Video magnification / zoom ?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Video magnification / zoom ?

Postby Trackerman » 04 Feb 2018, 16:05

Hiya guys,
I seems that it would be quite useful to switch in a x 2 times video zoom on a scope-add-on setup.

Especially of your scope has limited zoom (like mine).

I appreciate the 700 TVL video would get noticeably pixelated, but in cases where you just need that extra reach it would be nice option to have.

has anyone ever come across a PCB or device that can simply perform x2 zoom.

Thanks

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Video magnification / zoom ?

Postby phoenix » 04 Feb 2018, 17:20

There are some cameras which have a zoom facility, but that feature tends to be hidden deep in the menu structure of the camera and not available at the press of a button
As an alternative, what about a fresnel lens magnifier placed in front of the screen https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Postby CustomRifleScopesUK » 13 Feb 2018, 17:50

Like Bruce says, you will find some zoom cameras that will give you that extra, you can set them up in the menu prior to using as its a pain trying to zoom in and out by going through a few sub menu's ..... you can also up the mag of the lens on your camera slightly to give you more overall magnification, but you will have no adjustment, it would be fixed mag every time you put the addon on your scope !

CRS

Texan

Postby Texan » 14 Feb 2018, 01:04

Trackerman, I looked into this a long time ago and decided that I did not want to spend the time on it. That being said, some security cams can be controlled by rs485 communication. I am pretty sure that is possible to send the proper signals from an Arduino to a rs485 adapter and then to a camera. That should allow you to make a button that would zoom the camera. I quit looking at it because at the time it looked very arcane and hard to implement.

I googled “Control Security Camera using rs485 and Arduino”, that came up with one good hit to an instructable, unfortunately I keep getting a pop up that does not let me copy the original link. Hopefully it is just something specific to my iPad, the brief time I was able to see it, it looked like it was pretty good and included some sample code.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 14 Feb 2018, 09:31

Do you really want to complicate your life for a downgraded image? :lol:

Life would be easier and image a lot better if you just replace your scope for one that has more optical variable zoom within easy reach with no faffing about. You can sell off the low mag scope too. :angel:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 14 Feb 2018, 10:03

A long time ago on this forum, someone used a 16 pin pic chip along with a few FET transistors to build a circuit that would emulate all the button presses needed to get the zoom function on a camera working with the single press of a button.
I'm damned if I can find the thread, but it's in here somewhere :evil:
Any way, he programmed the chip so that when a single button was pressed, the camera would zoom in and when pressed again, would zoom out.
Pressing the button caused the transistors to switch on and off in a sequence that replicated the series of commands needed to work through the various menus in the camera to get to the zoom function and make it change to the desired value.
The only problem with this method is that the camera he used was pretty slow at responding to commands, so he had to put time delays between each switching command to allow the camera time to react. The result was that pressing the zoom button caused a series of menus to quickly appear and disappear on the display before the zoom setting changed.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Postby CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Feb 2018, 10:32

phoenix wrote:A long time ago on this forum, someone used a 16 pin pic chip along with a few FET transistors to build a circuit that would emulate all the button presses needed to get the zoom function on a camera working with the single press of a button.
I'm damned if I can find the thread, but it's in here somewhere :evil:
Any way, he programmed the chip so that when a single button was pressed, the camera would zoom in and when pressed again, would zoom out.
Pressing the button caused the transistors to switch on and off in a sequence that replicated the series of commands needed to work through the various menus in the camera to get to the zoom function and make it change to the desired value.
The only problem with this method is that the camera he used was pretty slow at responding to commands, so he had to put time delays between each switching command to allow the camera time to react. The result was that pressing the zoom button caused a series of menus to quickly appear and disappear on the display before the zoom setting changed.

Cheers

Bruce

Yes I remember that one......he made a video showing how it worked, genius idea , :thumbup: I’m sure our librarian can find it ?

Crs

Return to “DIY Nightvision”