Cheapest Night Build

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Cheapest Night Build

Post by sunndog » 16 Dec 2015, 17:14

Yep thats the right camera fella
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 16 Dec 2015, 17:26

in the USA, huh?

go to LOWES, and pick up a 1-1/4" coupler... cost you all of about 78 cents, lol

1+1/4" coupler is the piece that connects two pieces of 1+1/4" pvc sch 40

e700 is a "press fit" to the "lip" in the middle inside... use then "whatever" couplers/pvc pipe to get on your scope, and adjust length by adjusting the length of PVC pipe... wrap tape around the eyepiece housing, to shim up to the coupler that fits over your eyepiece... you just take your scope to the hardware store, and "wing it", fitting stuff to it...

but, the 1-1/4" coupler? press fits the e700 tight in the inside lip, no modifications.
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

jax13

Post by jax13 » 16 Dec 2015, 17:49

sedstar wrote:in the USA, huh?

go to LOWES, and pick up a 1-1/4" coupler... cost you all of about 78 cents, lol

1+1/4" coupler is the piece that connects two pieces of 1+1/4" pvc sch 40

e700 is a "press fit" to the "lip" in the middle inside... use then "whatever" couplers/pvc pipe to get on your scope, and adjust length by adjusting the length of PVC pipe... wrap tape around the eyepiece housing, to shim up to the coupler that fits over your eyepiece... you just take your scope to the hardware store, and "wing it", fitting stuff to it...

but, the 1-1/4" coupler? press fits the e700 tight in the inside lip, no modifications.
its worth looking at a silicone hose (car turbo hose type stuff) as you can probably get a reducer that will be a push fit for your coupler to go into and then be close enough for a push fit on the scope (may need a little packing with tape first to make it snug enough) the 45mm - 32mm ones i mentioned earlier (a lot earlier!) seem to do the trick well enough for us just get the calipers across your scope and the outside of the coupler you use and find something close enough on ebay!

Ooops

Post by Ooops » 16 Dec 2015, 17:59

quickslvr wrote:I will need someone in UK to sell me some of the flowplast pieces that aren't available
X2 for the two floplast pieces, I can't get them here.
The artist formerly known as Jethro

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 16 Dec 2015, 18:10

That camera is even cheaper over there. :thumbup:

Remember to remove the IR filter - the filter is located with a fine strip of adhesive 'string' just around the perimeter. It can be pulled off with finger and thumb nails or a blade inserted under it.

Bruce came up with some magic about how two 18650's were more efficient than three for the E700 and 5" HD monitors. I can't find where it is and I have to say its well over my head.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 16 Dec 2015, 18:16

what size silicone hose fits tight over the E700??

30mm? 32mm?
http://www.hiprospeed.com/HPS-30mm-Sili ... 18-blk.htm
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 16 Dec 2015, 18:22

someone (i guess it was bruce?) said that TWO lithium ion batteries? ran the e700 just fine.

i wanna say it runs anywhere from 7 to 14 volts (i have run ej230 just fine off of running car juice, which is 13.8...

anyways, the claim was, that the e700 just resistors down the extra voltage and burns it off as heat if you use more than two lithiun ions... we usually use three to make the "12v" but he said it was unnecessary weight, and the e700 was just burning the excess voltage off as heat.

the SCREEN might need 12v, i dont know... but if you liek the vf2c or other near eye? they are like 5v, so, again any more than 2 lithium ion is un-necessary.

jax13

Post by jax13 » 16 Dec 2015, 18:44

sedstar wrote:what size silicone hose fits tight over the E700??

30mm? 32mm?
not the e700 - get hose with an internal diameter the same as the external diameter of your plumbing coupler that has the lip inside you currently use - that way you can be certain of a non-skewed camera mounting point. just stick a pair of calipers across one of your existing lowes fittings & use the silicone over the top to give you a slightly more flexible / grippy scope mount solution.

worth playing with to see if you find it easier / more versatile than what your currently doing.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 16 Dec 2015, 22:59

sedstar wrote:what size silicone hose fits tight over the E700??

30mm? 32mm?
Its not like you to get sums wrong sedders - E700 is 30mm square and 40.4ish mm corner to corner. :angel:

quickslvr

Post by quickslvr » 17 Dec 2015, 03:19

jax13 wrote:
Jeeze74 wrote:Im new to this forum and have to say I love the information provided and the discussions that have followed jax 13 first post, I am eager to get into using night vision and as I'm on this page you can tell I haven't loads of dosh to spend on the real deal .
My question for you jax13 is have you or are you going to post a video of the build as my problem (among others) is I'm not that tech savvy , I am good with my hands but stuff like circuit boards and the like scare me!!
All being well, when the build thread goes up I will offer 3 different takes on it.

First one is for those scared to cut wires (cables simply get gaffer taped into bundles with adaptors making the connections!) option 2 is an all in one build with spliced wires. This could either be soldered together inside heat shrink sleeving or by using terminal blocks if your scared to solder! Option 3 is where you solder connectors onto the relevant cables to do away with having adaptors and it also means you have the flexibility to switch to a dvr screen or an external battery if you want.

In my head it's a project that for camera, scope mounting hardware & monitor will cost sub £50. The only thing it will need is a pair of 18650's which can be bought as cheaply as a tenner a pair for something half decent. (and in theory you would have a charger for them in your illuminator budget)

Waiting on a couple of bits before I can start it properly but should be done in the next few days all being well.
I Missed reading this post eariler today. I am REALLY interested in this build as for sub 50... closer to $70-80USD that would be awesome! I have a ton of 18650's from a previous project. PLEASE PLEASE PM me when this post is up. I am not opposed to soldiering...

I still think I'll go with the E700 for my main build but.... I have several guns I would do IR for at that price point...