A Few Projects

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Re: A Few Projects

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 15:49

Texan wrote:I agree that if you do not have significant visible light sources messing up your shot that an IR Pass would make things worse. I offered the suggestion only for situations where you have to deal with strong point sources of visible light. Like passing cars and street lights.
No worries texan man, it was a good point and I will be testing it out.

PS I accidentally replied to your post with the 'report this post' button, hope the moderator doesn't take any action... sorry!

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 04 Jan 2018, 16:09

Trackerman wrote:
Texan wrote:I agree that if you do not have significant visible light sources messing up your shot that an IR Pass would make things worse. I offered the suggestion only for situations where you have to deal with strong point sources of visible light. Like passing cars and street lights.
No worries texan man, it was a good point and I will be testing it out.

PS I accidentally replied to your post with the 'report this post' button, hope the moderator doesn't take any action... sorry!
Yes Texan... It is really good point and I will have to test it( I really have several 50 mm 850nm IR pass filters laying around plus one 720nm 50 mm one) i got to try it with Wolf because it is ultra sensitive to IR light.

Did I said black out happens? I really thought white out happens Trackerman :lol: Yes newest Wolf is V2 with MCCD sensor same like Owl from runcam.

They have same sensor but Wolf has more advanced firmware... I think you will enjoy fiddling with it and since you are on low budget go for it :thumbup:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 16:32

Thanks, ordered and on its way!

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Jan 2018, 16:54

I fitted and SLR type IR pass filter to the front of the scope in my Futon build which used an EJ230 camera.
It significantly sharpened up the image during daytime by blocking visible light and allowing me to adjust the lens of the scope for IR only, and for NV use the IR filter passed the IR from the illuminator and the scope worked perfectly
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6122&hilit=futon
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8849&hilit=futon

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 17:18

Nice one Bruce , always good to hear from someone with real experience. I'm definitely going to order a photographer type IR pass filter for my scope .

Cheers!

Tracker

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 17:28

Ps, while I have the attention of some keen diy builders ...

Has anybody found a way to reduce the light emitted from the standard Chinese 5" LCD screen ?
I mean apart from placing a filter over the screen.
I feel there should be a way to reduce the backlight intensity.

When I opened the LCD I can see what I think are the two ribbon cable wires for the backlight, but as it's thin ribbon cable ( that brown/gold stuff) it's hard to splice in.
I'm thinking there may be a pcb mod possible to reduce the backlight....

Any suggestions?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Jan 2018, 17:53

If you can find the pcb tracks that lead to the connector for the brown/gold ribbon cable, you could cut one of the tracks, solder wires to the cut ends and then solder a 1 kohm variable resistor to the other ends of the wires. that should allow you to vary the brightness of the backlight LEDs.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 18:07

Nice one Bruce,
I was just peeking inside and measuring, it's a 24v switched voltage being fed to the backlight. So your suggestion seems correct, reduce the voltage.

I can splice in on the PCB, just before it goes to the ribbon.

1kOhm pot on the way ... saves me having to experiment.

Texan

Post by Texan » 04 Jan 2018, 18:08

I think most lcd back lights are controlled by pulse width modulation (PWM). An Arduino can do that easily. Now finding the proper wires to hack into, that is hard.

Edit, or not :thumbup:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 04 Jan 2018, 19:29

Pulse width it may be, but having looked looked over the cct I feel the easier option will be to put a resistor on the 24v feed.

I tried fixed 1k in series and saw a notable reduction in the backlight, but I'll have to visit the parts shop to get a pot so I can make a potential divider circuit. Adding more series resistance isn't making much difference.

Hi Brice, can you confirm this?... the Pot needs to be put in as a voltage divider i.e. one leg ground, one leg 24v and output from the wiper... right?