Flash kill for Ir lamps .

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
marcos58

Flash kill for Ir lamps .

Post by marcos58 » 01 Jan 2018, 08:28

Happy new year Gents.
Last day in Bahrain and whilst here talking yesterday to a ex para sniper about his experiences all very interesting stuff. He's told me about his equipment and techniques and told me about flash kill scope covers. I then had and ooooh ! moment after a few New Year's Eve wines, a quick google search led to YouTube make your own for $6 . Just a quick question, would one of these be of any help used in front of say a black sun ruby to cut visible light ?
Thanks for any thoughts in advance.
Regards.
Marcos.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Flash kill for Ir lamps .

Post by sunndog » 01 Jan 2018, 12:27

Those honeycomb things?

Maybe cut off axis light spill a little? Mind you it wouldn't be as good as a shroud in that way
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Darren.R

Post by Darren.R » 01 Jan 2018, 15:16

Ant Supplies have flash killers pre-built into shrouds/sunshades... https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-sight ... ashes.html

They would definitely reduce visible glare from all directions apart from head-on, but given that we point the IR directly at the quarry, I don't see it being too effective with the highly visible ruby tbh.

Atb,
Darren.

Texan

Post by Texan » 02 Jan 2018, 22:43

If you are trying to block visible light, an ir pass filter will only let ir through.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... dau5twgv_e