Camera 5v?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Camera 5v?

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 25 Jan 2018, 19:42

Yes your right,

The night owl and Wolf i feel are better at collecting light than the E700 or the Ej without IR, however they are so good at times you get a white out and need to keep adjusting your light levels on the cam or changing your IR power, but all worth it i feel :thumbup:

CRS

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 25 Jan 2018, 22:26

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:Yes your right,

The night owl and Wolf i feel are better at collecting light than the E700 or the Ej without IR, however they are so good at times you get a white out and need to keep adjusting your light levels on the cam or changing your IR power, but all worth it i feel :thumbup:

CRS
IMHO Eagle is the best in natural night light gathering ability. E700 is slightly better than Wolf 2 with clearer image and slightly better in natural night light gathering capability but yes as you all noticed Wolf beats them all when it comes to IR light sensitivity.

Splatty mentioned white outs. They happen with Wolf mostly in scopless and spotter builds. But there is even cure for that in wolf settings but you guys are to lazy to play with settings? Under B/W settings set IR gathering settings to average(below middle), now turn on your used IR light and go to brightness settings and lower brightness down to your desired settings. Better do that at 20-30yds. With regulation of brightness picture will clear from white out to clear picture.Voila! But with that action you'll also reduce natural light gathering ability so it is bit of compromise. It is best for addon.

With my mirror build I can throw her 50mm 4715as at 20 yds and more than 300yds and no any white outs.
I would sort them like this: Eagle as new undisputed camera king with greatest resolution, E700 EJ230 as best all rounder, Night Wolf 2 as best IR gathering cam.

Real true is that you can't go wrong with either of them.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 26 Jan 2018, 11:53

Hi Lightmesser,

I notice in the Night Wolf menu there is a 'IR Smart' setting with a sub-menu which allows the setting of a masked area along with 'IR GAIN'.

Have you found out how this works?
Does it allow the user to set the foreground area of the image to be less sensitive to IR?
If yes then this is a great feature, it should reduce the IR reflection from grass/land between us and the target.

Thanks
T

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 26 Jan 2018, 13:23

I think that IR smart does nothing :)
Well to be honest I did not play with that function to much... So I hope you'll play and maybe discover something better in IR settings? I just set gain lower than middle and handle whiteout in brightness settings. I would be glad that someone gets better settings than that. So please keep playing.

Wolf has most comprehensive IR settings on market that is for sure but I think that is unnecessary complication in their firmware. Why?
No matter how comprehensive that settings are they simply does not beat my old Sony ICX 633 camera(disappeared from market) which had simple auto IR correction function.

I just wish all manufacturers have that simple auto IR correction function but unfortunately none of them uses that in firmware :(

Auto IR is so awesome guys... I think very rare few of you managed to see camera with it? It brings no fiddling with IR or brightness settings and you could throw her T67 Rubby on high mode from 10 to 1000 meters and it perfectly auto compensates each time without any bit of whiteout.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 26 Jan 2018, 14:38

Thanks, I'll experiment with smart IR tonight and let you know how it goes.

Funny the foxeer manual doesn't mention this feature, it might be inactive as you say.

T

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 26 Jan 2018, 17:16

jdk1 wrote:
paulham wrote:
jdk1 wrote:Paul I have got one of these if you want to try it.

http://www.eachine.com/Eachine-1000TVL- ... p-357.html
Hi john,

Have you tried it outside yet in the dark? Specs don't look that good for night use compared to the runcams.

I might go for that Foxeer night wolf v2
No I tried it out in the shed just to make sure it worked but there is a pretty good review of it here

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17853
i was veiwing out to 100 yards odd with a small IR sourse, i did remove the ir filter from the sencor. for the size and the money i liked them.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 26 Jan 2018, 18:11

@ Lightmesser

ok I played with the Smart IR setting and it does plenty!!!

The Gain sets the amount of IR gain to be applied to the masked zone.

Try this to see how it works:
Turn On Smart IR.
Set the gain to zero.
Set the mask zone to be the left hand part of the screen, so the right part is not masked.

Then point your NV rig at a bright reflector, like a wall or a building which would normally make the screen 'white out'.
You will notice that when the building is behind the masked area the IR is attenuated so the glare is removed and you can see it clearly.
but when the building is to the right hand area (not behind the mask) you get white-out from too much IR.

So its a bit like privacy masking only it allows us to say which part of the screen we want lower IR gain.

Of course the menu can be used to have the opposite effect, i.e. we can set higher IR gain in special areas.

My thinking is that if we set the foreground (lower half of the screen) to have lower gain it will address the bright glare from grass/land nearest us and allow us to see the distant target better...

Alternatively we can set the background (upper half of the screen) to have high gain, this will brighten the distance objects.
Then the IR LEVEL on the previous menu can be set low because the Smart IR will apply high gain to the areas we want.
This should also deal with white-outs from nearby objects like you mentioned earlier.

A nice feature me thinks... 8-)

Well done Foxeer!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 26 Jan 2018, 19:05

Sounds like a great feature - good research there. :thumbup:

Some of us aim our illuminators slightly above centre screen to acheive a similar result by the way... Well my integrated illuminators are. :angel:

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 27 Jan 2018, 09:49

Trackerman
Thanks for additional info and effort :thumbup:
I still did not try cause I am very sick :sick:(flue). That is nice feature but In that case I would really want privacy mask over all screen. Why? Lets say 50mm 4715AS perfectly covers scope filed of view on 6x magnification so I don't want any special zone(zones that will be more or less sensitive). Whole scope fov is one special and sensitive zone so I would just want to turn Illuminator on and have great picture up close and up far. So my question when we set that IR privacy mask how it behaves in distance? If it looses performance on distance than it will be no good. Please further test that.

I am really looking forward for further testings.

As Some Bloke said IR light needs to be set slightly above center of crosshair to perfectly cover scope fov on all distances.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 29 Jan 2018, 11:40

@ lightmesser,
Ok so I did more testing , actually in the field and we managed to get a nice dog fox :)

The best use (I found so far) of this feature turns out to be when aiming at a close target, say 30 to 40 m away.
Normally the foreground will white-out in this situation, due to excessive light bring received and over driving the camera.
But by creating a zone in the foreground and programme lower gain for it, then this problem goes away. The camera will sense the bright area and reduce gain. It doesn't affect targets at 100 + meters since we generally have more zoom in use and so foreground light is not an issue.

I have also found there is a similar mask (actually 2 masks) available in the BLC menu , again there is a gain setting and moveable mask area. Not had time to play with this one yet.

Get well soon !

T.