New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Re: New display

Post by lightmesser » 05 Feb 2018, 22:39

Did you read my post? Ok I am not speak English that well. But my 16mm cs lenses works! Works perfectly even with small A opening but I am not getting so good eye relief just 1-2cm. Similar(bit smaller) to original Vf2C which also had unusable eye relief to me.

It is very hard to find lenses with such large B opening like in mine post. I gave the link and they work plus they can be significantly reduced on lathe and I don't think any optics expert will be able to crack out something like that cause even if it manages that will certainly not cost only 2$ :D

Guys who knows 3d modeling etc could make adapter ring (although it can be fitted without it) that could easy screw on mini display exposed threaded end like on Paul first picture and just screw CS lens on the other part of adapter and you have nice,firm and even professional looking solution.

So once again my lenses works but for perfect eye relief(4+cm) we would need lenses that have both (large B and large A opening but type of CS must be same like in mine post above).

Neither 12, 25, 50, 35mm lenses in c, cs or M12 style won't work guys (they will but will give unusable tiny picture). Single aspheric will also not work.

My above mentioned solution is far better solution than original one. You just have to invest 2$ in lenses and go to friend with lathe that will reduce the size of it to main A lenses. Use some kind of tape and you are ready to go :)

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 05 Feb 2018, 23:08

lightmesser wrote:Did you read my post? Ok I am not speak English that well. But my 16mm cs lenses works! Works perfectly even with small A opening but I am not getting so good eye relief just 1-2cm. Similar(bit smaller) to original Vf2C which also had unusable eye relief to me.

It is very hard to find lenses with such large B opening like in mine post. I gave the link and they work plus they can be significantly reduced on lathe and I don't think any optics expert will be able to crack out something like that cause even if it manages that will certainly not cost only 2$ :D

Guys who knows 3d modeling etc could make adapter ring (although it can be fitted without it) that could easy screw on mini display exposed threaded end like on Paul first picture and just screw CS lens on the other part of adapter and you have nice,firm and even professional looking solution.

So once again my lenses works but for perfect eye relief(4+cm) we would need lenses that have both (large B and large A opening but type of CS must be same like in mine post above).

Neither 12, 25, 50, 35mm lenses in c, cs or M12 style won't work guys (they will but will give unusable tiny picture). Single aspheric will also not work.

My above mentioned solution is far better solution than original one. You just have to invest 2$ in lenses and go to friend with lathe that will reduce the size of it to main A lenses. Use some kind of tape and you are ready to go :)
Your explanation is fine and well done on finding the tiny screen cure ........you say use a lathe, i have one handy but many people do not, can you not cut the end off with a hack saw ?

CRS

superslack

Post by superslack » 05 Feb 2018, 23:32

lightmesser, what is the diameter of the glass on the B side of the "good" lens?

I just received 25mm lens from here https://m.aliexpress.com/item/323033758 ... 8615f1a67s

B side is 10.45 mm diameter.

I just tried with my monocular and the image is good with good eye relief. I think I just got inspired to get rid of lcd screen on my scopeless.

I also just ordered the lens you recommend. I will report back with comparison in 3-4 weeks when the slowboat gets here.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Feb 2018, 10:27

B side on my used lenses in 9mm and A is 9.5 mm. My lenses would be perfect if A side would be around 12-20mm but of course you can use them like this with 1-2cm of eye relief.

Forget about 25mm lenses guys. I tried whole lot of them... You will get tiny pic with that and it is way to heavy and whole setup will look to bulky. Totally unusable for near eye build.

Yes Splatty. I guess you can cut with hacksaw around 9mm of "extra meat" from lenses :) But one must be very careful doing that. I would go with 7mm and than grind rest with something.

So I really can't understand how some guys don't understand easy and simplicity of mine concept?

Look:

Hacksaw or even better lathe that caliper part down.
Total length of new mini display system would be 35.5mm and all that will look very professional if someone manages to make us 3D modeling adapter ring which will fit cs lenses to that tiny threads of new display or you can go unprofessional way like myself and use tapes :)

Lenses are less than 2$ btw. But once again if someone can please find CS lenses in mentioned type or style but with even larger A opening and we will have even better lenses.

You see final product on this pic below so it ain't that large but it would be xxl size with 25mm cs or c lenses or even with some types of 16mm CS lenses so because of that we need type of cs I mentioned above:

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 06 Feb 2018, 11:03

Yep, i have a 3d printer, i have ordered a 16mm lens and as soon as it comes like theothers from the slow boat i will get on making an adapter for it !

kind regards CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Feb 2018, 11:42

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:Yep, i have a 3d printer, i have ordered a 16mm lens and as soon as it comes like theothers from the slow boat i will get on making an adapter for it !

kind regards CRS
I counted with that :thumbup: While you are waiting here is another shot from different angle of my near eye:

paulham

Post by paulham » 06 Feb 2018, 13:17

Thanks, i have ordered 2 of the lenses you suggested, I look forward to getting it on the lathe and testing it out. Cheers

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Feb 2018, 13:58

Nprbl Paul ;)

They are usable but as you see those front side lens or A lens of mine version have small 9.5mm opening. Larger A opening in combination with large B(bottom) opening would bring greater eye relief.
This way eye relief is only about half inch which is certainly not enough for high power centerfires but it should be enough up to .223 cal.
So I really hope someone will manage to find something with better eye relief. I hoped that mine "discovery" could bring brainstorm to you guys and I am sure you'll all be able to crack that more neatly than myself and then hopefully some new parts will be born etc... That was my intention.

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 06 Feb 2018, 19:58

First I have to say, nothing beat lightmesser's lens at $2.

But here we go, just some thoughts.
Let's analyze these 16mm 1/3" cs lens. I checked that master Bruce measured the size of the display is about 8mm diagonaly which put it to 1/2" format. So the first thing to improve is to select a 1/2" lens. lightmesser is right, we need bigger "A" size (entrance pupil size). but with fixed 16mm focal length that means lower aperture number. that cost money.
So to keep it relatively cheap, we can search another type of lens, called loupe or triplet. As a rule of thumb, when a loupe say it's 10x, that means roughly it's a 25mm lens. The rough equation is: magnify power = 250/focal length. So to the comparable 16mm lens, we need about 15x loupe. The good news is usually loupe has a big diameter lens. So eye relieve can be improved. But keep in mind, "magnification" to your eye is a very complicated term.
At $4, the following cheap loupe worth a try.
https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-Magni ... +magnifier

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 06 Feb 2018, 20:40

Sorry to burst your bubble and you are quite correct with the 1/2" instead of the 1/3" to open the A size, as that is the format sensor end, but the loupe wont work as ive already tried the 10x / 15x as i had them from when i was experimenting on the vf-2c to try making that a little bigger !

to be honest it wasn't even close !!! :o

CRS