New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
summer-blue

Re: New display

Post by summer-blue » 27 Feb 2018, 22:29

1/3" is 4.8x3.6mm diagonal 6mm. 1/2" is 6.4x4.8mm diagonal 8mm. Now there is two version of the mini display size according to Mr. newbie or Bruce.
I don't really think I'll need a mini display, I prefer googles. If you think Zeiss Oled is too expensive, Vuzix is a good option. I bought used Vuzix 920 and 310 on ebay both around $50. you don't need to press a lot of buttons to turn it on. One of the version even has power button on the glasses.

In my opinion, for rifle scope application, they should use bigger display size. It's much easier to combine into a lens system to have longer eye relief. The problem is that this mini display is not designed for our application.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 28 Feb 2018, 00:17

The display I have is definitely 8mm diagonal.
I played around with it today and managed to get a larger sharp image with over 2 inches of eye relief
I disassembled the complete unit and removed both plastic lenses and all the plastic bits in front of the actual display so that I could try different lenses right up close to the display.
The first thing I found is that any lens designed to be used with a 1/3" sensor will not give an image of the complete display. This makes sense since these lenses are designed to focus light into a circle with a diameter of 6mm (1/3 inch sensor)
I tried several different lenses designed for use with 8mm (1/2" sensors) and they all worked to some degree. I was able to get a sharp enlarged image using 12, 16 and 25mm lenses. Above 25mm the image was not enlarged although it remained sharp.
The best lens was a 25mm 1/2" f1.2 manual focus with no iris. I'm pretty sure this lens came from Stock Optics who, unfortunately, are no longer trading.
There's nothing on the lens showing a manufacturer, make or model.
I'll post the dimensions of the lens including the size of the entry and exit lenses tomorrow.
I really need to sort out some way of posting pictures!!!!!!!

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 28 Feb 2018, 02:25

In that case, Peak 15x is more suitable. It has a focal length of 21.8mm and I can pull my eye away from the ocular 60mm and still see the whole picture of 1/2" format. The short coming of the 15x compare to the 22x is that the plastic part (acrylic base) also hold the lens assembly in place. The good thing is it's much cheaper than the 22x.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tml?sts=pi

BTW, it's 18 grams with acrylic base and 14g without and also has 24x0.75 female thread.

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 28 Feb 2018, 03:06

try to see if I can post picture. If success, it's 1/2" format view through Peak 22x

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 28 Feb 2018, 16:37

A Chinese version with the new display in use.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Monokulares-ver ... VqvVx6YCpQ
No fence is too tall.......

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 28 Feb 2018, 19:59

well your getting there guys and when you find a solution i will try and build a 3d housing round the correct lens, i have tried many with mixed results but none good enough to warrant taking the unit apart and making a 3d printed adapter to integrate the two, time consuming and price bump of a viewfinder with the extra bits. You may want to think outside the box a little and spring load the viewfinder and have an eye protector rim for the recoil.......don't laugh as it can be a valid option if we cannot get the eye relief to a safe distance !

CRS

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 28 Feb 2018, 20:21

Shane,
I agree totally - by the time you buy in the display, strip it down and rebuild it without the front end and the existing lenses, 3d print some sort of adapter to go between the display and the lens and then buy and fit the lens, the price you'd have to sell it for would be a lot more than a VF2C
Definitely not a commercial proposition
As a DIY project it's also quite limited because unless the DIYer is reasonably skilled at working with small electronic kit, then there's a real possibility of destroying the display when disassembling it to remove the front end.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 01 Mar 2018, 12:05

' You may want to think outside the box a little and spring load the viewfinder and have an eye protector rim for the recoil'
That may be an option for light recoiling calibers like.222 and .223, but shooting a high power rifle like .30-06 or 8x57 , knowing that you are going to be hit by a spring loaded eye protector is not my cup of tea. It will defenitely cause you to develop a flinch, which is even worse than being hit in the eye.
So I will stick to 8-) 8-)

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 01 Mar 2018, 15:08

reindeer wrote:
' You may want to think outside the box a little and spring load the viewfinder and have an eye protector rim for the recoil'
That may be an option for light recoiling calibers like.222 and .223, but shooting a high power rifle like .30-06 or 8x57 , knowing that you are going to be hit by a spring loaded eye protector is not my cup of tea. It will defenitely cause you to develop a flinch, which is even worse than being hit in the eye.
So I will stick to 8-) 8-)
Are you serious about putting a viewfinder of this type on a 8x57 , in the past I used to modify the Vf2c to protect against.308 as the components would not take it otherwise?

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 01 Mar 2018, 16:02

[quote][/Are you serious about putting a viewfinder of this type on a 8x57 , in the past I used to modify the Vf2c to protect against.308 as the components would not take it otherwise?quote]

No, of course I am not! That is where Cinemizer takes over! 8-) :lol: