OOOOOPS 2 more VF-C2 units wasted !!!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Re: OOOOOPS 2 more VF-C2 units wasted !!!

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Jun 2015, 18:13

:thumbdown: sorry, as soon a i noticed the video of it being raytek :thumbdown: as I know that its great stuff for protecting from corrosion but as it's
more like jelly, has minima shockproofing properties !

I think your 3d printing will be great like you said to incorporate your builds, but if you can picture the individual components, joints on the board, connections, any weak points under vibration eventually fail. and that is fact, it's just a matter of time depending on the quality of the product and the amount of shock being applied to it.

I have driven a car over a circuit board that was potted just to prove a point to a friend, it was like a solid block.....now try that with an un-potted
VF-C2 :lolno:

Kind regards Splatty

Mick Miller

Post by Mick Miller » 14 Jun 2015, 19:00

What would you recommend for potting compound then (by PM if you prefer). I was using the magic rubber not for potting but to create custom o-rings and seals for my units, buttons, membranes that kind of thing. It's totally superb for that.

I guess you need a more solid compound, the trouble is I'd need to find a two pack system as I'm only using small amounts at a time.

The Magic Rubber isn't like the magic gel, it's much more solid once set, but not totally solid. The magic gel is too soft in my opinion for anything other than enclosures where you can completely fill the void.

By the way, out of interest, do you pot your cameras too - as by the same token surely they will fail too?

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Jun 2015, 21:19

Mick Miller wrote:What would you recommend for potting compound then (by PM if you prefer). I was using the magic rubber not for potting but to create custom o-rings and seals for my units, buttons, membranes that kind of thing. It's totally superb for that.

I guess you need a more solid compound, the trouble is I'd need to find a two pack system as I'm only using small amounts at a time.

The Magic Rubber isn't like the magic gel, it's much more solid once set, but not totally solid. The magic gel is too soft in my opinion for anything other than enclosures where you can completely fill the void.

By the way, out of interest, do you pot your cameras too - as by the same token surely they will fail too?
On my EDNV builds I have potted even the smallest board so I can safely sell to customers without recoil damage worry !

The stuff I use comes in 50ml twin barrel tubes, the lids can be put back on so no waste once open, comes with a mixing nozzle too , they are only £4 each + postage......so if you want one just PM me. OH and they dry transparent so you can see the circuit and pot LED's if you like!

Mick Miller

Post by Mick Miller » 14 Jun 2015, 22:36

Yes please. Pm inbound dear boy!

Alpha_AK 97

Post by Alpha_AK 97 » 15 May 2018, 13:40

Could you use clear epoxy to pot a Vf-c2?
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
So,pull that trigger,and shoot for your Dreams!"

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 15 May 2018, 18:28

Alpha_AK 97 wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:40
Hi, it depends on the epoxy but most are a no, the reason you use potting compound is it has no conductor in the material and it is designed to to take shock and 100% water resistant when applied correctly !

I had one customer attempt to use silicone sealant in his build and it failed after a week :lolno:

Kind regards crs

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 15 May 2018, 18:28

Alpha_AK 97 wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:40
Hi, it depends on the epoxy but most are a no, the reason you use potting compound is it has no conductor in the material and it is designed to to take shock and 100% water resistant when applied correctly !

I had one customer attempt to use silicone sealant in his build and it failed after a week :lolno:

Kind regards crs

Alpha_AK 97

Post by Alpha_AK 97 » 15 May 2018, 23:26

Could It Be possibile to buy a unit from the site and have It shipped already potted,with the voltage regulator and the Rotary switch in a "bundle" with an Ej-230 camera? Could the price come down a bit for that?
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
So,pull that trigger,and shoot for your Dreams!"

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 16 May 2018, 10:26

Alpha_AK 97 wrote:
15 May 2018, 23:26
Could It Be possibile to buy a unit from the site and have It shipped already potted,with the voltage regulator and the Rotary switch in a "bundle" with an Ej-230 camera? Could the price come down a bit for that?

If I’m going to wire up a regulator a switch and a viewfinder then bridge the switch and pot it, the unit taking a few days to complete, I cannot reduce the price :shock: the price should go the other way, I also do not sell the ej230 anymore as other camera are out now !

Crs

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 16 May 2018, 10:26

Alpha_AK 97 wrote:
15 May 2018, 23:26

If I’m going to wire up a regulator a switch and a viewfinder then bridge the switch and pot it, the unit taking a few days to complete, I cannot reduce the price :shock: the price should go the other way, I also do not sell the ej230 anymore as other camera are out now !

Crs