New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Texan

Re: New display

Post by Texan » 14 Jan 2018, 02:09

Here is one completely taken apart.

Here is a side view on the micro display.

Looks to be a fairly short focal length aspherical lens.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 26 Jan 2018, 10:36

Anyone found solution for screen enlargement and longer eye relief?

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 05 Feb 2018, 14:03

Ok guys...

I will admit... This display is throwing me into diy depression... I just thought I will finish my first near eye but things are not going as planned.

I am very close to solution! and at this point I will share with you guys in hope someone will find more suitable and better lenses than I did. Although mine diy lenses solution works!

Solution are 16mm CS lenses!. They can significantly enlarge main mini display. But not just any lenses they must be in certain CS lenses style and they got to have have large A (objective) and B (bottom) opening... I don't know how to say that :) So with several types of16 mm lenses this were the most usable and the best for picture quality as they have very large B opening but they also have big disadvantage of small A opening:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Packs ... 0.0.13uyO1

Bigger A opening with combination of big B opening(my linked lenses only have great B opening and stupid small A opening) would give extended eye relief, but only in this CS lens style. But where to find such lenses? I tried 8 different CS style lenses and those linked ones worked the best. And you see it can be significantly shortened on lathe since opening A is deep inside that lenses.

Find That kind of lenses with A side very deep into CS lenses but with much larger A opening than lenses in mine link or pictures. If you will be able to find it you will resolve this issue.

Does mine linked 16mm cs lens works?
Yes they work but they don't work as I would want cause they give very low eye relief(1cm). They are giving nice picture like 100cm old school 4:3 TV from the distance of 2 meters from screen. So yes picture is larger than with original lenses.

So guys please risk 2$ and order those linked cs lenses and then you'll see what I am talking about, and then hopefully you'll be ready to find better solution.

Key is large A and and large B opening but in style I linked.

superslack

Post by superslack » 05 Feb 2018, 15:27

Thanks for reporting the progress.

I wonder if this lens https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32797392823.html
could be combined in a Frankenstein manner to get the lens combo you're looking for.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 05 Feb 2018, 16:34

No I am afraid. I have similar or same one that did not work well. As you can see they are completely different lenses styles or types than one I linked.
Your has taller A position which will give smaller image plus you can't shorten whole rig on lathe so you'll be stuck with around + 5-6cm on bare mini display and when you are doing near eye you want that as discrete and smaller as possible.

This is my near eye project with semi finished new mini display

Direct comparison of 2 displays: 107cm tv from 2.5 meters 16:9 diagonal, and new mini display at same distance:

So as you can see 16mm cs modded lenses addon on new mini display is like looking old 100 cm 4:3 TV from 2,5m distance. It would be perfect but A side of my working lenses is to small and thus you got to take your eyes very close to see something. So if we find same lenses type or style as from mine post but with larger A opening it will be a winner.

Edit:

3,5 meters test. New mini display has larger height and it is wider than 107cm LCD tv when you look from 3,5m distance. :thumbup: So it is like looking at 115-120cm crt tv from 3,5 meters

So yes it will be perfect for most of you guys that are not eye relief demanding as myself :)

Picture to explain better:

This is direct comparison with 107 cm lcd tv watched from 3.5meters:
Modded mini display wins.

paulham

Post by paulham » 05 Feb 2018, 18:08

So which way is best?ImageImage

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 05 Feb 2018, 19:01

First picture way if it will fit. Try to put bottom side in line with screen and than use cs focusing system to sharpen the image.

Show us bottom B opening. If it is small diameter nothing good will happen.

A side looks good on your cs lens btw.

paulham

Post by paulham » 05 Feb 2018, 21:27

I have a 25mm lens which gives better eye relief but the display isn't any more magnified, perhaps its a little smaller than the stock lens.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 05 Feb 2018, 21:34

I have 7 x 25mm cs lenses and all of them have significantly smaller picture than 16mm one. Eye relief is not important if you have small crappy pic :)

So what is report. Is it working with your 16mm cs?

paulham

Post by paulham » 05 Feb 2018, 22:05

lightmesser wrote:I have 7 x 25mm cs lenses and all of them have significantly smaller picture than 16mm one. Eye relief is not important if you have small crappy pic :)

So what is report. Is it working with your 16mm cs?
nope. nothing to write home about.

If i take the top lens off the 25mm, the image gets magnified but no where near in focus. Perhaps there is another lens which will pull focus.
I dont know if testing loads of lenses is going to work, i think we need someone who understands optics.