Cobra Merlin DSA for MTC scope and E700 adaptor

pickle
Stihl pickled

Cobra Merlin DSA for MTC scope and E700 adaptor

Post by pickle » 15 Mar 2016, 12:29

Would the pricey Cobra Merlin DSA standalone and collars provide for a straightforward fit with MTC Viper scopes using the E700 kit developed by Marky610 and briefly referred to in one of his YT videos. Unfortunately when I tried the cheaper Pulsar adapter it did not have the correct collar nor seem ideally suited to MTC scopes of this flavour (those without the illuminated reticle lump on top of the rear optic) without having to machine it and or make a new collar.
Last edited by pickle on 15 Mar 2016, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

warbucks

Re: Cobra Merlin DSA for MTC scope and E700 adaptor

Post by warbucks » 15 Mar 2016, 21:29

Fitting a Pulsar DSA to a MTC viper scope.

When using n/v on the viper it usually needs the ocular winding out to get the crosshairs bold, hold the Cobra DSA and n/v on the scope while looking through it, and adjust the ocular and n/v to get the crosshairs bold, when you have done this there might be say a 2/3mm gap between the ocular and the main body of the scope, cut some black insulating tape to this width and fill this void until its flush with the main body of the scope, slide the DSA fully on the scope and mark where it finishes on the main body of the scope, then use the full width of the black insulating tape and start from the pencil line BACK, and build it up to a thickness where the DSA just goes on, the just tighten it to hold it there.

The above method is used to make all scopes the same diameter, so the n/v can be swoped from one rifle to another without having to muck about with different shim's .

Dave (warbucks)

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 15 Mar 2016, 22:09

Hi warbucks, tried the Pulsar on my viper and sent it back, given the popularity of MTC scopes I would have expected there to be a collar enclosed that fitted without resorting to tape! The gap between the ocular and main body is @ 4.86mm on my Viper 6x24x56 - a lot of slack. My eyes are not good but I like the scope optics and can see especially well with the little E700 on board. I would say that this problem causes the ocular to 'droop' to about a degree or so with the precision kit attached - which is quite heavy in my view. This droop problem is widely reported elsewhere on the net but not very well documented on this forum. I'm afraid the Pulsar did not live up to my expectations and was thus rejected. I should add that the reticle is well defined day or night and I am very pleased especially in the dark - oh man. However, I was incredulous to see that the 'precision Marky/SURE' adapter kit avec E700 worked 'out of the box', it was a bleddy revelation. I've been waiting for kit like this since 1996, never believing it would be within my grasp in my lifetime. I am unable to tell you how much it means to me. However, I SHALL get the bleddy diy kit up and running or expire in the event - you Marky my words. Good on ya Dave. Regards to you.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 15 Mar 2016, 22:50

Dismissing the insulating tape idea.
Cobra and pulsar DSA's only grip at the front on the shim, which is 10mm, ok the cobra DSA is the best one of these's type available and depending on scope and n/v weight CAN be a solid fix, but they are very expensive.
With the insulated tape idea if you build the thickness to the maximum so that you can JUST slip it on, this will give you at least 19mm of supporting area.
The "Wardy 700" IMO has a poor in built DSA and IMO require this additional support as do some other n/v scope combination's.
Part of the problem with DSA's like the Pulsar is that when the ocular is wound out the DSA half clamp's on the main scope body and the other half is in the void area clamping on nothing, even if you had the right size shim it would be half clamping on nothing, the Cobra DSA is longer so does get a better grip on the main tube body.
Scope's are sold as scopes they haven't been designed with a night vision add on in mind, if so MTC wouldn't have that stupid knurled ocular for which you have to file one lip off the shim then fit the shim on the scope then slide the DSA on.
There are a few thing's not perfect in the n/v world, you've just get to do what you need to, to make it work for you.

Dave (warbucks)

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 16 Mar 2016, 00:11

It is indeed an imperfect world and I try and square it up with words I guess. Anyway am going the plastic diy route sob now. I usually vote with my feet and make things work - after a fashion. If nothing is said then nothing changes. A chap I met once or twice had a mantra and maintained - good better best, never let it rest until.......words of wisdom. Well warbucks you just talked me out of comercially manufactured DSA's. Good man. I feel the force with your passion.