New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Boarhunter

Re: New display

Post by Boarhunter » 14 Mar 2018, 08:35

Hello guys, on this page you can download a software for calculating lenses. Maybe it will help. https://www.qioptiq-shop.com/Optik-Software/

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 14 Mar 2018, 19:55

So about Peak Loupe 15x :

Yes it really is high quality stuff when I compare it to mine china 20x stated mag glasses and I find that mine China 20x mag is not even 10x :D

So here we go... That Peak loupe acrylic skirt distancer works perfect with letters and and other tiny objects but not with screen!

When you put acrylic skirt as distancer from screen you just get blurry and unusable video projection( i did test with reflector flashlight UCL lens).

Yes I can overcome blurry issue and get very sharp image with putting our new tiny screen closer to Peak lenses like this:

But then you have tiny picture even more tiny than 25mm lenses mod. Eye relief in that basic plug and play mode? Not more than 4CM without image distortion. But picture is super small size :sick:

OK... Then I used some precoolimator lenses techniques which magnified new mini display and it looks something like this:

Ok now picture size is tad larger than on 25mm cs lens mod but eye relief is not more than 1 inch... So still terrible eye relief and very small image projection. Usable but still unacceptable image size and I really doubt someone will do precoolimator lens mod before putting that kind of loupe on. That guy would probably be crazier than I :lol:

So if you want to have that Peak 15x loupe it is really cool stuff(jewelry, money check, watching details on old photos etc.) it is perfect and clear with superb eye relief and without any distortion like in China cheap lenses.

But it is not good for new mini display and it is very expensive.

My experiments costed some money and I did it only because I wanted to build my first mirror build but with decent image size and respective eye relief off at least 2 inch. I will continue my project but not with this display.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 28 Mar 2018, 14:36

Hi guys,

This display problem is not going to be solved and I gave up a few weeks ago, however
I’m not beaten and have an agent in China who has been looking for a true 800x600
5v system that won’t cost the earth and has at least 1.5” eye relief , if I can get them for under £200 would anyone be interested ?

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 28 Mar 2018, 22:20

I’m interested Splatty.

Kevgun

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 29 Mar 2018, 20:32

Kevgun wrote:I’m interested Splatty.

Kevgun

Great, if i can get a few others interested then it may be worth getting some, the last person who purchased a good 800x600 near eye screen with good eye relief was Bruce i think, and he paid over £300, but please don't quote me on it, im sure he will jog our memory if i'm wrong ?

So if i can get the price under £200 it will be a step in the right direction.

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 29 Mar 2018, 21:38

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:Hi guys,

This display problem is not going to be solved and I gave up a few weeks ago, however
I’m not beaten and have an agent in China who has been looking for a true 800x600
5v system that won’t cost the earth and has at least 1.5” eye relief , if I can get them for under £200 would anyone be interested ?
I see you have some good China connections...

I think you could get us Ferroelectric Micro LCD 1280x720, 16:9 format, Size of that unit diagonal is 0.38" (8.45x4.75 mm) which is really huge comparing to our poor little guy we have been testing :)

Second option (probably better and more expensive would be 1280x960,4:3 format, 0.4" diagonal (8.13x6.09mm).

2 mentioned displays goes to some not so expensive googles that cost only 200$. So one piece should not be more than half of that retail price because high tech FPV googles have their own additional inner parts like diversity receivers, antennas, motherboard, optics, DVR and other stuff.

Plain and simple version like our new mini display but with better optics(it should not be problem since screen size is a lot bigger). Price around 100gbp would be acceptable...

We would need such displays in smallest size possible with as huge eye relief as possible. I hope that one day some guy will be able to invest 100 000 GBP for first 1000 + pcs.

Edit: If someone has manager ability to contact some huge China FPV equipment manufacturers like Eachine I bet they could make and design one for them. Or even better to give lets say Eachine that idea so they can earn some $ and do OEM for store owners. That would be even easier to manufacture than huge FPV googles with comprehensive inner parts.

So just motherboard(round and small), mentioned 1280x720 display, and good optics with respective eye relief of at least 5CM.

P.S.
I forgot to say that I tried several more precoolimator lenses and I found one by pure luck(dissasembled some old magnifier glasses) which gives slightly larger screen size and better eye relief (4CM) in combination with mentioned Peak loupe which is now slightly modified( I lathe that acrylic skirt distancer).
It is giving image size slightly smaller than 16mm cs lens mod(guys who did that mod will know what I am talking about) but with respectable eye relief so I find it more usable than my own 16mm cs lens mod.

I am almost finished ( I have battery and housing issues since I don't know 3d modeling stuff so I got to think some redneck ways to effectively fit the parts).

I just wish that I could see Bruce picture of his near eye build. He gave me idea for mine build and I think it could help me in my project since as I figured him out he also did his first near eye by merging 2 x 90 degree Erecting Prism.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 30 Mar 2018, 08:53

I have been looking for a long time for great specs under £200, I have asked various companies about goggles with just 1 viewfinder, what I get back is the same price minus 1 viewfinder ......not half ( like you think ) as you still need the board and they laugh when you ask for less parts as it’s not worth them doing it. Everyone thinks that putting less parts in a manufacturing process makes it cheaper, that’s not always the case, the process has to be changed and the logic control on the plc has to also be changed if it’s automated. Some processes cannot be done without certain items added unless you change the whole build. This is Modified manufacturing territory, it’s not cheap and to make it worth while you have to buy 100’s .......so like you say it can be done but easy to talk about but who here is going to take that chance, unless I have at least 50 people putting deposits down then I cannot take the chance, you would be lucky to get them at £190 from me as I would not possibly be able to do for less and take all the risks, import tax, logistics, income tax and so on, don’t get me wrong, I’m not being negative, just realistic ......so let’s just see what my agent can come up with, they will also want a cut !

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 30 Mar 2018, 12:19

Is it possible that you actually manufacture them in UK?

I mean could you import mentioned Ferroelectric Micro LCD 1280x720 directly from manufacturer( http://cfd.citizen.co.jp/english/prod-t ... splay.html ) and then use your own board and optics in your designed 3D housing?

Maybe it could fit on our new mini display motherboard just by swapping displays? Or you could order special boards from Sasha (manufacturer of that super compact reticle generator).

I know... That is investment and a lot of play... But maybe one day someone decide to go that route. That guy could earn serious $.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 30 Mar 2018, 14:31

lightmesser wrote:Is it possible that you actually manufacture them in UK?

I mean could you import mentioned Ferroelectric Micro LCD 1280x720 directly from manufacturer( http://cfd.citizen.co.jp/english/prod-t ... splay.html ) and then use your own board and optics in your designed 3D housing?

Maybe it could fit on our new mini display motherboard just by swapping displays? Or you could order special boards from Sasha (manufacturer of that super compact reticle generator).

I know... That is investment and a lot of play... But maybe one day someone decide to go that route. That guy could earn serious $.
Not sure i know Sasha ? and the super small reticle gen ?

and "that guy" earning $erious $ is not going to happen, im proof of that, I have vf-2c's and sold them in the 100's earning as little as £10 for each £100 they cost while they still move slowly off the shelf, i already have a load of FLCOS Displays collecting dust from the last person who said the same as you :lolno: I have two of the same type flcos in the fist photo of the link you showed me and none of them are good enough for our application, they are ok, but not a deal maker, for this to be viable, you have to have the perfect setup for rifle scope use or people will not settle for anything less, including size and eye relief being a big factor, i am yet to be shown that a vf-2c can be beaten in cost vs quality, eye relief and screen size......but i do hope i'm proved wrong soon :thumbup:

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 31 Mar 2018, 09:07

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote: Not sure i know Sasha ? and the super small reticle gen ?

and "that guy" earning $erious $ is not going to happen, im proof of that, I have vf-2c's and sold them in the 100's earning as little as £10 for each £100 they cost while they still move slowly off the shelf, i already have a load of FLCOS Displays collecting dust from the last person who said the same as you :lolno: I have two of the same type flcos in the fist photo of the link you showed me and none of them are good enough for our application, they are ok, but not a deal maker, for this to be viable, you have to have the perfect setup for rifle scope use or people will not settle for anything less, including size and eye relief being a big factor, i am yet to be shown that a vf-2c can be beaten in cost vs quality, eye relief and screen size......but i do hope i'm proved wrong soon :thumbup:

CRS
Sure you know him. You posted in some thread regarding that(me also). It is this guy:
Small 5V version reticle generator https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSD-crosshair- ... 0011.m1850

Bit larger 7-23V version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSD-crosshair- ... SwMfhaU8n4

About that FLCOS displays you tried? One question for you. Do they fit to new mini display motherboard?