New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Re: New display

Post by lightmesser » 06 Feb 2018, 20:41

I would be happy if loupe would work since it would be very light in that setup but I have to tell you that I tried those 15x magnifier glasses I use for soldering and they did not worked. Googles like this: https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Glass ... B071DMZ9N4

But it is worth of further inspection. Will you try few loupes for us?

Splatty posted second before me :)

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 06 Feb 2018, 21:05

Don't always trust something when it says 10x or 15x....if its from china it can be a little stretchy on the truth .

My 10x loupe turned out to be lower, my 15 = 10 and my 25 was 15x ....... :lolno:

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Feb 2018, 21:13

Here is picture of eye relief guys. I got to mention that I have very long eyelashes lol :D .
This ain't good enough for me unfortunately(well it is for rimfire or something like that).

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 06 Feb 2018, 21:56

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:Don't always trust something when it says 10x or 15x....if its from china it can be a little stretchy on the truth .

My 10x loupe turned out to be lower, my 15 = 10 and my 25 was 15x ....... :lolno:
Sounds like going cheap is not the way. I have a Belomo triplet 10x which looks good on 6.4x4.8mm area. I understand you want more magnification. Maybe you can try Belomo 15x version?

superslack

Post by superslack » 08 Feb 2018, 16:06

I looked at the belomo loupe and they are nice. However, I think they will have very little eye relief to obtain the listed magnification. I think they will work like lightmesser's lens: good magnification with short eye relief.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 08 Feb 2018, 18:21

You got to be aware for lets say that blomo loupe that it will need to be properly placed at certain distance from screen in order to work, and then you will find yourself in other problem and that problem is how to fixate that.

When guys receive those lenses they will see that simple round threaded adapter is all that is needed for fixating modded cs lens to new display.

But unfortunately eye relief is terrible(but usable) same relief like lets say telescope eyepiece(around 15mm. or you can stretch bit more but with screen angles cut :) )

summer-blue

Post by summer-blue » 08 Feb 2018, 20:38

superslack wrote:I looked at the belomo loupe and they are nice. However, I think they will have very little eye relief to obtain the listed magnification. I think they will work like lightmesser's lens: good magnification with short eye relief.
To improve eye relief for this small display, my idea is to have a lens which have bigger field of view than 8mm (like 20mm). So you can pull away your eye without lost edge. Also to avoid fisheye lens effect, you have to have a good lens system. The Belomo 10x call itself triplet because the lens construct with 3 elements of glass lens to minimize aberration and distortion.
There is another loupe might be promising: Peak Lupe TS1962 which claim 15x but focal length is 21.8mm and lens opening is 19mm which is about the same as Belomo 10x (25mm focal length). Also it has 20mm field of view. It's not very expensive. you can get it under $30. I may get one and see if it works.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 13 Feb 2018, 17:28

Sorry to be a party pooper guys but i did try the 16mm lens that lightmesser talked about and I couldn't get any more of a bigger screen than the original, i tried every possible position to optimise the size but it grew no bigger than the other screen i had side by side......am i doing something
wrong Lightmesser as i ordered 2 of the exact lens you spoke of ?

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ ... 7-no[/img]

superslack

Post by superslack » 13 Feb 2018, 20:16

Can't see your pic CRS.

Your slow boat is faster than mine.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 14 Feb 2018, 08:26

Throw us a pic Splatty. And btw what is your screen comparison method and with what lenses are you comparing to?

I look with both eyes when I do comparison with my 105 cm LCD tv at certain distance. So I see lcd tv with my left eye and screen with my right one. And picture should be great as you should have bigger screen than 105cm lcd tv when you are watching and comparing at 3.5 meters or you did something wrong.

I have extended eye relief VF2C with 50mm cs lenses(kahles mod here http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... 60#p113211 ) and this small 16mm lenses are surpassing size of VF 2c at same distance for more than 40% so it should not be small.

First: Screw that cs focusing lenses system clockwise to the very bottom end(to the point it is tightened well so it can't be screwed cw any more) then try to precisely place new display end to cs bottom end (both their threads should touch themselves), and of course if you have stock unmodded lenses version you will have to cut that part from mine picture for about 9mm that way you will get closer to display with your eyes. Stock unmodded lenses should also work but you got to put it almost directly on eye so cut or lathe work is must with them.

So try all mentioned and then report.