New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
tomtom215

Re: New display

Post by tomtom215 » 26 Dec 2017, 11:31

do you see my pictures ok?
I just see the links :(

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 26 Dec 2017, 11:43

I cant see them and link doesnt work :thumbdown:

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 26 Dec 2017, 12:24

Depending on your soldering capabilities TomTom, the display may be salvageable. If the ribbon cable is the only thing damaged, you could replace the broken strips with little wires. It looks like there are 2 traces that may still be unbroken - you might get away without having to repair them, just make sure they are insulated from each other, if they are broken a little solder may rejoin them. The little bit of ribbon cable that has broken off completely has 4 traces - I believe these are a ground, and 3 supplies to the led unit that provides the colour for the image and lights up the display so it can be seen (1x red, 1x green, 1x blue). If you cannot get all 3 colours working properly you may be able to use just one (however the image may have a flicker to it, I can't say for certain). If you can only use one led the image will only work in the one colour, but I'm sure you'll have seen many people use filters to get a red or green display anyway.

tomtom215

Post by tomtom215 » 26 Dec 2017, 14:43

second try to post the pictures:

You think its really possible to solder stuff that is this small?

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 26 Dec 2017, 16:45

I have done a small amount this small in the past so it is certainly possible. I used a needle for the solder tip, and as I didn't have a magnifying lens I used one of the spare bullet cameras I had and connected it to my tv to enlarge the part I needed to work on. I didn't have solder thin enough so I applied small amounts to the needle and used that on the terminals. I won't lie, it was an absolute bugger.
If I were you I wouldn't try to solder the ribbon cable itself, but solder thin wires to the led instead, with the other ends of the wires soldered to the 'clip' that the ribbon cable has come out of (for the 4 traces that have broken completely). If any other traces have broken you could attempt to solder the ribbon, but it'd probably be easier to fix them with thin wires too. From one of your pics it looks like there may be some bare traces showing where the ribbon has torn, however you repair it, just make sure any areas like that are insulated to protect from shorting and check anything you solder doesn't spill onto the contact next to it.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 26 Dec 2017, 20:13

tomtom215 wrote:You think its really possible to solder stuff that is this small?
Hutty33 was to gentle to you but I will certainly not be... No freaking chance you'll ever solder that ribbon cable! :twisted:

However you can contact manufacturer to send you replacement one. It should not cost you more than 15$ :angel:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 26 Dec 2017, 20:15

+1
That's not repairable.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 26 Dec 2017, 20:41

The only way i see round that problem is to check on the net to see if any company does ribbon cables the same, try the serial number on the cable :thumbup:

CRS

MrNewbie

Post by MrNewbie » 26 Dec 2017, 21:19

Hell, its easy I could fix that!

Ok, you got me BS. But I sure as heck would try!

If you take a closer look at your 2nd picture down, where the yellow arrow points.
There are 4 torn- broken wires, maybe on the right another (test it)
They are not part of the ribbon cable that flows to the far end of the cable, they go no where, they flip down to the screen
They go to the little screen, they are nothing but jumpers..4 jumpers from the screen to the little pcb board

Look at your 3rd pic down, your yellow arrow points. Look closer, those little round golden color circles.
They are TEST pads, or a damn good place to solder a wire to. You can bet the socket connector right behind the test pad is on the same wire!!!

4 places easy to wire to... 1/2 fixed

Take the pcb off, and lets see where it goes. Your going to have to do it anyhow even if you get a brand new cable!
Pics please

superslack

Post by superslack » 27 Dec 2017, 00:42

You will have to reverse engineer what the ribbon cable actually is and the try to find a replacement at somewhere like digikey or mouser.