clip on vs fixed thermal

teocdoc

clip on vs fixed thermal

Post by teocdoc » 12 Dec 2015, 14:47

I'm looking at getting a Night Optics Panther 336 thermal scope vs a clip on. I want it for hog, beaver and smaller varmint hunting. Any thoughts appreciated.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: clip on vs fixed thermal

Post by phoenix » 12 Dec 2015, 16:13

If the Pulsar Apex XD50 is available in the USA, then I'd say it will be just as good as the Panther and probably quite a bit cheaper.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 12 Dec 2015, 16:20

Just looked at this again
You can get an Armasight Zeus 336 for $5994. it has a 75mm lens which will give you more magnification.
Armasight build quality is excellent (their Drone Pro digital NV scope is very highly regarded in the UK)
I've never heard of the Panther brand so can't comment on their quality and reliability, but personally I'd go for the Armasight.

Cheers

Bruce

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 23 Dec 2015, 15:19

..poor varmints, dont stand a chance against thermal :lol:

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 23 Dec 2015, 15:23

just go to opticsplanet.com they have loads of thermal sights but the top end ones are ITAR restricted so they wont sell them to us, although if you get someone in the states to buy it they might be able to post it to you. I was looking at the TWS II thermal sights by Ratheon (I think) that the US military use, they have a human detction range of over 2km, but I couldnt find the technical specs for that unit. I like to know the pixel pitch/spatial resolution and size of lens being used so I check the manufacturers range claims against the Johnson's criteria.

Daniel

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Dec 2015, 15:51

I think this may be the Raytheon thermal weapon sight mentioned in your post
http://www.nitevis.com/ANPAS-13E.htm
Since the sensors are Vox it's a fair bet they are 17micron, although the latest Vox sensors are 640x512
Looking at the wide field of view values and running the numbers through my trusty field of view calculator, I came up with the following for the focal length of the lenses used on each model
LWTS - 21mm
MWTS - 35mm
HWTS - 70mm

In detection range terms they're not earth shattering - my 640x480 homebrew thermals with 75mm and 100mm lenses can beat all three of them.
What you'll be paying for is their ability to withstand the rough and tumble of military use.

Cheers

Bruce

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 23 Dec 2015, 15:59

Bruce,

Yes I think this might be the same one, there are more versions I think they keep updating them. Frustrating that they dont often include the pixel pitch in the specs seeing as its the most critical factor to determine range/resolution etc. I agree that for the quoted ranges it is likely to be 17 microns, im not sure if an amorphous silicone detector would differ in comparison to vanadium oxide, given the same specs. Your thermal imager sounds impressive, 100mm lenses are bloody expensive. Is it a shutterless detector? Are yuo familiar with Theroteknix systems here in the UK? they make some good thermal imagers with shutterless detectors.

Daniel

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Dec 2015, 16:15

My home brew thermals use 17 micron amorphous silicon detectors which are shutterless.
I buy them with matching lenses from SunCreative in China
http://www.suncti.com/en/products.aspx
I use their M500 core.

Cheers

Bruce

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 23 Dec 2015, 18:13

Nice, im glad the chinese have established themselves in the thermal imaging market now and have put a big dent in the FLIR Systems defacto monopoly. I cant stand FLIR they are the greediest *&*&^%$£" in the market place. A lot of the Chinese firms use good French ULIS detectors in their cameras as well.

Daniel