Crosman Centerpoint 4-16x40mm AO Usable?

smoketest

Crosman Centerpoint 4-16x40mm AO Usable?

Post by smoketest » 02 Apr 2015, 12:37

I'm getting ready to build an night vision add-on for my air rifle, to take care of my back yard rat problem. I'm okay with buying a new scope for this, but would prefer to repurpose the one I already have, then buy a nice daytime scope to go with my other air rifle.

This is my scope: http://centerpoint.crosman.com/scopes/a ... PA416AORG2

Does anyone know if this is at all usable for night vision? My ranges are typically short. My shots are typically 15-25 yards (lasered), but some are as close as 9 yards, and once at 4 yards. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't take the closest shots anymore.

If it's not usable, I think I'd rather go scopeless than buy a scope for this. My consistent, short ranges seem like a perfect fit for scopeless.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Crosman Centerpoint 4-16x40mm AO Usable?

Post by phoenix » 02 Apr 2015, 13:20

Although your scope parallaxes down to 10 yards, when using IR to illuminate your target, the parallax normally has to be set much closer than for visible light.
At the close ranges you're anticipating shooting at, it's possible you won't get the scope to focus when you switch on the IR.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

smoketest

Post by smoketest » 02 Apr 2015, 13:55

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping for the best, though. The minimum objective adjustment is actually 5 yards, even has a 5 yard mark on the dial. I think I may have gotten an older model when I ordered. I bought the same scope again for the second rifle and got one with a 10 yard minimum. I tested it and I think it's more like 7. The one with the 5 yard mark might be 7 too, for all I know.

Yeah, I cheaped out big time on optics, they're not especially nice airguns either (Marauder .22 Carbine and Marauder .25).

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 02 Apr 2015, 16:32

One of my scopes is the Centerpoint 4-16x56 and although not quite the same as yours, it is by far the best scope I've used for night vision add-ons.
Basically it's a rebadged Leapers/UTG and very very similar to the AGS Swat scopes that were the one to have for this job a few years ago, unfortunately it's no longer available, I've been trying to get another one for some time but now given up.
I hope the optics in yours are as well suited to NV work, I've never had a problem focusing down to what I call close range ( but I refuse to get as near as 5 yards to a rat, knowingly anyway. )
The smaller diameter objective lens on your scope should give you a greater depth of field (DOF) than mine so you might be lucky.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

smoketest

Post by smoketest » 02 Apr 2015, 17:03

Well that's reassuring to hear!

My EJ230 arrives tomorrow, got the screen today but the power cable wasn't soldered on the circuit board properly, and fell off when I pulled the screen out of the box. Normally I'd just return it, but I'm impatient and decided to crack it open and just solder it back on myself. Problem is, I can't find where the wires are supposed to go, nothing looks like anything's been ripped off. I'm guessing the pair of solder pads on opposite corners of the 3iTEK chip are it, but I don't know polarity and don't want to fry the thing.

If anybody has a shot of the 5" 800x480 screen's insides so I can see where to reconnect the power cable, I'd be extremely appreciative if you could post it so I can fix mine. If not, I'll be using my EzCap and laptop temporarily, provided there's no latency in the video feed through it.

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 02 Apr 2015, 20:56

Post your question in the DIY section Smokey, you'll be more likely to get a response especially if you stick a photo up, everyone on here likes photo's. :)

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 02 Apr 2015, 21:19

chas wrote:Post your question in the DIY section Smokey, you'll be more likely to get a response especially if you stick a photo up, everyone on here likes photo's. :)

Chas chas. You got a smokey on your six good buddy, come on back

Sorry, been watching convoy :lol:
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 02 Apr 2015, 21:36

sunndog wrote:
chas wrote:Post your question in the DIY section Smokey, you'll be more likely to get a response especially if you stick a photo up, everyone on here likes photo's. :)

Chas chas. You got a smokey on your six good buddy, come on back

Sorry, been watching convoy :lol:
That's an old film now Adam and my memory might be a bit faded but something like " Breaker breaker one nine "rubber dick",there's a bear on my rear" :o seems a relevant response.
It was "dick" wasn't it ????

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 02 Apr 2015, 21:52

That a big 10-4 good buddy. got a lot lizard on me donkey....on the floor an lookin for more!
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

smoketest

Post by smoketest » 06 Apr 2015, 01:57

The rest of my parts got here, with the exception of the heatsink for the illuminator (I'm building it myself out of some 3W LEDs and a sacrificed flashlight). Put it all together, and hey, my scope works great! Crosshair is nice and crisp, and the target too. I'm outputting video to my laptop via an EzCAP.TV 116, which is also working great. I hear lots of people have issues with the driver and audio, but I couldn't care less about that. One day I'll get a proper PVR, but that day is not today.

Thanks for the help, guys. Going to smack some rats tonight, illuminator or not. Shot four on ambient light without night vision, so I bet this will probably work well enough without IR. If not, I've got a couple IR lasers in the 100mW-500mW range lying around, though frankly the idea of strapping that to my gun terrifies me. Forget it's on, point the gun at something reflective and hello permanent eye damage.