A Few Projects

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
superslack

Re: A Few Projects

Postby superslack » 15 Dec 2017, 02:52

Now I'm really interested!

How do you remove the filter and clean the glue off?

edit: I just took apart the night wolf v2 and there is thick flat glass looking piece on the sensor. when viewed from an angle it looks pink. So I guess you're right.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 15 Dec 2017, 10:27

I know that I am 100% right since I personally discovered than new Night Wolf 2(those are mine pics) has IR fitted sensor and very good MCCD camera.

So don't worry you'll see in a dark after you remove it ;)

Use this procedure:
I used soldering Iron with Hakko 900M-T-4C tip(if you don't have it use thickest tip you have) 350C temperature and around 1-2 minutes of continuous heating on top of IR filter while holding it with tweezers. When I was doing that IR filter cracked at half and at that point I was really afraid that I messed up the sensor. So I will claim this is hardest glued IR filter I've ever removed.

After that use isopropyl alcohol(this is not just any alcohol so please use this one as it is used for motherboards, flux cleaning etc.) on ear cotton swab and gently rub the sensor until you remove even tiny bit of glue and then use finest micro fiber cloth like this:

blueeyes

Postby blueeyes » 15 Dec 2017, 11:42

Plenty on the tube heres just one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MCWnl6gCY

superslack

Postby superslack » 15 Dec 2017, 23:05

Thanks to lightmesser and blueeyes for the tips on removing the IR filter. I used the big chisel tip set at 350C and heated the filter for 30 seconds. It lifted of with pliers and very little pressure. The filter on mine appeared to be glued around the edge and dab in the center. The rubbing alcohol and microfiber cleaned the sensor nicely.

An unintended consequence of removing the filter is that the lenses now need to be threaded further in the casing by the thickness of the filter. My CS lense adapter cannot thread in far enough to focus the image. I'm not sure the lens I used on the scopeless build will work and that build is built around that lens :wtf:

I did find a couple M12 lenses that worked, though. The camera is usable in low light now. HOWEVER, using the same lens, the Night Eagle 2 has superior light gathering and clear image. I haven't tried with additional IR yet, or messing with the Night Wolf v2 settings, but as of right now, the Night Eagle 1 is clearly superior.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 16 Dec 2017, 11:58

I would not say it is superior... It has better resolution since it use xxl cmos sensor (probably SC1020 based)...
Night Wolf after little settings play will have about same night performance but of course only 700 TVL lines of main mccd sensor (it does not have cmos sensor, they declare it wrong).

Also wolf behaves better on IR light and has better 940nm capability(try this out).

superslack

Postby superslack » 18 Dec 2017, 15:57

I will try it out. what settings did you end up with in the night wolf?

Also, what lenses are you using? I'm not really happy about removing the 1.4mm ir filter and now cannot get the lens to focus because I run out of threads.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 18 Dec 2017, 16:54

Is it big deal to shorten a threads? :lol: You know this is normal work here on NVFUK ask people who modded tons of EJ230 and other cams for scopless builds... Go through library...
So yes you gotta find right distance for certain lenses and use file, saw or lathe to shorten up the threads or just use M12 lenses?

Settings? I really can't remember mine cause I made it for friend but try this settings from one FPV Bloke:
Just focus on distant spot (50-100m) and go through all settings until you find one that are most suitable for your eyes. Someone likes brighter settings someone darker... Than you got IR settings etc...

So far I tried lot of cameras like effio e ccd cameras and the best is with ICX 633 sensor(disappeared from market), EJ230/E700 is classic but it has about similar/same performance as 633 with better resolution so I suspect 633 could be inside them also, Night owl, Surveilzone Starlight, and now Night Wolf V2 use MCCD sensor and wolf seems like better optimized camera than all mccd brothers...

Night Eagle is really cool resolution vise(the best and unbeatable resolution) and very good night performance(sensitivity) with some limitations (very sensitive to backlights - distant street lights for example so when looking from field toward them it kind a blacks out, very sensitive to IR light so it white outs close so you need regulated IR light).

Any MCCD's and CMOS Eagle(SC1020 based sensor from unknown China manufacturer) will be more sensitive as a spotter than 633/KT&C but they surely beat the hell outta them in add on mode especially 633 which has auto IR compensation function so throw her 5000MW T67 Rubby at 10 meters and you'll not get nothing but clear picture(no white out) so same picture at 10 and 500 meters cause it auto compensated IR light.

If I would have to choose among them I would just buy newest Yukon Photon lol :lol: When it appeared diy scopeless builds lost building sense to me :(

EDIT: Put it on B/W only... That guy has put it on color mode(they like it :) )

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 03 Jan 2018, 19:04

Hi Lightmesser,
Seems like you have done a fair amount of testing.

Can I ask your advice please ??
My permissions have a lot of street light (hard to avoid these days) and light pollution from the city.
I currently use a standard Sony Effio 700tvl on my spotter and scope-add-on, they work ok but I know I can do better.

The E700PUB is a bit expensive for my budget (as I need two cameras).

Do I'm considering the Foxeer Wolf 2 based on your post above since the Night Eagle will probably have issues with light pollution and street lights where I shoot.

Before I order the Wolf, should I look at any other cameras on the market?

Cheers
Tracker

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 03 Jan 2018, 23:16

Hmmm...

It is really hard to pick... Some good cameras disappeared while EJ230 and E700 are very good all round performers especially for addon...

Wolf, Eagle and street lights. They will both be disturbed by them... Eagle sees little better(15-20%) Wolf is more complicated with a lot of settings, and crazy IR sensitivity so if you don't like to fiddle you will have greater white outs than on Eagle. It can be compensated in settings though.

Don't pick Wolf if you are not ready to modd it. Eagle is very expensive... E 700 is cheaper than Eagle...

So you see I can't give you right advice here. Maybe newest Yukon Photon with integrated DVR recording? I know you will be happy with it :lol:

Texan

Postby Texan » 03 Jan 2018, 23:49

If you are worried about visible light, just put a ir pass filter of the same frequency as your Illuminator in front of the camera lens.

Return to “DIY Nightvision”