A Few Projects

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
superslack

A Few Projects

Post by superslack » 13 Dec 2017, 01:14

I've put together a monocular and scope recently.

The monocular uses a Hammond project box, a Runcam Night Eagle 1, the top off of a flanged hammond project box as a strong back for the camera, the V-750 near eye display, and 2 x 18650s with voltage regulator for the near eye. The batter holder has a protection circuit so I can charge just by plugging in the charging port. The near eye is held to the box with industrial strength velcro. The lens is a Tree eye 25mm F1.2 from aliexpress.

ImageMonocular 1 by Undrcoverrednek, on Flickr

ImageMonocular 2 by Undrcoverrednek, on Flickr

The scope uses a 1 piece cantilever scope base, a Foxeer Night Wolf V2, a Tree eye 50mm F1.2 lens, some electrical tape around the lens to ensure the 1" scope ring could clamp the lens, a project box off ebay, a 5" screen, and a 3 x 18650 battery holder in the box. I need to add external charging so I don't have to remove the batteries. I also have not shot it yet. I hope it holds zero. I will report back in a few weeks about that.

ImageScope 1 by Undrcoverrednek, on Flickr

ImageScope 2 by Undrcoverrednek, on Flickr

ImageScope 3 by Undrcoverrednek, on Flickr

blueeyes

Re: A Few Projects

Post by blueeyes » 13 Dec 2017, 08:19

Nice neat and tidy builds keep em coming :thumbup:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 13 Dec 2017, 10:57

Looks a very nice scopeless build - suited to air ranges with the 25mm lens. :thumbup:

superslack

Post by superslack » 13 Dec 2017, 12:55

The scoreless build uses a 50mm tree eye m12 lens. I estimate it at 3x magnification. I did use it to clearly identify a fox with a rabbit its mouth at approximately 100 yards. It also has a wide fov which was the goal.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 13 Dec 2017, 13:14

superslack wrote:The scoreless build uses a 50mm tree eye m12 lens. I estimate it at 3x magnification. I did use it to clearly identify a fox with a rabbit its mouth at approximately 100 yards. It also has a wide fov which was the goal.
Blimey I'm getting worse - dunno where I got the 25mm lens bit from.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 14 Dec 2017, 00:03

Nice build man :thumbup:

So what is better Night Eagle(cmos) or Night Wolf(mccd)?

superslack

Post by superslack » 14 Dec 2017, 02:06

There are pros and cons to each camera.

The Night Eagle 1 has VERY good light gathering ability. I always have image with the smallest amount of ambient light. With extremely low light there is some noise on the screen, but the image is usable. With IR light added, it's phenomenal. With the 1/1.8" sensor, the field of view is wide and easy to spot things.

The Night Wolf V2 gives a black screen until there is enough light to focus the image sharply. Therefore, IR light is always needed as add on. I don't mind this for a scope since I need to positively identify my targets before shooting. The Foxeer has a great, easy to use privacy masking that can generate a nice reticle design. It is also only $44 reglular price. I picked up one on sale recently for $33.

If I could get the privacy masking for a reticle on the Night Eagle I would not buy the Night Wolf v2.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 14 Dec 2017, 09:58

Thanks! That is very interesting data.

Did you took IR filter off from Night Wolf sensor?

superslack

Post by superslack » 14 Dec 2017, 16:41

I was not aware there was an ir filter on the night wolf. Why would they do that? And how could adding additional or light make the image appear if there was an ir filter in place?

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 15 Dec 2017, 00:36

superslack wrote:I was not aware there was an ir filter on the night wolf. Why would they do that? And how could adding additional or light make the image appear if there was an ir filter in place?
I will tell you... You did not disassembled it lol :D

They do that cause they made it for FPV Drone guys and they like color night vision mode :) , but even that does not have any sense since they could easily make IR fitted lenses but obviously they are to dumb to figure that out(excuse me for my behavior but I can't find another word) .

Yes filter is inside and it has hardest glued IR filter ever. Be very careful removing and cleaning that... When you remove that it will kill Night Eagle :thumbup:

Here are some pics: