Best scope for NV add on

Fox Hunter

Re: Best scope for NV add on

Postby Fox Hunter » 25 Oct 2011, 18:49

I looked at a mamba lite 3-12x* today, only looked 100yrds through it at a roof but didn't think it was as bad in daylight as I expected. What I noticed was how tight everything was, the parrallax adjuster and the magnification ring seemed hard to turn.

Do these loosen with use?

Is it easy to fit a dsa with the knurled eye relief adjuster?

andrewluke

Postby andrewluke » 01 Nov 2011, 22:28

has anyone tried the hawke varmint side focus scopes with an add-on,if so what were the results,any info would be much appreciated,

thanks andrew

Gloop

Postby Gloop » 09 Nov 2011, 22:50

My previous post seems to have got lost in the hiccup so I will do one again. but here is a vague explanation about scopes for Newbies.

Why would anybody want to spend £1,000 on a scope when you can buy one for £150?
Quality quality quality. That's why.
If you are a deer stalker then a quality scope will work 10 to 20 minutes longer that a cheap scope. IE dusk, and that is often when you are going to get your shot, if you have spent a few hours out stalking a deer you don't want to miss it because you can't see it at last light. Now I do a little bit of stalking and can definitely tell you a good scope is a must. When your cheap scope shows blackness the expensive scope will be letting you clearly identify your deer.
They will be accurate and the point of aim will be constant what ever the zoom you use. I had a cheapish? scope that changed point of impact from 11pm to 9pm by changing zoom from 24 to 16. This doesn't happen with all cheap scopes as many people here will testify, myself included.
Expensive scopes are built to endure years of work in the field. They have a very high standard of build quality to ensure that dust and dirt doesn't penetrate and can work to extreme temperatures. Look at fieldsports britian on youtube when they went to visit the Zeiss factory. Very interesting.

So do you need an expensive scope for night vision work?

Well speaking as a person with expensive scopes I would say, No. You do not need the last light view. If you are out with NV you will be using extra illumination such as lasers, leds or just a lamp at night so a good cheap scope does a good job. I have an AGS and get a great image. I have used various cheap scopes and generally they work great. I also use Leupolds and am very happy with the performance.

So what differences are there between a scope that will work well with NV and ones that don't.
Well it can be a bit like a bright torch and a not so bright torch. The bright torch will shine out to 50 meters and the not so bright torch will shine out to 35 and then fades away. Ok so I am being simplistic but you get the picture.
It is also about providing a crisp and clear image to see your target clearly what ever zoom you use. This is why you need side parallax adjustable scopes. You can use front parallax adjustable scope, but, trust me on this. You will get cheesed off very quickly unless you have laid bait out and preset your scope to the distance that the bait is set at.
The Parallax is the bit that will focus the image, just like using a pair of binos at different distances. You have to focus the image to get it clear.
Another point to consider when choosing a scope. I had one that if I tried to use above 6 mag started to white out. I never figured out why it happened but it was only with one scope. I got shot of that and never had the problem again. But be aware of it. I can use all my scopes to max zoom if I need to.

Now whilst I am on a roll and with 3 hernias to be taken care of, it doesn't happen very often, lets talk about illumination. If you are going to buy a NV unit the likelihood is you are going to need extra illumination. Lasers like the N1000 are popular, I quite like the IR illuminator that you used to get from Deben. you can get torchs with IR filters. Plenty out there. Do some research and talk to people.

OK so why do you want extra illumination?
1. eyeshine. you are out in the middle of a ploughed field and there are clumps of mud everywhere that you see when you look through the NV unit. Switch the IR on and suddenly you realise that a number of those clumps have eyes. Hmmm, dinner maybe?
2. Distance, the IR can extend the viable view out further. you may find that you can see clearly out another 100 yards.
3. Add ons. NV units that clip on to the back of a scope need extra light to be able to see. Sometimes they are useless without the extra illumination.

So sorry for my ramble. What is my main advise? Same as I hear from people who have gone through the same as me.
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, RESEARCH WHAT IS OUT THERE IN YOUR BUDGET, TALK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE HERE ON THE FORUMS, BUT YOU REALLY CANNOT BEAT SEE THE UNIT IN ACTION. There are organised nv meets occasionally, try to get to one of them.

Oh dear, went off on one tonight. Time for me to lie down whilst someone out there checks to see what I wrote is correct and add in what ever I missed.

Gloop

I am available for boring after dinner speeches provided you ply me with alcohol. :D

chas
Banned again

Postby chas » 09 Nov 2011, 23:22

Goodness me Mr Gloop :)
What a well written piece that is.

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Postby Silent Shooter » 09 Nov 2011, 23:33

Thank you for that ;) i could read posts like that all night :)
Geoff

Gloop

Postby Gloop » 10 Nov 2011, 10:11

You should hear my explanation on the different Generations :D

Gloop

Postby Gloop » 10 Nov 2011, 10:14

And from what I can remember the Hawke varmint side parallax scopes are ok with NV. I should be able to double check this weekend. I will ask Bruce to bring one to the meeting Saturday and will try it.

chas
Banned again

Postby chas » 10 Nov 2011, 14:08

Gloop wrote:And from what I can remember the Hawke varmint side parallax scopes are ok with NV. I should be able to double check this weekend. I will ask Bruce to bring one to the meeting Saturday and will try it.

Mine (2.5-10x44) is ok if you stay in the bottom half of the mag range, but above that it's bloody awful with the image centre whiting out, tried two mono's about 5 different illuminators and still the same.

Charlts

Postby Charlts » 10 Nov 2011, 15:32

I'm a bit of a newbie with NV but have been getting on great using either a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40, VX3 4-12x40 either fixed or side px and my little Leup MK4 2.5 8x36.

That's using a Sony camcorder and Odiforce.

Gloop

Postby Gloop » 10 Nov 2011, 16:51

Mine (2.5-10x44) is ok if you stay in the bottom half of the mag range, but above that it's bloody awful with the image centre whiting out, tried two mono's about 5 different illuminators and still the same.[/quote]

Well if you white out then I would put that as a "No, it ain't any good. I think you should be able to use the full range. I will try to get it tested with a 3-12x50 or such.

And Leupolds are good. I have 2 VXIIIs 4.5-14x50 and they preform excellent up to 14 mag. Only downside is that even secondhand they are more than a highend cheap scope would cost.

Return to “Best scope for nightvison add-on.”