Best scope for NV add on

jrn

Re: Best scope for NV add on

Post by jrn » 18 Dec 2014, 13:12

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 x 50 works fine for me. never looked at another scope after buying a couple of these. :thumbup:

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 24 Jan 2015, 15:29

Fox Hunter wrote:What's the BEST scope for use with an NV add on?

Does it matter or make any difference if it's used with GEN 1,2 or 3?

What actually makes it the BEST?

Who's got one for sale cheap? :lol:

Has anybody tried the Nightforce NXS Compact with a Digi add on.
I noticed that they do an illuminated version with night vision compatible settings and parrallex down to 25yds.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 17 Feb 2015, 20:16

The question was asked in this thread before but not really answered, so once again if you do not mind:
Are the fully multi coated lens systems of high end scopes like Zeiss, S&B and Swarovski a disadvantage in combination with a camera type add on and an IR illuminator?
Is it likely that these layers of different coatings more or less block certain wavelenghts of IR light passing through the scope onto the camera sensor and therfor have a negative effect on the picture quality, compared to the quality obtained through a scope with less complicated lens coatings?
No fence is too tall.......

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 18 Feb 2015, 00:07

It's my understanding that high end scopes like Swarovski S&B, and Zeiss are optimised for the low light conditions which exist at dawn and dusk.
At those times of day the visible spectrum has more light from the blue end of the spectrum and less from the red end, so the manufacturers apply lens coatings which are optimised for the blue end of the spectrum.
Those coatings can significantly reduce the amount of IR passing through the scope so that they don't perform as well with an add-on as some cheaper scopes which have lens coatings which are better at transmitting IR.
Another factor to be considered is that the side focus on most of the high end scopes won't go down far enough to allow the target to be focussed at typical NV shooting distances

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Gloop

Post by Gloop » 18 Feb 2015, 13:17

Err I would have to argue the point on that Bruce because apparently the bestest scope to use with an archer is a PMII, followed by a z6 swaro. Now whether that also applies to digital which the op is asking for I have no idea. Oh and the PMII parallaxs down to 10 meters. Anybody got £2700 for a scope?

I think we reall need to get another Marky test with a load of addons and different scopes and illuminators and spend a week going through and measuring distance to view.

It is a complex subject and it does seem to vary depending on the scope.

BUNFIGHT anyone?

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 18 Feb 2015, 13:26

Totally agree with you Gloop.

I think the 'coatings' myth was started by Baldie because he was a tight arse and wouldn't spend the money on decent glass :mrgreen:

When it was said that add on's didn't work on expensive designer scopes it was because of the parallax not going below 50 yards and we all know they need to go to about 40 yards to fool the optics into focusing. There are other issues with some of the better scopes as in long eye relief and variable eye relief but that differs from scope to scope.

If everyone wants to send me their scopes and add on's I'll happily spend all night sitting in a field testing them :thumbup:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 18 Feb 2015, 15:48

That is exactly my point. Over here most hunters who go out at night first invest in the best scope they can affort and then they start thinking about NV.
I can't complain about my S&B Zenith 3-12x50 with an e700 add on, but a friend who uses the same add on with an older 3-12x56 Swarovski has much less benefit of his setup.
No fence is too tall.......