Camera 5v?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Camera 5v?

Postby some bloke » 29 Jan 2018, 13:14

UGH...

Maybe I'm a luddite but with all the hype going on here I decided to see what kind of adaptor I'd need to supply a DSA for someone using one of these orange things claimed to be better for an add-on than an E700.

First thing as far as I am concerned is the lens seems to be glued in and I get the feeling something is likely to get destroyed if I wrench it any harder. Ironically the destructions warn to read the jottings entirely to avoid damage - yet make no reference to changing the fookin lens. :crazy:

superslack

Postby superslack » 29 Jan 2018, 13:24

The lens is glued, but if you out your wrench around the lens and hold the camera in your hand, you should be able to get it off with not much issue.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 29 Jan 2018, 13:41

superslack wrote:The lens is glued, but if you out your wrench around the lens and hold the camera in your hand, you should be able to get it off with not much issue.

Ah thanks for that - so we void the warranty to use it.

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 29 Jan 2018, 17:04

Yeah the lens is well glued in place.

And don't forget the IR filter over the camera, it's got to come off for optimal performance.

I'll be very intrested in your comparison results.

I've ordered a second one for the spotter.

Cheers

T

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 29 Jan 2018, 17:43

some bloke wrote:UGH...

Maybe I'm a luddite but with all the hype going on here I decided to see what kind of adaptor I'd need to supply a DSA for someone using one of these orange things claimed to be better for an add-on than an E700.

First thing as far as I am concerned is the lens seems to be glued in and I get the feeling something is likely to get destroyed if I wrench it any harder. Ironically the destructions warn to read the jottings entirely to avoid damage - yet make no reference to changing the fookin lens. :crazy:

When it comes to pure nigh gathering performance(no IR lights) Night Wolf 2 is not better than E700 but Night Eagle is :angel:

Trackerman,

Thanks for further test. :thumbup:

Edit: So BLC you say? I think that will not help but I hope that I am wrong like with that IR settings lol :mrgreen:

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 29 Jan 2018, 20:29

@ Lightmesser
Hi, I tested some more tonight and I think possibly that BLC might be better than IR gain mask (Smart IR) :wtf:
If you adjust the BLC mask to the the sweet spot where the crosshairs are, then it will attenuate excessive light from that spot, otherwise it will allow the camera to go to full light sensitivity. This seems to work work well for any bright (close) targets, then for distant targets it allows full gain because the light is not overpowering.

Furthermore I'm now not convinced SMART IR is helping us all that much if we use BLC instead to control white-out's.

Appreciate to know what you think when you get a chance to test.

PS, I should add that you can't use BLC and Smart IR at the same time, the menu sets BLC to - - - - if Smart IR is enabled.
So both work in similar ways.

T

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 29 Jan 2018, 20:53

I just hope that white out compensation from IR smart or BLC instantly cleans that out without any lag? Keep up with testing... You will find the best setting for us.

And when you find the best post final version here. Members especially older ones that don't like to fiddle will be very grateful :thumbup:

Thanks ;)

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 29 Jan 2018, 23:00

Lag is not a problem from what I've seen, it's very fast to adjust.

I'll post my optimal settings when I've settled on the best setup.

T

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 30 Jan 2018, 20:37

Ok... so best settings on my scope for the Foxeer Night Wolf v2 are as follows... (you may need to tweek these depending on your scope and IR source).

Exposure:
....Auto Shutter
....Brightness = 200
....DWDR On = level set to 063 (max)
Backlight = OFF (This is where BLC normally lives when Smart IR is disabled)
Day/Night
....Burst- doesn't matter
....IR SMART = ON
........Gain 000 (this determines how much gain is used when strong IR light is detected)
........Height 009
........Width 010
........left/Right 002
........Top/Bottom 003
....IR level = High
Special
....Image adjust
.......Contrast = 112
.......Sharpness 031 (max)
.......Display = CRT

I'm not saying these are the very best settings, but the best I can get so far using my setup, 'your mileage may vary'.
I noticed the Smart IR can get overloaded by really bright IR light, when this happens it flips out and goes to full gain i.e. almost blinds you.
To stop this, reduce the Exposure : Brightness down a bit more until Smart IR behaves itself, these seems to be a balance point here.

I found Smart IR was better than BLC at moderating bright light. Both act to cut gain when excessive light hits the masked ares, but Smart IR seemed to be better in my tests.

My rig is a standard 67mm IR with factory Pill, focused to give a fairly tight spot and at max power setting.
Scope is a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire x3 to x9, 43mm (p.s. Not great for NV, it has no side focus and dims a lot at full zoom).
Lens is a 25mm f1.8 (I prefer this to 16mm as compensates for the low scope zoom)

Be interested to hear how others get on with these settings.

I was clearly able to see trees 400m away when on low zoom, these got darker at full zoom but I was still able to see details.
And then I could pan over to a nearby building (50m) and the SMART IR stepped in and reduced the gain to give a very clear, high contrast image.

Cheers
Tracker.
Last edited by Trackerman on 30 Jan 2018, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 30 Jan 2018, 21:18

Well done Trackerman. We needed someone like you :thumbup:

Return to “DIY Nightvision”