Sightron S TAC 2.5-17.5X56

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Sightron S TAC 2.5-17.5X56

Post by cliveward » 21 Nov 2015, 17:47

Hi All,

I've been doing some testing with these over the past week. This model in particular with the Ward D Vision 700 and our new B672 and B501 Black Sun IRs:

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/sight ... 2x18762291

The main niggle we get from our customers is that they want a quality scope that will also work with our NV. Well this is it.

Suffice to say it's an extremely good day scope and there are plenty of reviews that cover it's day use out there. It's very well made and very very sharp!

Now getting onto using it at night...

I compared it to the ubiquitous Mamba 4-16x50.

Both scopes managed to get out happily to 350m onto my test target at 12x mag. :thumbup:

The Mamba gave a brighter image and was arguably letting more IR in through it's lenses, but the Sightron is just sharper and gives a more detailed image.

Now I thought the Mamba was letting more IR through, but that may not have been the case. I did a bit of testing around the buildings where there are some security lights at the same target (now at 400m) and the Mamba suffered from horrible internal reflections that made it unuseable and washed the image completely out. The Sightron gave a perfect image as though the light sources just weren't there.

I think that the mamba appeared to have a brighter image even at long range because of this internal reflection causing the blooming and appearance of a brighter, albeit less well defined, image.

At closer range the Sightron gave a much punchier better contrast image than the MTC as well. The 17.5x mag was useable out to 250m.

Winding down to 6-8x mag where the WDV can make use of the bigger exit pupil, then the scope was punching right out to 500-600m :thumbup:

The reticule is fine, but easy to see and place on target and the illuminated reticule is compatible with the WDV.

The new controls are very night friendly too. They have done away with the Nighforce aping knurling and gone with their own design of grip on these new models. The side focus is very easy to turn and is not marked, so you can set your zero focus and mark it your self or even put a tactile blob on it so you can feel where that zero spot is for range finding at night. The zoom ring has a lever on it which works out at a handy 6x vertical and 10x when aligned with the IR housing so you don't get lost on the mag range at night.

All in all, I'm very impressed with this scope.

I suspect the MTC will be moved to the 'reference' shelf and one of these put into service on the .223 :thumbup:

In closing it's as good a day scope as you could possibly want and with NV it will see further than you would ever need to shoot at night. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Sightron S TAC 2.5-17.5X56

Post by phoenix » 21 Nov 2015, 18:58

Clive,
I completely agree, the Sightron is far and away the best scope I've used with an add-on and which is still an excellent quality day scope.
Marky spotted the potential of this scope a while back and posted about it, but I didn't pick up on it at the time, but recently bought one from a shooting buddy and I'm now completely converted to it.
Even with the mag at x17.5 there is still a usable image (which is way more than any other scope I've ever tried) and down at x10-x12 the image is superb.
Another thing I like about it is that it has long eye relief which means that I can mount the scope a long way forward on the rifle and still get a good sight picture without the add-on and still be able to mount the rifle comfortably with the add-on.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

JP1

Post by JP1 » 21 Nov 2015, 19:25

Exactly the set up i have been using for about a year??now. Exactly the same results.

Only downsize is that it is a big old lump for carry work.

Still won't be changing

weejohn

Post by weejohn » 03 Jan 2016, 22:41

I am really interested in this scope.

I currently use an archer but I am slightly concerned there would not be enough bearing surface behind the illumination knob for attaching the archer bayonet ?

Could someone please measure it for me please ?

I know most of the talk is regarding digital add ons but would this work equally as good with tubed gear?

John

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 03 Jan 2016, 23:55

weejohn wrote:I know most of the talk is regarding digital add ons but would this work equally as good with tubed gear?

If it works well with digi it will work well with tubed.....not always the other way round though
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Ah8217bris

Post by Ah8217bris » 17 Jul 2016, 20:03

Hi Clive

Have you tried the sightron siii 6-24x50 at all?

shadowman8291

Post by shadowman8291 » 22 Oct 2016, 12:50

I purchased one of these scopes in preparation for the arrival of my new WDV, and all I can say is WOW! I mounted it on my Annie 1517 and took it to a friends farm to zero it.
Firstly I was delighted that my shooting buddy, who believes that if a scope isn't made by Leupold, it isn't worth looking through, had to grudgingly admit, the image quality is stunning!
Winding through the magnification range the sight picture remains super sharp and crisp and I love the 4A reticle, unfussy but drawing your eye to the central dot, which illuminates from the very dimmest of dims through to ridiculously bright with an off position between each level.
All in all, I think you'd have to look long and hard to find a day scope this good for the money anywhere else.
Just can't wait to try it out with WDV800L, when it arrives!
Best wishes
Mike

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 22 Oct 2016, 13:14

Is the central dot a remote/floating type or only becomes a dot when illuminated, any chance of a pic of it please ?

shadowman8291

Post by shadowman8291 » 22 Oct 2016, 15:22

Hi blueroll, you may have just discovered the limit of my computing knowledge! I can't work out how to upload the image from imagebucket on my phone. I'll see if can do it on the laptop later this evening.
Best wishes
Mike

hairlesshunter

Post by hairlesshunter » 22 Oct 2016, 16:25

shadowman8291 wrote:Hi blueroll, you may have just discovered the limit of my computing knowledge! I can't work out how to upload the image from imagebucket on my phone. I'll see if can do it on the laptop later this evening.
Best wishes
Mike
I think you just copy and paste from photobucket that's what did and worked not sure how :D