A Few Projects

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Re: A Few Projects

Post by Trackerman » 06 Jan 2018, 15:52

A bit more research has shown that most of the cheap 16mm lenses from China are probably f2.6 or worse !

See this lens from BHPhoto in NY.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... pixel.html
It looks like the 16mm lens I was using.

I also notice that BHphoto do a 'real' 16mm f1.2, just look at the front element!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Mount.html

They also do a 25mm f2.0 lens for 88bucks!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... p_m12.html

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Jan 2018, 19:20

Thanks Trackerman,

You are completely right about everything written in your last 2 posts.

I am at finishing phase of my mirror build (already tested it with all kinds of sticky tapes and on classic 5" monitor). I decided to leave 25mm mm lenses on but not because I like magnification...
I really hate larger magnification than 6x and when you stick 25mm lenses picture crops at least to 8x magnification with thicker crosshair.

I decided to leave it because of greater light gathering ability as you told :thumbup: . It really has it cause it pics up IR light at least 20% better than 16mm lenses.

I will just have to get lets say 3,5 - 9x something scope to get to my desired 6x magnification.

Also advantage of 25 is that you have full image on screen without cut edges.
:wave:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 07 Jan 2018, 10:26

Folks,
I know the Night Wokf v2 comes inside a metal housing.

But does the PCB have two screw holes in the corners?

Or is it just a square PCB inside the metal housing?

I'm thinking of how I can mount it in my scope-add-on

My previous camera has 4 screw holes in each corner so it made it easy to mount.

cheers
Tracker

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 07 Jan 2018, 10:48

Trackerman wrote:
But does the PCB have two screw holes in the corners?

Tracker
Yes it does, the 2 screws on the back of the housing pass through the holes on the board and into the front part of the housing.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 07 Jan 2018, 11:11

Cheers thanks Hutty.

hutty33

Post by hutty33 » 07 Jan 2018, 11:49

Just a thought Tracker...it sounds like you're planning to remove the board from the housing and mount it without aswell?
In the past I've read about some of the fpv type cameras being designed to utilize the aluminium housing as a heat sink for a chip on the camera board. This design came about after some cameras had issues with overheating, causing issues and failures.
I don't know if the NightWolf v2 is one of these cameras, but there is a little pad inside the back plate of the housing on the NightWolf v2 that sits against a chip when the housing is closed - it may simply be for support or maybe another reason, but it seems it is placed specifically for the chip which suggests heat sinking.
Something to think about when mounting the camera fella.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 07 Jan 2018, 12:17

You have several types ways of mounting:

First: Roalids rail style. Easy to build but you would have to adopt your wolf 2 to accept CS lenses (saw of one part of Wolf troat and add M12 to CS converter) so it is as easy as connecting one high mount on the scope, long picatinny rail above it and then you are finding the right distance for your other high 30mm mount which is now fitted with CS lenses. Find right distance from ocular and it is done.

Second: DSA adapter... No need to much modding here. You could even use stock M12 lenses and DSA also has regulated picatinny rail so you can adjust distance. You would only have to diy battery spot and monitor

Third: a lot of ready setup adapters like Some Bloke are ready available out there.

Fourth: your unique ideas :thumbup:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 07 Jan 2018, 15:50

Thanks guys...

I fly racing drones and I know the white pad your talking about Hutty, I'm fairly sure its to stop vibration and to keep the pcb sitting firmly.

Lightmesser, I like cheap and easy :thumbup:
So I will be mounting the PCB directly (Without case) to my scope tube adapter, I just use 1mm x 15mm screws to hold the PCB in place.
It also allows me to fine tune the position of the camera to get the angle H and V just right.

I see if I can post a pic...

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 07 Jan 2018, 16:03

Pic below... the camera in this case is a standard 700 TVL Sony Super Had II

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 07 Jan 2018, 16:05

Then I put the OSD control board on the back...