Camera -scope

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
KeithS

Camera -scope

Postby KeithS » 09 Sep 2017, 16:03

I have made a DIY night vision by using a sony effico 36mm x 36mm camera
and used the floplast pipe to house the camera the camera has 16mm lense
and using a tube about 9 inches long, I'm not happy with it this length because
it looks cumbersome. Any ideas on how to draw the camera closer to the scope
to get a full image on the screen???

Radagast
junior librarian

Re: Camera -scope

Postby Radagast » 17 Sep 2017, 01:36

Use a mirror at 45 degrees to bend the image and set the camera at 90 degrees to the scope. This is how the Wardy Vision and .22-250 Jocks near eye display builds work.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 17 Sep 2017, 03:36

9" is about double the length needed.

wanderingkurt

Postby wanderingkurt » 19 Nov 2017, 12:51

Make a mirrored near eye. Mine adds less than 90mm with rubber eye cup or just 75mm without eye cup.
Contains battery as well so no wires.
If near eye is not your thing then just fit video out and run a screen. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

blueeyes

Postby blueeyes » 19 Nov 2017, 14:19

Can you show us the inners of this :thumbup:

paulham

Postby paulham » 19 Nov 2017, 20:59

wanderingkurt wrote:Make a mirrored near eye. Mine adds less than 90mm with rubber eye cup or just 75mm without eye cup.
Contains battery as well so no wires.
If near eye is not your thing then just fit video out and run a screen. ImageImage

Nice job!

Pics of the innards and some info on what mirror you used would be great.

wanderingkurt

Postby wanderingkurt » 20 Nov 2017, 15:01

The project box is approx 60x80x40mm.
Inside is a KPC E700 camera with 16mm lens, looking through a little piece of mirror (about 10×10mm) which is fitted to an aluminium bracket.
The bracket is bolted through the box and also keep the DSA in place.
The power comes from a flat Elwire battery pack, split so that one cel fits to one side, the other two on the other side. The cube battery packs dont fit this box as the little pcb' s on them are bigger.
The VF-2C pcb is attached to two plastic fixing points which are plastic welded to the inside of the lid. The viewfinder is fitted from the outside of the lid as there is not enough depth to the project box to do it differently.
The VF-2C pcb slides inside the void between the camera and the single battery cel, just.
Attached to the pcb is a voltage dropper and a voltage OSD pcb so that I can keep an eye on the condition of the battery.
There is a 12 volt charge socket and the on/off/dimmer switch is from customriflescopes.
It's all a very very tight fit. Had to dremel out some of the inside of box where the captive nuts are located. Also took out some raised bits which I think were there to locate pcb boards.
The viewfinder is fitted off centre by a few mm or it doesn't clear the batteries.
Works very well but could do with a strip down and clean/tidy up as there is some plastic swarf inside the viewfinder which gets on my nerves.
Looking for a better mirror to make picture clearer. This one was cut down from a cheap make up set.ImageImageImageImageImage

paulham

Postby paulham » 20 Nov 2017, 15:09

wanderingkurt wrote:The project box is approx 60x80x40mm.
Inside is a KPC E700 camera with 16mm lens, looking through a little piece of mirror (about 10×10mm) which is fitted to an aluminium bracket.
The bracket is bolted through the box and also keep the DSA in place.
The power comes from a flat Elwire battery pack, split so that one cel fits to one side, the other two on the other side. The cube battery packs dont fit this box as the little pcb' s on them are bigger.
The VF-2C pcb is attached to two plastic fixing points which are plastic welded to the inside of the lid. The viewfinder is fitted from the outside of the lid as there is not enough depth to the project box to do it differently.
The VF-2C pcb slides inside the void between the camera and the single battery cel, just.
Attached to the pcb is a voltage dropper and a voltage OSD pcb so that I can keep an eye on the condition of the battery.
There is a 12 volt charge socket and the on/off/dimmer switch is from customriflescopes.
It's all a very very tight fit. Had to dremel out some of the inside of box where the captive nuts are located. Also took out some raised bits which I think were there to locate pcb boards.
The viewfinder is fitted off centre by a few mm or it doesn't clear the batteries.
Works very well but could do with a strip down and clean/tidy up as there is some plastic swarf inside the viewfinder which gets on my nerves.
Looking for a better mirror to make picture clearer. This one was cut down from a cheap make up set.ImageImageImageImageImage

I applaud you, that is really tight!

I finally gave up on my mirrored addon, it took so much fiddling to get the camera and the mirror in line.

wanderingkurt

Postby wanderingkurt » 20 Nov 2017, 15:23

To be fair, the alignment in not 100%. The camera is stuck to the top of the box with sticky foam but the box is slightly tapered which doesn't help. Having the mirror on an aluminium bracket gives it some adjustability.
Bought some black pvc sheet to hopefully make a slightly bigger, square box over the christmas break. Hopefully this will improve alignment and give me the space to fit a dvr board.

jdk1

Postby jdk1 » 20 Nov 2017, 15:41

That is a really nice build there :thumbup: , if you do a search for posts by 22-250 jock he made one similar to this a few years ago and although I cant remember now exactly what he used for the mirror it worked really well.

Return to “DIY Nightvision”