Open up the forum to those wishing to view.

Tell us your thoughts on improving the forum.
Springer

Open up the forum to those wishing to view.

Post by Springer » 25 Nov 2013, 15:15

Can I suggest the forum allow non members to have full access to the forum and its search facility, the only restriction should be that they cannot post unless they register.

I know there are different trains of thought with regard to this but here is an example that falls foul of the current structure. Today I have spoken to Thomas Jacks about the Photon and its well documented problems, they asked me for links to discussions regarding this and of course any links to this forum are not really usable as they would have to go to the trouble of registering first.

I also know from my own experience as a forum owner in a different area that open forums usually attract more contributors in the long run, people often like to look and read for a while before joining and ultimately contributing, I see no value in keeping this place closed to non members as it is now.

bigste

Re: Open up the forum to those wishing to view.

Post by bigste » 25 Nov 2013, 21:06

:thumbup: I agree 100%
(Dyslexia is characterized by difficulty with learning to read fluently and with accurate comprehension despite normal) just bear with me please !

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 25 Nov 2013, 21:08

Duly noted.

George

andybig

Post by andybig » 25 Nov 2013, 21:15

Or they could just sign up like everyone else????
As far as im aware the whole idea with adding your location is to bring like minded people together,
Especially if they live in the same area.
It makes for a nice friendly forum (Many other forums of any type are not so nice)

I say "If it ain't broken dont fix it"

Ps. i love this forum. :thumbup:

Springer

Post by Springer » 25 Nov 2013, 21:21

Opening the forum doesn't change that Andy, they would still have to register and give their location etc before they started posting.

The point is its making things more difficult for the guy from Thomas Jacks to read our feedback, its much easier for him to say he cant be bothered to register, people do that. Making things easy is no bad thing while you can still keep the standards the same when it comes to people joining and interacting with us.

You could easily argue that keeping a forum closed to all but members is quite unfriendly/cliquey and hardly very welcoming. Im sure I want the same as you which is a friendly forum with lots of information exchanges, the point being are we currently going about achieving this the best way?

bigste

Post by bigste » 25 Nov 2013, 22:23

I think to have 500 members that have read from the forum and have then decided to join the forum, will be more benifical ,
If 1000 join but only 200 participate because its not what they thought,it means nothing.to have 1000 members.
I know I'm very new, I to love this place and spend a lot of time reading on here,
I have already had very good help from a few of members on here, but it was only after seeing a vid on YouTube that I joined,, I have looked at a few forums, they also were locked to none members so I just left, as I'm sure many others have,

Cheers,
(Dyslexia is characterized by difficulty with learning to read fluently and with accurate comprehension despite normal) just bear with me please !

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 25 Nov 2013, 22:52

Well some very interesting comments so far and to be honest its something George and myself have discussed in the early days,we will no doubt have a chat about it again in a few days giving other members a chance to add there comments :thumbup:

Geoff

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 25 Nov 2013, 23:23

I think that our main concern is that you'd have people who read the forum without having to join, glean the information they need, and then bugger off without joining, and more importantly, without contributing anything to the forum and without any acknowledgement to the kind members who furnished the information in the first place.

Devils advocate

George.

Springer

Post by Springer » 26 Nov 2013, 00:00

PESCA wrote:I think that our main concern is that you'd have people who read the forum without having to join, glean the information they need, and then bugger off without joining, and more importantly, without contributing anything to the forum and without any acknowledgement to the kind members who furnished the information in the first place.

Devils advocate

George.
We all learn from forums George, there shouldnt have to be any pay back.

Forums the world over have a small number of people who contribute the majority of the quality, this quality IMHO shouldnt be traded to others in return for a membership registration. Forums get their quality for free and they should share it with others in a likewise fashion I believe, of course you dont have to agree and I respect that the decisions is yours and Silent Shooters as joint owners.

In my experience you are far more likely to get someone coming back with a contribution after they have learned something here than you would if they turned heel at the door because they didnt want to join. Personally I dont usually join forums that force me to register, I only did it with this one because there was no alternative UK based NV forum, something you cant guarantee wont emerge in the future and I really wanted some info.

You have a good head start over the potential competition, keep moving forwards and make it easy for others to share in what good you have here.