New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Re: New display

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 22 Dec 2017, 19:42

sikapup wrote:cheers crs got the parcel and presie, many thanks and merry xmas :thumbup:
paul

Same to you, and thanks for the loan !

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 22 Dec 2017, 19:50

Some companies do ODM + OEM service for moq of 500 pcs(but simple cnc metal products). It seems that production of small lcd's is more complicated than we think. Changing of production process, tools or something else bugs them :(

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 23 Dec 2017, 12:37

Guys,

I need help ASAP.

I build 18650 5v battery cradle(step up 3.7-5v, 2A output) Double checked everything and cradle worked just fine...

After I made all other connectors to suit my needs darn thing(micro lcd) refuses to turn on...

I tried to reverse wires(black to red, red to black) and still nothing...

When I opened the unit i saw this:

So that ribbon cable is disconnected :lol: Where that needs to be connected? I really cant see...

Another question. Does this unit needs to show any signs of life if not connected to video signal? For example snowy picture on micro lcd?

Edit:
I found where it has to be lol :lol:

It appears that mine unit has right color power wires (red for power black for -)

My question still stands:
Does this unit shows any sign of life if not connected to video signal or camera? I mean on grainy picture like TV signal when program disappears or similar sign of life?
Last edited by lightmesser on 23 Dec 2017, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Dec 2017, 12:52

The connector for the ribbon cable is on the underside of the circuit board.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 23 Dec 2017, 12:54

phoenix wrote:The connector for the ribbon cable is on the underside of the circuit board.

Cheers

Bruce
We posted at same time i edited see pics above...

But I need you for this:

"Does this unit shows any sign of life if not connected to video signal or camera?" I mean on grainy picture like TV signal when program disappears or similar sign of life?

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 23 Dec 2017, 13:02

If that ribbon cable is off, then you will get no signal and no life what so ever as all the info is on the screen, and you have disconnected it , you need to make sure the power supply is of and orientate the ribbon cable correctly and slide it back into its slot. take your time as an ill fitted screen can be a disaster..........swapping the red and black power cable can also be a disaster

however, if you cannot sort it and as you are a customer of mine, not that this is one of my units, i will have a look at it if you like and try and fix it....cannot promise anything :thumbup:

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 23 Dec 2017, 13:04

Guys... It works.. It even shows blue screen when no video signal... But it is still kind a broken... I have to fix that ribbon cable somehow cause plastic holder of ribbon cable seems broke so as soon as I let fingers off; darn thing shuts itself out.

I will have to use non conductive epoxy or something similar :(

Thanks Bruce, Thanks Splatty I will report when I manage to diy this thing out :thumbup:

MrNewbie

Post by MrNewbie » 23 Dec 2017, 14:54

The ribbon cable connector, has a very small, I mean small, very small black FLIP up connector. It flips up at about a about 45 degree angle.
It is located right above the letters LW-DM-100F. Put the cable back in, then flip it down to lock it in place.
If the FLIP up/DOWN connector is broken, then glue it is

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 23 Dec 2017, 20:24

Clunge wrote:Bruce, did the innards of the unit look anything like the banggood near eye 'FLCOS' display?

https://www.banggood.com/FLCOS-720540-C ... rehouse=CN

Hutty33 used a similar one in his build a couple of months ago. Price seems to have mysteriously doubled.

I've got a 720x540 version waiting to be built with a Night Eagle.
I've not seen one of these displays in the flesh yet, but from the pics it looks like it could be a newer version of the display I used. It has the same make chip (though different type) and where the ribbon cable meets the back of the display looks the same or very similar. If it is a flcos display like the one I used there was a reflective film at around 45 degrees to the screen which is used to direct the light from the led (which provides the colour for the image), which I believe was the cause of my struggles for getting a clear image with some lenses - I played for ages with different lenses trying to increase the eye relief keeping a large and clear image, but didn't pull it off. I was able to increase the eye relief but the image was drastically smaller, and when a larger image may have been possible it wasn't even close to being a good image. There are a couple of things I wanted to try but as yet haven't got round to it.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 23 Dec 2017, 20:50

hutty33 wrote:
Clunge wrote:Bruce, did the innards of the unit look anything like the banggood near eye 'FLCOS' display?

https://www.banggood.com/FLCOS-720540-C ... rehouse=CN

Hutty33 used a similar one in his build a couple of months ago. Price seems to have mysteriously doubled.

I've got a 720x540 version waiting to be built with a Night Eagle.
I've not seen one of these displays in the flesh yet, but from the pics it looks like it could be a newer version of the display I used. It has the same make chip (though different type) and where the ribbon cable meets the back of the display looks the same or very similar. If it is a flcos display like the one I used there was a reflective film at around 45 degrees to the screen which is used to direct the light from the led (which provides the colour for the image), which I believe was the cause of my struggles for getting a clear image with some lenses - I played for ages with different lenses trying to increase the eye relief keeping a large and clear image, but didn't pull it off. I was able to increase the eye relief but the image was drastically smaller, and when a larger image may have been possible it wasn't even close to being a good image. There are a couple of things I wanted to try but as yet haven't got round to it.
I have had 4 similar types including the one you have just mentioned, i wanted a replacement to the vf-2c that i also stock, we want to go smaller and better/cheaper, these units are a step in the right direction but 1 flaw, the screen on all of them looks too far away and you do not get the immersion like you do with the vf-2c .......it amazes me how long the vf-2c has been on the market and no other option has beaten it hands down yet !

CRS