Does DIY nightvision affect accuracy?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
fitzytzr

Post by fitzytzr » 13 Apr 2015, 09:39

i have juts completed my first home build and before i test it im wondering will the accuracy be affected or will i have to re-zero my rifle at night.. its mounted on a .17hmr rifle which is zeroed at 100 yards any help would be great...

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Does DIY nightvision affect accuracy?

Post by some bloke » 13 Apr 2015, 09:47

It should not affect your zero.

You are basically just viewing what comes through your occular lens with a camera that can see at lower wavelengths than the human eye.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 13 Apr 2015, 11:45

Any "ADD ON" n/v system, weather it by tubed or digital, it will be the same zero as in the day light, what will alter is the parrallax setting this will need to be adjusted a lot more to get your focus clear at different ranges, it will also be at a lower yard-age at night, a tipical 100yds at night will be around a 20 yd parrallax setting.

Dave (warbucks)

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 13 Apr 2015, 13:54

Even my new zoom camera that goes into the EDNV does not make any difference on accuracy or holding Zero!

Kind regards Splatty

fitzytzr

Post by fitzytzr » 13 Apr 2015, 16:26

thanks for the replies guys much appreciated!!!

Mk3HuntsmanSam

Post by Mk3HuntsmanSam » 13 Apr 2015, 20:48

When you fit the add on remember to check your zero and adjust as necessary. The camera may sit in a slightly different position to where you place your eye.

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 13 Apr 2015, 21:11

Mk3HuntsmanSam wrote:When you fit the add on remember to check your zero and adjust as necessary. The camera may sit in a slightly different position to where you place your eye.
It makes no difference unless you hold the rifle in some bizarre way when zeroing it.

What can effect the poi is if you mount on the adjustment part of the eye bell as some have found that some droop a little, mount on the scope and theres no problem.
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 14 Apr 2015, 03:32

I shoot off the 4WD door mirror bracket and was field testing a new add-on rig this morning. I couldn't steer the car enough because of a sand pit to keep track of a nervous bunny this morning as it kept moving left towards a hedge and stopping. Long story short the greenkeeper wants the hole digging stopped so I manouvered the rifle round the door pillar and shot it whilst looking at the 5" screen from about a 30 degree angle rather than leave it for another day.

It was one of those times I wish I'd had a recorder behind me showing what I did because it was a perfect 90 yard headshot. I should point out that the monitor is located ahead of the turrets and that would not have been as doo-able if it were much further back.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 16 Apr 2015, 17:05

The p.o.i of my .30-06 is an intended +4cm @100 m without e700 add on and +6cm @100m with e700 add on, probably due to added weight to the scope and different recoil forces due to different handling. I don't believe the line of sight through the scope is influenced by the add on.
No fence is too tall.......

cadman777

Post by cadman777 » 14 Nov 2017, 22:06

Hi Guys,
I realize this is a late posting, but I just did a DIY build and this is the thread that fit my situation.
Basically, the pellet flies about 1" high-right off center at about 2:00.
When I took the camera off the scope and shot using just the scope optics, I get my usual group of about .25" @ 10 yards all on the "X".
So this camera setup is off somehow.
Any ideas what might be the problem?
I'm using a pump .17 cal Crossman, and it's purpose is 'ratting'.
Thanx ... Chris