A Few Projects

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Re: A Few Projects

Post by Trackerman » 23 Jan 2018, 18:55

well i opened it and saw a nice red/purple tinted glass plate which was quite easy to remove... just sliced the edges with a fresh scalpel knife and it lifted up without any heat....

testing it later tonight...

PS, lens is locked with thread-lock so some brute force removed it.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 23 Jan 2018, 22:30

Ok, testing went well, the Night Wolf 2 is certainly way better than the standard Sony 700 tvl Super Had 2.

But I can't compare to the KPC-E700PUB as I don't have one.

I also noticed that the red/purple glass filter which I removed is NOT an IR filter, I proved this by holding it over my IR light.
When I did this before with a previously removed IR filter it blocked out the IR source.
So it must be some other kind of filter...

I guess Foxeer decided not to put an IR filter on the Night Wolf as its intended for night flying... makes sense.

T

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 23 Jan 2018, 22:53

What? LOL

You will have to enlighten me... So this ain't IR filter?:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 23 Jan 2018, 23:01

It aint...

I held the supposed IR filter over my IR source and it didnt change anything.
Previously I did this with an IR glass and it completely blocked the IR.
But I've no idea what it it... unless it's filtering a much higher IR wavelength like 940 ?
let me test that idea... it's easily done.

PS if anyone wants the Foxeer mount I designed it's over on Thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2767733

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 23 Jan 2018, 23:09

yes it's filtering 940 and above.

I tested this with an 850 and 940 source.

So Foxeer are clever enough to fine tune their IR filter, good chaps.

superslack

Post by superslack » 24 Jan 2018, 01:49

Trackerman, thanks for posting your filter results. I was a little confused about the IR filter since the camera responded well to 850nm illumination. I'll have to try my filtered one with my 940nm illuminator.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 24 Jan 2018, 09:50

Wait guys,

Don't be silly. You are making me laugh :D

That thing is IR filter and sure each IR filter will pass certain amount of IR light no matter on which camera even on sony had, exview or how ever you gonna call it camera. It all depend how strong IR source you have.

That filter on Night Wolf 2 camera seriously downgrades performance of Night Wolf 2 camera. Tested and confirmed by me since this is camera I will use in my first mirror build.

Guys at Foxeer are not clever. They are stupid enough to put that filter on the sensor... Why they did so? They could easily leave bare sensor like surveilzone camera and Runcum owl plus manufacturers did(if you did not know they all use same mccd sensor from picture above) and they used IR filter fitted lenses instead of stupid IR filter on sensor (so IR filter is on lenses not on sensor).

Ir filter enables better daytime and nightime color rendering. Yes 80% of FPV guys likes to fly with color mode, and yes IR filter on sensor will still pass some IR light especially if you use Black Sun or Rubby system but take that c.r.a.p. IR filter off and it will pass not only 50-60% more IR light it will also have better night gathering performance.
Did you ever tried to watch at night with sunglasses on? LOL It is same thing with that IR filter you removed from Wolf eyes :).

I don't recommend scalpel doing this... Trackerman would you be so kind and show us how scalpel removed sensor looks on your Nightwolf 2 camera? Macro if available cause I suspect you maybe could heavily scratch that glass protection on sensor.

Edit: Night Wolf 2 is not better than EJ230 but it is more sensitive to IR light(especially 940NM one).

The best camera on market is Night Eagle with SC1020 sensor of unknown China manufacturer(myself and one FPV guy discovered that, in fact he discovered and confirmed that).
It has highest resolution and clearest daytime and night time picture, excellent night gathering ability(around 10% better than EJ and 15-20% better than Wolf) but it is also more expensive than EJ230 plus you need reticle generator for scopless build. So for addon mirror build I just wanted camera that has the best IR sensitivity and that is Wolf(especially when you fine tune B/W, IR settings).

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 24 Jan 2018, 12:23

Hi lightmesser,
I think we are in agreement now , the red filter is an IR filter, but it's designed to filter 940 and allows 850 to pass , but probably still attenuates 850 some amount.
My tests were not accurate and led me to think it's not IR block but later I found it's just different to other IR filters I've seen before.

My guess is foxeer discovered the need for some amount of IR filtering to give acceptable daytime results... Since night wolf is designed for dusk and low light rather than full darkness.

Removal of the filter was fairly easy, I could see the glue had not fully set and pressure to one side caused it to move slightly, so I cut the sides and off it came , trust me ... The glass underneath is perfect , I used a desk magnification lamp to check.
Perhaps the glue had set fully in your camera and so made it hard to remove.

But glad we made you laugh :-)

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 24 Jan 2018, 12:36

One other nice advantage of the night wolf is it shown the voltage level ... Handy to know your battery status. Particularly if the 18650 don't have protection but in.

Not sure if eagle or other cameras have this... ?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Jan 2018, 12:46

Most filters attached to the sensor of a camera are designed to block both IR and UV.
Have a look at the other surface of the filter you removed and if it has a blue tint, then it's a UV filter.
To get colour reproduction from a ccd or CMOS sensors that matches the human eye response to colour it is necessary to block both IR and UV - so that's why most cameras have filters attached to their sensors.
I have to say I wasn't aware a simple glass filter with an IR blocking coating on one surface could be made to pass 940nm but block 850nm.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR