Homemade nv scope 3

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
blueeyes

Re: Homemade nv scope 3

Post by blueeyes » 21 Aug 2017, 11:16

well done great build :thumbup:

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 21 Aug 2017, 16:10

Absolutely Brilliant :thumbup: :clap:
Geoff

Nightowl

Post by Nightowl » 21 Aug 2017, 21:44

Well done Hutty brilliant job you have done there keep at it . :thumbup: :thumbup:
atb brian

superslack

Post by superslack » 26 Aug 2017, 00:19

Outstanding job!

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 28 Aug 2017, 15:48

Thanks guys.

A little update for those of you interested - I used the scope for a few hours last night (gun mounted) and a couple of things were highlighted - the display brightness needs to be dimmed down a bit, after looking through the scope for just 10 seconds or so there's a real impact on what the eye can see away from the scope, everything is very dark until the eye re-adjusts to the darkness. The display is supposed to have brightness control I believe, but I cannot get it to work no matter what I try.
Another thing was fogging of the scope (I didn't check though to see if it was internal or external, just assumed it was internal). I fully expected this and so re-purging was part of the initial plan I've just not done it yet as I thought I'd at least try it on the off chance it isn't needed.
Another thing noted was the work I carried out internally as well as parts used, have left the sensor susceptible to stray light. Shiny surfaces and parts of a less than ideal shape are affecting the image quality at this point, I'm going to strip the scope down and see if I can solve this.
Finally, I haven't been able to adjust the settings of the camera to get decent day and night use without having to enter the menu for each, so far it's either good day use or good night use - I'll keep at this for a bit longer though, it may very well be the stray light I mentioned that is affecting it.
Other than that it worked, max shooting range was only around 30 yards though as I had it mounted on an old ratcatcher. If I can rectify the niggles I'll get it mounted on something a bit better and push the range out further next time.

PS - what has happened with photobucket? Does anyone know if there is another free photo sharing facility that we can use to display the photo rather than a link?
Last edited by hutty33 on 25 Jan 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 29 Aug 2017, 18:31

The first link opens the album and it's easy to see all the pics from there.

Botophucket always was a dog.

If you find how the brightness is turned down, tell us.

Here's a link to a Banggood near eye viewer like yours https://www.banggood.com/FLCOS-720540-C ... mywishlist

The blue and green wires seem to control brightness. See the item pictures

Anyone here know how it's done?

Claarse ratty, by the way...

PS when you purge the scope, if you have the space, put a freshly microwaved (just for 30 secs) little sachet of silica gel granules in the scope to absorb any water that gets in. God knows where you'd find the space though.

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 30 Aug 2017, 00:15

Well done. Impressive work!

Regarding the light spillage... could this be from the IR illuminator being on flood setting? Try a narrow beam to see if it improves the image.
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Aug 2017, 00:36

Clunge wrote:The first link opens the album and it's easy to see all the pics from there.

Botophucket always was a dog.

If you find how the brightness is turned down, tell us.

Here's a link to a Banggood near eye viewer like yours https://www.banggood.com/FLCOS-720540-C ... mywishlist

The blue and green wires seem to control brightness. See the item pictures

Anyone here know how it's done?

Claarse ratty, by the way...

PS when you purge the scope, if you have the space, put a freshly microwaved (just for 30 secs) little sachet of silica gel granules in the scope to absorb any water that gets in. God knows where you'd find the space though.
Connecting the blue wire to ground (black wire) will increase the brightness, connecting the green wire to ground will reduce the brightness.
Use momentary contact push button switches to make and break the connection between the black wire and the green and blue wires.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 30 Aug 2017, 10:32

There you go Hutty. I suspected Bruce might come up with the goods, which is why I provided the detail about the wires.

Plus, now I might try one of these viewers. Thank you Bruce.

PS. Those cheap reversing monitors that most of us have got in our junk boxes (if they're not still on our builds), have little strips of 3 momentary switches that would probably be ideal.

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 30 Aug 2017, 13:03

Myself and others have found that the colours of the wires do not relate to what they should be...orange is actually power +, white is ground -, and blue is video. I have tried all combinations of the other wires to ground but nothing is happening, may be a dodgy display, I did buy it secondhand.
I have nowhere to place a silicon sachet apart from in the scope body which isn't ideal, shouldn't need it anyway if I can purge and seal it well enough.
The light issue happens during normal daylight, and at night (whether ir is flood or spot). I'm 99% certain it's the things I mentioned previously, just got to get a chance to strip it and tinker some more.