i don't have a lot of..... :oops:
Would you know of the settings for the PC9e that i would be better turning on or off for better results as there seems to be quite a few options,(too many for me :o ) as today whilst recording it seemed to go in a sort of staggered mode if you know what i mean as in when you view in Digi NV and it is delayed slightly when scanning????
Hope you understand what i mean and you can help?
Many thanks Steve. ;)

hi mate not to sure as i've never owned a dcr-pc9e but i know what you mean i think is it the picture is like in slow motion?
if so it might be something to do with the shutter speed and if its doing it while using for n/v have you got the cam set on super nightshot if so turn it to just nightshot.
just been playing with my cam to find some tips and for the problem in the day time try turning the color slow shutter to off if it has this option or if not try adjusting the shutter speed maybe
like i say not to sure on this model but just a few thing to try hope it helps if not try pete (72line per) or john (verminfilmer) as these have both used this model and may be able to help
sorry i don't have a definate answer for you
regards mark
Last edited by azz on 11 Jan 2012, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie

Postby Charlie » 11 Jan 2012, 10:01

Just took a look at odicforce site they do a 350mw IR laser for £50. Will that be okay with Sony camcorders on night vision. Sounds cheap that. charlie

azz

Postby azz » 11 Jan 2012, 11:21

Charlie wrote:Just took a look at odicforce site they do a 350mw IR laser for £50. Will that be okay with Sony camcorders on night vision. Sounds cheap that. charlie

hi charlie
i don't think that laser is suitable as a illuminator for n/v as the beam will not open up wide enough for close use it states at 100yards the beam is only 2m x 2m
maybe give them a ring and ask their advice they are quiet helpful.
cheers mark

Return to “Camcorder help room”