1/1.8" CMOS camera RunCam Night Eagle (Black & White Video Only, No Color)

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Re: 1/1.8" CMOS camera RunCam Night Eagle (Black & White Video Only, No Color)

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 02 Jun 2017, 19:01

phoenix wrote:
newcomer wrote:The problem of washout can be rectified with an adjustable iris, or lower watt IR lamp. A smaller iris should increase depth of view thus crispier image.
Agreed, but it won't solve the problem of the very slow frame rate needed to work at extremely low light levels.
Foe Astro work, you can easily have a frame rate of one frame every 8 minutes and still get a sharp image of the bit of the sky you're looking at.
For smooth video and no jerkiness in either camera movement or target movement you need at least 25 frames per second.
Clearly the camera has much less time to collect light at 25 frames per second than it does at 1 frame every 8 minutes, so it needs a much higher level of light before it can produce a decent image.

Cheers

Bruce

As usual you said it better than i can Bruce :thumbup:

newcomer

Post by newcomer » 05 Jun 2017, 02:52

The night eagle has 60fps, whereas the astro has 30fps. The OSD menu functionality is quite mind blowing:
http://occultations.org/documents/RunCa ... report.pdf

Anyways, have to wait to test for final verdict.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 05 Jun 2017, 08:28

That certainly is a comprehensive report and I'll admit that large parts of it went straight over my head.
However, I did pick up on the fact that for astro work the guy was using the Night Shutter which controls the level of light integration and appears to have settings of 1 field, 2 field, 4 fields and 8 fields.
An integration level of 1 field means that the camera is producing 1 image frame per second, and 8 fields mean that the camera is producing 1 image frame every 8 seconds.
As I said in my earlier post. to get video which is not jerky, a camera would need to operate at 25 frames per second (PAL) or 30 frames per second (NTSC).
Clearly, the camera cannot collect as much light in 1/25 or 1/30 second as it would in 1 second or 8 seconds, so, to get a decent image at 25 or 30 frames per second, the light level at the camera must be much higher than would be needed to produce an image at any of the Night Shutter settings.
Given what many other manufacturers have done when it comes to making claims for camera sensitivity, it would not surprise me if the claims made for this camera of extremely low light sensitivity are based on the camera being tested with the Night Shutter switched on and it set to 8 fields.
The Astro may well be capable of 30 fps, but it cannot be as light sensitive at 30 frames per second as it would be at 1 frame every 8 seconds.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 07 Jun 2017, 11:57

So, Bruce, conclusion from your last post:
There is still no evidence that RunCam Night Eagle can beat KT&C e700 as far as light sensivity is concearned?
No fence is too tall.......

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 Jun 2017, 12:21

Reindeer,
I have no conclusion because I have not seen either of these cameras in action in a night vision environment and not directly compared to the E700.
I simply wanted to to point out to "newcomer" that published specs, particularly on light sensitivity, always have to be treated with a lot of skepticism, particularly when numbers like 0.000005 lux are mentioned.
Other elements of "newcomers" post made me think that perhaps he doesn't have a great understanding of what the important attributes are for a good NV camera.
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong about that and that the Astro turns out to be significantly better than the E700.
We shall wait and see!!!

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 10 Jun 2017, 22:25

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:
phoenix wrote:
newcomer wrote:The problem of washout can be rectified with an adjustable iris, or lower watt IR lamp. A smaller iris should increase depth of view thus crispier image.
Agreed, but it won't solve the problem of the very slow frame rate needed to work at extremely low light levels.
Foe Astro work, you can easily have a frame rate of one frame every 8 minutes and still get a sharp image of the bit of the sky you're looking at.
For smooth video and no jerkiness in either camera movement or target movement you need at least 25 frames per second.
Clearly the camera has much less time to collect light at 25 frames per second than it does at 1 frame every 8 minutes, so it needs a much higher level of light before it can produce a decent image.

Cheers

Bruce

As usual you said it better than i can Bruce :thumbup:

itrpolated verses prescan...prescan being actualy 25 frames and the introperlated being actualy 50 frames, 2 per 25 if you know what i mean. (the intropolated for smoother vidio, prescan for better stills from the movie frames...i think?
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

sysrover

Post by sysrover » 18 Aug 2017, 21:43

At last i got night eagle.
I compare it with my icx673+Rj11 it was set on 4x sens-up.
The image with night eagle was same but with 4x sensup image little freeze. And in night eagle its fast and smooth.
If get night eagle astro. It have shutter up to 8. I think astro will be the best.

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 19 Aug 2017, 01:05

how's your icx673+RJ11 (without sens-up) compared to the E700/EJ230?

superslack

Post by superslack » 11 Sep 2017, 01:10

superslack wrote:The camera uses standard M12x0.5 board lenses. I have a 1/2" format C mount lens and adapter. I don't have any vignetting so I think I'm getting the full FOV advantage of the larger sensor.

It does have some foam in there behind the back plate, but I haven't had any electronic issue yet.

I plan to get Foxeer Night Wolf and compare to the Night Eagle, but that is likely a few months off.

Just got in the house from a little side by side test between the Night Eagle and the Night Wolf V2.

I used the same Pentax C61215KP f1.2 12mm 1/2" format lens on both cameras so each camera viewing was a couple minutes different. Unfortunately I don't have DVR yet. Without a doubt, the Night Eagle is WAY more low light sensitive than the Night Eagle V2.

I could easily see things 30 yards away with the Night Eagle with no IR assistance (some ambient sky light). With the Night Wolf V2, I had to add a considerable amount of IR and then the image would snap onto screen and be in focus.

The Night Eagle was able to provide good image with some noise with no IR. Add some IR and you have a nice sharp image. The Night Wolf V2 was dark, then a very noisy image with a decent amount of added IR, then a good image with no noise when enough IR was added.

Now, the Night Wolf V2 comes with a JST connector (I think that's what it's called) which I cut off to solder on a yellow composite video connector. I soldered the cable to the male portion of the connector. Pretty sure my connection is fine, but I've never spliced a video cable so not sure if that had something to do with it. The Night Eagle comes with a yellow composite video connector.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 11 Sep 2017, 06:05

I have been testing both and you are correct the night eagle is the best .....but what I found was due to sensitivity of the camera it can white out very easy. I had to put on the worst torch I had so could see at close ranges ....very clear and crisp at the lowest setting, then as you look further into the distance you have to up the power of your ir torch gradual so you don't white out the picture. Now some people would say this is great, it is one of the better ones I've founder. On a full moon you can see fantastic without even using the ir, a little bit of noise but usable but you won't get eye shine for obvious reasons, so can be hard to spot your target.
Don't get me wrong, the night eagle is great, I've been using it in some of my builds, but you do need a very adjustable torch that has power settings and good focus because you will be constantly adjusting to avoid whiteout !

Hope this helps !