Homemade nv scope 2

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
hutty33

Homemade nv scope 2

Post by hutty33 » 20 Nov 2016, 01:28

I made another trial nv scope today, a bit different to my last one. Runs on 1x26650 battery (or 1x18650 with a sleeve) which is changeable in the field, removable cap for adjusting focus, no external wires, 690 grams (that's with battery, torch and mounts etc.), I don't know run time yet but it looks promising (12v screen now runs on 5v). It's currently 250mm but I'll knock that down to about 220mm. I'll also make the screen twistable and hopefully the ability to tilt too.

Last edited by hutty33 on 22 Sep 2017, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Homemade nv scope 2

Post by some bloke » 20 Nov 2016, 03:33

Fanbludytastic build there. I especially like the multitask monitor fitting. :thumbup:

The Carbon fibre tube/wrap? also adds a lot to the overall build.

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 20 Nov 2016, 09:24

Outstanding build there :clap: , i can see that monitor idea becoming very popular.

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 20 Nov 2016, 10:00

Thanks gents.

Somebloke, it is carbon tube - I wanted something with strength and rigidity while being as light as it can be and no reaming etc. needed - this fits the bill perfectly.

jdk, I think it might, being free of external wires seems to be something a lot of people want. Obviously it won't work on add-on kits where the screen is to be mounted on the scope, but I have an idea for that (not sure how it'll work out at this point though).
Last edited by hutty33 on 20 Nov 2016, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 20 Nov 2016, 10:04

Fantastic work - we have a new star in our midst!!
That's a new take on a scopless build and one for those people who can't get on with near eye displays
The jack plug under the monitor plugging straight into the camera/battery body is a stroke of genius.
Brilliant work - keep it up :thumbup:

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 20 Nov 2016, 11:20

Great built there Bud :clap: :clap:

very neat and liking the carbon tube too :thumbup:

great to see some new ideas and DIY builds on the forum again, keep up the good work mate

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 20 Nov 2016, 13:45

Cheers guys - If I keep getting the comments I've had on this and my last thread I don't think my head will fit through the door lol. I thought my ideas on both (two so far - I still have others ;) ) of my 'designs' would be taken fairly well, but to read some of the things you guys have written (especially considering some of your builds, and that you are in the business so to speak) really has made me feel good about myself. My aim has been to start selling these and my other builds from the early part of the new year, having planned, tested, trialled, spent, etc. for the past year (longer in some respects). I have done and made a couple of things in the past which I never went any further with and have kicked myself afterwards for not doing so, so this time I want to follow through... :sick: :lol:
I do live in the real world and so I don't expect to be able to give up my day job (though obviously that would be nice lol) but a little extra pocket money would be great. If it doesn't work out at least I've tried unlike in the past, hopefully I will at the very least leave a bit of a mark on homemade type nightvision.

A heartfelt thanks,
Jamie

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 20 Nov 2016, 14:31

Your solution with the position of the jack plug is very nice. However from my owm builds with videoglasses I know that these four pin plugs are not very sturdy and recoil movement can be too much for a continous signal and power supply to your screen. Might I suggest some sort of a cradle in which the clamp rests so that no axial or lateral movement of the plug is possible. Maybe as simple as two rings?
No fence is too tall.......

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 20 Nov 2016, 15:07

Hi reindeer. At this point in time I have built my scopes primarily for pcp/co2 air rifles. The near eye on my other scope limits it's use to non-recoiling rifles due to the eye relief and this one, which was my initial design, was built for ratting/rabbits so the lens that is used was decided on accordingly - I think many people would want a higher mag for anything above air rifle shooting (it may be ok for .22 lr use/range) so a scope for them would be of a different design. However, testing my scopes on spring air rifles is something I have been doing and will continue with, they seem to be ok with the recoil from them so far. Many of the parts I have tested over the past year have been the small bits of a build - the audio jacks, step up regulators, clamps, etc. and the one used on this build is the sturdiest one I have tested. With the rigidity (yet at the same time it appears the ablility to absorb) of both the clamp and 4 pole pin/socket I am confident they will hold up (testing will always continue though). I have tested for 'accidental' knocks and such which the scopes seem to be ok with, obviously recoil on anything other than a spring air rifle is a different kettle of fish but I am confident that I can overcome the issue where required.

Cheers,

Jamie

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 20 Nov 2016, 16:06

Just thought a bit more about what you said reindeer, and maybe a better way to explain...

Is this what you meant by using 2 rings?, The torch mount can be utilised along with one of the scope mounts to support either side of the clamp, depending on where the user has mounted said rings...

As in the pic above, although only small, the grey protruding part of the socket sits inside a recess that has been drilled specifically for the socket in the bottom of the clamp. Along with the grip of the mount holding it in place and the tight fitting of the tabs inside the socket, it is pretty good at securing any movement. I purposely didn't add much weight (only a few grams) to the display so as to avoid any extra 'leverage' on these parts from the increased momentum that would come with any extra weight on the screen if it were to be subject to a knock or recoil. Though I am going to be making a change to the design of the mount where it meets the display for twisting and tilting, I think the twist/tilt ability will help further absorb any stress that would otherwise arise at the socket.

Cheers,
Jamie