New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Re: New display

Postby lightmesser » 23 Dec 2017, 21:28

My first impressions(before any modding):

Picture quality ain't any better than VF 2C... I don't see better resolution... Resolution looks same. But it looks kinda more yellowish and bit blurrier to me than vf2c but no problem I can live with that.

There are thing I can't live with... Eye relief is more than terrible... I mean I only get usable image when I stick it directly into eyeballs with slightly hand press and then very unpleasant feeling from blinking(scraping) with my long eyelashes happens...

You guys say it is to small? I disagree... To my eyes this is good enough screen size and I would not have any problem with that but no freaking way I will use it until I solve eye relief mystery. Where they were looking when they made first sample unit? How can this be normal to "them"?

What I know since I modded Vf2c is that Vf2c uses acrylic aspherical lenses which are adopted(molded) to fit square ocular of vf 2c display. So I just want to say that right aspherical lens combination should work but it needs to be fitted over bare LCD display and not on main ocular lenses.

I will mod it that is for sure and I already have several types of lenses on slow boat. It is only matter of time. Edit: I also have several types at home so you never know.. .Maybe I'll get lucky.

It will be very good display if we ever manage to crack eye relief. I'm a believer :thumbup:

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Postby CustomRifleScopesUK » 23 Dec 2017, 22:19

Well i'm a firm believer too, and just to prove it, im ordering in bulk for all on here who wants one, special price for forum members as usual :thumbup:

CRS

blueeyes

Postby blueeyes » 24 Dec 2017, 09:20

still think view finder lens from an old camcorder might do it :thumbup:

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Postby CustomRifleScopesUK » 24 Dec 2017, 18:27

blueeyes wrote:still think view finder lens from an old camcorder might do it :thumbup:

very sorry to say but i doubt it, the old camcorders had very big screens.....some were near 1" ....these units are so tiny. The camcorder screens were that big you did not need much magnification, it was more like a focus lens, much like a lens you get in the VR helmets.
I think we need to head down the microscope road at a guess :?:

CRS

blueeyes

Postby blueeyes » 24 Dec 2017, 18:35

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:
blueeyes wrote:still think view finder lens from an old camcorder might do it :thumbup:

very sorry to say but i doubt it, the old camcorders had very big screens.....some were near 1" ....these units are so tiny. The camcorder screens were that big you did not need much magnification, it was more like a focus lens, much like a lens you get in the VR helmets.
I think we need to head down the microscope road at a guess :?:

CRS

Agh I see didnt think it was so small I cancelled my order because it was going to take to long , well if can be done it will be done on this site :thumbup: something like this http://www.olightek.com/products_detail ... Id=41.html

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 24 Dec 2017, 18:51

Oh... It is not that small when you push it into your eyeballs with hand :lol:

I will wait a bit because of following family holidays and than I'll make some dremmel surgery. I will not feel sorry for display even if i totally mess it up.

bear-uk

Postby bear-uk » 24 Dec 2017, 21:12

Watching with hope that you guys will crack this problem.
Regarding microscope lenses, The astronomy telescopes use various mag eyepieces as well and might be worth looking at.
Regards Steve.

tomtom215

Postby tomtom215 » 26 Dec 2017, 10:26

Hey folks,

I´m new to this stuff, but did alot of reading in this forum.
however, couple weeks ago I ordered this display along with a rucam night eagle camera at banggood.
I took around 4 weeks to arrive.

I connected the camera to the near eye display and powered both up with 4 x AA batteries. Everything worked right away.
The camera had VERY good IR sensitivity (tested with a 940 nm IR Strobe).

So I´m happy with my camera choice so far, but not so much with the near eye display.
The picture is WAY to small. They claim it looks like an 80" screen, well in my opinion it looks like one that is around 30 m away from you. Eye relief is also shit. Your eye has to be very close to the lens to get a proper picture.

But the best is yet to come:
when I tried to remove the rubber eyecup, by pulling it of, the bottom of the display housing ripped of, together with the cable that connects the display to the board!
So now I can throw a brand new display into the trash, because the cable broke. bye, bye 76€

Does anyone know where to get such a cable?

tomtom215

Postby tomtom215 » 26 Dec 2017, 10:35

Last edited by tomtom215 on 26 Dec 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 26 Dec 2017, 10:47

From your pics I saw that you messed it up totally. Ribbon cable broke so game over here :lol: Anyway nice try :thumbup:

Return to “DIY Nightvision”