New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Re: New display

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Feb 2018, 10:07

I've done it the simple way as I have a few 100 of the new viewfinders in stock I took a Spare and used 1 eye for standard and 1 eye for the new 16mm lens, if I were to blend the two images together with my eyes I can see that the 16mm lens is actually slightly smaller than the original that I have on my other eye, I have done this comparison with the vf-2c and can see that has a screen at roughly 1/3 bigger in my fov

If we can find similar lens that makes it like the same as the vf-2c we would be laughing !

Crs

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 14 Feb 2018, 14:01

Ok Splatty,

My opinion is that my linked 16 mm lenses is far better than original one and they even have larger picture and larger eye relief. I would not recommend them otherwise.

But now if you will have time please post picture of lenses that came (bottom and upper opening) so I can see and confirm weather you got lenses as I did.

Edit:
About VF2C. I told that 16mm cs lenses mod on new small display have larger image than with mine modded VF2C. But my modded VF2C has 8cm of eye relief and it is fitted with 50mm cs lenses.
If our forum member Kahles pops into this discussion he will know what I talking about cause he did same vf2c mod as I did.

So when I was talking about vf2C I was talkinga about my modded one and yes 16mm cs has much larger and nicer picture but poor eye relief. Kahles. Will you pop into this thread? Where are you man?

here:

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 16 Feb 2018, 02:50

I got the Peak lupe 15X and compared it to my 10X Belomo and 16mm 2/3" f1.4 Tamron C mount lens (which I previously thought was 1/2"). All three can be trusted with their spec. The image size from small to big looks inverse proportionally to their focal length: Belomo (focal length 25mm), Peak (21.8mm), and Tamron (16mm).

Also those two loupes have much bigger field of view than the Tamron lens. I measured them Belomo (19mm), Peak (17mm), and Tamron (8mm). I didn't move my eye around to see the maximum field of view, so it's smaller than spec which should be 21mm, 20mm, 11mm in that order.

Now I am a little confused about why lightmesser's 1/3" 16mm lens can see the whole picture of the display, until I re-read this whole long thread to find Mr.newbie roughly measure the display to be 5mmx4mm which suggest it's about a 1/3" size display.

I then compare the Peak lupe to my 16mm Tamron. With Tamron, I can see the 5x4mm block with my eye maybe 13mm away from the lens. To have the same view, I can pull my eye 80mm away from my Peak 15x and see the whole image.

Next I think I'll try Peak 22x which has a focal length of 12.4mm.

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 16 Feb 2018, 02:54

By the way I found something interesting: A wide-field long-eye-relief microscope eyepieces.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VUPG0E/
I don't know if I can trust what it claims.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 18 Feb 2018, 12:25

Hmmm...

After I tried approximately 50 lens systems (M12, CS lenses, aspherical lenses, fresnel lenses, loupes, magnifiers, telescope eyepieces...) only thing that worked good enough up to 15mm eye relief(same eye relief like most telescope eyepieces) is my mentioned 16mm cs lenses but they are not good enough for me so I finally give up or raise my hand from this mini display.

I give up for sure... I will not use it in my near eye build. I don't want any poked eye with my high power centerfire rifle.

There are few 1.5" to 2" lcd screens that could be fitted but of course resolution is not that great... They seem like only solution for me now and I will give them a try.

In meantime I also got this new FPV monocular(yes I am new into FPV drone stuff now :) ) https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 41848.html and while googles are nothing special their screen is just incredible guys. Wide screen high resolution mini lcd.

I have wish to harvest that from that googles but then I am aware that I am not electrical engineer so there are great chances I destroy that.

I want to say that China has technology for building super mini displays that would suit for our needs like display I mentioned in that FPV monocular. But they don't have any idea for what they could use that technology except fpv.
They simply need investor who will tell them the specs we need(eye relief, resolution, size etc.). That guy could easily earn milions of $ with right mini display design.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 18 Feb 2018, 12:44

lightmesser wrote:Hmmm...

After I tried approximately 50 lens systems (M12, CS lenses, aspherical lenses, fresnel lenses, loupes, magnifiers, telescope eyepieces...) only thing that worked good enough up to 15mm eye relief(same eye relief like most telescope eyepieces) is my mentioned 16mm cs lenses but they are not good enough for me so I finally give up or raise my hand from this mini display.

I give up for sure... I will not use it in my near eye build. I don't want any poked eye with my high power centerfire rifle.

There are few 1.5" to 2" lcd screens that could be fitted but of course resolution is not that great... They seem like only solution for me now and I will give them a try.

In meantime I also got this new FPV monocular(yes I am new into FPV drone stuff now :) ) https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 41848.html and while googles are nothing special their screen is just incredible guys. Wide screen high resolution mini lcd.

I have wish to harvest that from that googles but then I am aware that I am not electrical engineer so there are great chances I destroy that.

I want to say that China has technology for building super mini displays that would suit for our needs like display I mentioned in that FPV monocular. But they don't have any idea for what they could use that technology except fpv.
They simply need investor who will tell them the specs we need(eye relief, resolution, size etc.). That guy could easily earn milions of $ with right mini display design.
Sorry to butt in, but they do..... its called the VF-2C ( only 1 problem though ), the screen makers called Kopin announced that they will be stopping the production of that screen that goes into the VF-2C, before anyone says bull, i spoke to the manufacturer, they have a big stockpile to shift, until its gone the vf-2c will not be replaced with a higher res screen. it economics 101 , just like samsung give you little bites of the carrot every year when they already have a genetically enhanced carrot waiting behind closed doors !

is a shame but thats what we have to work round !

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 18 Feb 2018, 20:42

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:[
Sorry to butt in, but they do..... its called the VF-2C ( only 1 problem though ), the screen makers called Kopin announced that they will be stopping the production of that screen that goes into the VF-2C, before anyone says bull, i spoke to the manufacturer, they have a big stockpile to shift, until its gone the vf-2c will not be replaced with a higher res screen. it economics 101 , just like samsung give you little bites of the carrot every year when they already have a genetically enhanced carrot waiting behind closed doors !

CRS
You know that I have your VF 2C but that display in stock version is also not good for my personal preferences. It also does not have long eye relief. It has around 2cm(less than 1 inch) in stock version. Right?

I need at least 4+cm of eye relief. But even if I would decide to fit Vf2c to near eye unit(mirror build) that would be hell of job since it has fairly large motherboard.

VF 2C in form of new mini display but with Original VF2C optics would be better choice than this super small 5x4mm new display :)

Sorry Splatty but(another but in lol :) ) I will give more than 1 problem for your VF-2C display:

- It is fairly large. Larger in length than my whole near eye build.
- You got to be electrical engineer to fit it into small tech stuff like near eye build(mirror build, but I would also say other type of builds cause we should strive to smaller and more compact builds and not larger ones)
- It will not work without modding and modding skills means you got to have soldering skills. Frankly speaking if someone likes new mini display he does not got to have any soldering skills.

Your VF 2C is better than new mini display only because of better eye relief and larger stock picture but it is not without flaws as I mentioned above.
It has more flaws than mini display. Mini display has only one but huge flaw and that is optics :)

VF 2C would be the best if they could downsize it to new mini display size or bit larger if they have to. They may leave original VF 2C optics since it will be ok for 90% of guys here.

Splatty,

I really don't get that China factory would not made custom smaller tech VF2C displays for you? I am pretty sure they would but for their demanded MOQ. And then you are in big advantage cause they would offer OEM service for you so you would get your own brand of product.

For example Uniquefire with MOQ of 400 lights will do ODM for you. I think it is in best interest of Kopin to make ODM for you but of course at their MOQ conditions.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 18 Feb 2018, 21:18

lightmesser wrote:
CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:[

CRS
You know that I have your VF 2C but that display in stock version is also not good for my personal preferences. It also does not have long eye relief. It has around 2cm(less than 1 inch) in stock version. Right?

I need at least 4+cm of eye relief. But even if I would decide to fit Vf2c to near eye unit(mirror build) that would be hell of job since it has fairly large motherboard.

VF 2C in form of new mini display but with Original VF2C optics would be better choice than this super small 5x4mm new display :)

Sorry Splatty but(another but in lol :) ) I will give more than 1 problem for your VF-2C display:

- It is fairly large. Larger in length than my whole near eye build.
- You got to be electrical engineer to fit it into small tech stuff like near eye build(mirror build, but I would also say other type of builds cause we should strive to smaller and more compact builds and not larger ones)
- It will not work without modding and modding skills means you got to have soldering skills. Frankly speaking if someone likes new mini display he does not got to have any soldering skills.

Your VF 2C is better than new mini display only because of better eye relief and larger stock picture but it is not without flaws as I mentioned above.
It has more flaws than mini display. Mini display has only one but huge flaw and that is optics :)

VF 2C would be the best if they could downsize it to new mini display size or bit larger if they have to. They may leave original VF 2C optics since it will be ok for 90% of guys here.

Splatty,

I really don't get that China factory would not made custom smaller tech VF2C displays for you? I am pretty sure they would but for their demanded MOQ. And then you are in big advantage cause they would offer OEM service for you so you would get your own brand of product.

For example Uniquefire with MOQ of 400 lights will do ODM for you. I think it is in best interest of Kopin to make ODM for you but of course at their MOQ conditions.
Don't get me wrong, im with ya buddy, i would love for the vf-2c to be superseded with a better unit that is smaller and better eye relief, that is why i stocked up with the ones we are talking about. I have chatted to china a number of times on the subject of size and what we want, its falling on def ears until they empty the stock piles they have, i was not talking about the factory kopin ( Kopin is stopping making those screens ), i was talking about the ones who make the vf-2c unit who will not move on design until the stock has gone, i have tried talking to sales and they are the hardest company to deal with ever, i have a Chinese speaker and even that didn't get a response !

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 18 Feb 2018, 21:47

Strange factory behavior indeed :(

I was taking lot of lights from different manufacturers but I never placed mine ODM orders cause that would be to big snack to me(all life savings). Some manufacturer are not really a manufacturers but investors. Yes... Investors that make they own design and everything they just contact for example Uniquefire company to make for them.

So I would want to say here that investor companies maybe do need to empty their stock but for developing companies it is in their best interest to make new stuff all the time because it is the only way to make some serious $ with OEM or ODM orders.

I have this type of display on order for mine near eye:

Fat but very thin dimensions 5.8x5.5cm 1.2cm thick and 2" screen 940x240 res. Not the best but I doubt I will miss Sus Scrofa piggy with that res :)

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 18 Feb 2018, 22:16

Not sure if you know but China hit an all time low recently and development costs money, I went to the chinese canton fair at the wrong time, they didn’t have much out that was new, development costs money and even when you offer odm / oem deals they don’t see the benefits unless you are a big cheese ordering thousands, then sometimes if your unlucky a worker at the company splits with your idea and signs up with another company to sell your idea, it happens a lot, so bad in China that big companies like Sony take extra measures to keep ideas safe !