Toggle switched driver instead of press button

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Toggle switched driver instead of press button

Postby Trackerman » 09 Feb 2018, 13:04

The standard pill driver needs an off/on cycle to switch mode.

But i was wondering if there is a driver board which can be connected to a 3 or 4 position switch ?

It would make it easier to to switch in the field, especially if you can avoid going to high power in order to reach low power mode.

Thanks.

Tracker

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Toggle switched driver instead of press button

Postby phoenix » 09 Feb 2018, 13:34

The IR illuminator that used to come with the Drone pro used a lovely little rotary switch mechanism to control the brightness of the LED.
However it wasn't a driver in the now normal sense of the word, it was simply some low value resistors which, depending on the power level needed were switched in and out of series between the battery and the LED.
Not necessarily the most power efficient way to drive an LED, but it was a lovely illuminator to use.
If I remember correctly it had 4 power settings with off at each end and at the highest power setting the series resistor was 2 x 1.2 ohm surface mount resistors soldered in parallel to give 0.6 ohms.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 09 Feb 2018, 17:56

Thanks Bruce, interesting solution even if it's not efficient.

A switch mode driver with external switched modes is what I'm after... must be something out there...

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 09 Feb 2018, 18:59

Trackerman wrote:The standard pill driver needs an off/on cycle to switch mode.

But i was wondering if there is a driver board which can be connected to a 3 or 4 position switch ?

It would make it easier to to switch in the field, especially if you can avoid going to high power in order to reach low power mode.

Thanks.

Tracker

If I got you right you don't want classic reverse clicky switch, forward clicky switch or even rheostat switch.

You need some kind of lever switch for mode selection?

Well if you don't find what you are looking for there are some very cheap flashlights out there with rheostat switch and they will work with any driver so if you want you can make yourself for example single mode driver and control it on rheostat. Can't be simpler than that. You wanna start on low and go to high? No problem.
Another way is to make yourself multimode driver(lets say l/m/h modes) and control each mode additionaly on rheostat. But that is stupid. Most logical solution is single mode + rheostat.

You have Dereelight with additional rotary switch for mode selection: http://www.dereelight.com/Xsearch-4s.php

If you really wanted lever type of switch for mode selection it is probably doable with some car switch technology but no such thing in flashlight world.

My personal preference is high mode only :mrgreen:

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 09 Feb 2018, 21:04

Hi Lightmesser,
Yes you have it, I want a toggle or rotary switch to set the power , and not the clicky press button which we normally have.

I see other top brands like acebeam k70 also have a rotary switch , but I doubt they use resistors or rheostat which waste power as heat .

So I conclude there should be some form of driver with switched input ...

Or else I may make a constant current switched device ...

T

Trackerman

Postby Trackerman » 10 Feb 2018, 10:38

Ah... I found out how the top end brands do it...

It's done with magnetic rotation switching.
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S022192.Magn ... -3A-Driver

So it's no-contact switching between modes, clever eh!
And silent too.

T

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 10 Feb 2018, 11:01

Some flashlights have very special inner tube inside main tube(which of course makes flashlight thicker than usual) and without that inner tube dimmer switch can't work.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 10 Feb 2018, 11:51

Trackerman wrote:Ah... I found out how the top end brands do it...

It's done with magnetic rotation switching.
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S022192.Magn ... -3A-Driver

So it's no-contact switching between modes, clever eh!
And silent too.

T

Neat!
They appear to be using 5 Hall effect switches to control the power settings on the driver. Putting a magnet close to the Hall effect chip makes it switch on or off.
That would tie in with Lightmessers comments about an inner tube on some lights. Presumably the magnet would to be fitted on some sort of collar that allowed it rotate around the hall effects.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

oaken8

Postby oaken8 » 10 Feb 2018, 14:45

Interesting, I was about to ask the same question.
A simple 3 or 4 position slider switch off/low/medium/high that can be felt in the dark would make life easier than the existing press and hope button.
I guess a slider would involve additional cost of wiring and soldering.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 10 Feb 2018, 21:05

oaken8 wrote:Interesting, I was about to ask the same question.
A simple 3 or 4 position slider switch off/low/medium/high that can be felt in the dark would make life easier than the existing press and hope button.
I guess a slider would involve additional cost of wiring and soldering.

Hmmm... It as all about personal preference... I can't lie so I will say my favorite is classic T50(1503) with reverse clicky switch and high mode only(but it also ain't perfect light and I'll explain later).
I can turn on flashlight with silent twist to turn mode and I consider it as the most silent flashlight on the market.

Dimmer switch? I have been talking about newest Uniquefire flashlight. It looks like this:

I had it on test and I made nice 4715as illuminator out of it. I don't like it to much. Dimmer tailcap switch is very bulky and you can't turn on the light just by rotating dimmer switch. You must turn on tail cap on dimmer switch and then you can regulate light on dimmer. Tailcap on that dimmer is the most silent tailcap switch I ever tried(you know about nasty click sound of RW clicky switch? Well in this dimmer tailcap switch "click sound" is reduced for more than 80%) Additional weight on that Dimmer switch is stupid and unnecessary charging port which not only gives weight but also reduces waterproof of flashlight.
I don't like it but dimmer switch has few good sides because it is build like tank and you have feel it will never fail in use. So I see UF is capable of making better version of this dimmer for sure.

That light has special inner tube which is isolated from main flashlight driver. I think only + contact touches driver plus while minus contact of mentioned tube is isolated within that tube that is connected with dimmer switch(pick any driver with this light and dimmer switch will work with any of them).

Uniquefire factory does not want to listen experienced flashlight users they just know to copy paste designs of other flashlight manufacturers(Wolf Eyes and Dereelight as example) and if they are making flashlight for hunters they should be asking hunters for advice right ? But no they rely on their engineers and their designs. People that never been in hunting and that never seen a rifle. Sure they have technical knowledge but they don't have idea since they don't have experience of use. This 1605 is good concept but also good example of inefficient engineering I am talking about.

1503(original T50) is good and usable light and they should take that light as a base for new one... They could make it perfect with weight reductions and several necessary mods: Removing throat chunky section, adding triple thick oring inside that throat-head rotating focusing system, reducing switch diameter and overall flashlight thickness, possibility(option only) of adding reduced weight dimmer switch or some kind of magnetic switch without stupid charging ports, adding silent cable switch or monkey cable switch instead of their super loud cable switch(people can't believe how that c.r.a.p is loud), and there are some special and very light 50mm lenses out there that are giving 25-30% more output than their original T50 lenses.

Return to “DIY Nightvision”