Night spotter based on WATEC 120n+

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Lambda

Night spotter based on WATEC 120n+

Post by Lambda » 29 Mar 2018, 07:51

Hi. :)

Little post for presenting you a last little project (briefly disclosed in an other post).

A spotter, hand-held or to be settle on a simple tripod, made with a WATEC 120n+, with its remote controller integrated in the body of the spotter, and the classical viewfinder VF-2C, a lens with its hélicoïdal focusing system extracted from a old gen 1 Russian nv monocular (T3-C2): f/2.0 , 100 mm. And fed by aa batteries, for 12V.

PVC tubes, epoxy, duct tape, a bit rewiring the system, and that it... :) a bit crue, indeed...

Magnification is around X5.

It allows me to practice terrestrial/astronomical night vision while allowing to spare life of my other tubed nv gears (sometimes difficult to acquire in Europa as you know).

When sense up used X2 or X4 (acceptable max limit for vidéo fluidity, for me) with playing gain and gamma correction, performances are quite similar to my cascade tube equipped with f/2 - f/7 range lens.

So fully usable without IR source, at least under starlight/fine moon crescent condition in countryside.. and absolutely “like under daylight” in night urban or suburb conditions...

Photos here...

Thank you

Regards,
lambda
Last edited by Lambda on 29 Mar 2018, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Lambda

Re: Night spotter based on WATEC 120n+

Post by Lambda » 29 Mar 2018, 08:19

Updated with photos...

Lambda

Lambda

Post by Lambda » 29 Mar 2018, 20:49

Hello.

Here a first small example.... not easy to hold, not enough hands... :D

https://youtu.be/YC0IsIdWe6A

Details are in the description of the video...

Lambda

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 29 Mar 2018, 21:08

It is huge but functional. Good build :thumbup:

Lambda

Post by Lambda » 30 Mar 2018, 00:21

Hello lightmesser. Thank you for your reply. :)

It s true, it is a huge unit. It would be easy for a skilled handyman to reduce that. But I am not running after max compacity and use often for my project quite heavy lenses: this one is still reasonable in size. Being not a hunter I do not need extreme compacité or/and light weight monocular to settle on a rail for a gun. I am more in long range ( several hundred meters - several km) night spotting or astronomy, on robust tripod.

Here some shoots from a church at more than 1 km.

Photo quite representative of what can be seen with naked eye, and some shoots with the WATEC.

The church tower is visible close to the edge of the wall of my balcony.

Sorry for the low quality of my shoots... made with a tablet hand held on one hand, and the scope on the other...

Regards,

Lambda

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 31 Mar 2018, 14:13

That is very respectively long distance build considering that you did not use any additional IR lights. With T69 and Rubby more than 2KM will be possible.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » 31 Mar 2018, 20:44

Hi everybody, Light messer... :thank you for your feedback... :)

You are right, with IR support and the exactly same config, the détection range will be dramatically increased, but not systematically the recognition/identification capabilities of the whole system ( cf the Johnson Criteria).

I would have to also increase the focal length of my optics, while keeping ideally a similar numerical aperture or faster one...
It would give me more resolution and magnification, but it would also probably be limited by the intreseque resolution of the ccd sensor itself (limiting parameter or « weak kettle «  of the whole system (resolution-wise...)

I am currently working on something in this idea (nv cascade tube with slow optics, it is true, but great magnification, better resolution, and future possibility to compensate this slow optics by using combined « sensing up » camera...)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18543

Something important for my own practice is to not use IR at all and « developping »/testing homemade solution based on using only ambient available light reflected or emitted by the aimed subject/panorama...
And for that, the system has to be thought in its whole...

This is really the funny part, trying to reach « passive nv third gen » performances while using second hand/« craps »/derivated products/vintage coming from various sources for creating a functional system...

- the fastest light collector as possible, all type available, refractor, mirror or catadioptric lens. For a focal length matching with sensor resolution features.
- the sensor as sensitive as possible for a given range spectrum, and first off all offering, with its electronic driver, the best SNR possible.
- a monitor/screen giving the best image with the highest contrast and best resolution matching with the resolution of the detector, as possible.. for feeding well our eye(s) and our final processor, our brain...

Just some general ideas IMHO...

Regards.

Lambda

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 03 Apr 2018, 10:29

Lambda wrote:This is really the funny part, trying to reach « passive nv third gen » performances while using second hand/« craps »/derivated products/vintage coming from various sources for creating a functional system...
This is true diy spirit.

My experience with sens up cameras is that is only good for static targets. Even if I set sens up to lets say to just 2x I have annoying lag I don't really want to use in hunting situation.

But yes if I would need to look at static target at great distance than it helps a lot. Especially if I put it on 512 x

What I would like to see is that mentioned 512x sens up function but without any video lag. That would be crazy.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » 03 Apr 2018, 11:43

Fully agree with you, according the requirements for hunters like many of you here... vidéo fluidity is a « must have » for you, I understand, accuracy and proper killing shoot being, I guess, mandatory.

It is true, that being a simple night star/landscape gazer and appreciating observing subjects moving quite slowly, i can afford reasonable sense up parameter (X2 to x4 max) while still enjoying the scenery with the feeling to be immersed and witnessing a lively event.

I never tried X512 with the watec 120n+, and honestly i guess that either in urban or deep countryside environmenent, under star light, image would be blown up, overexposed... here in suburb, by x4, gain has already to be minimized for keeping an acceptable dynamic range.

Nevertheless, one advantage by using sensing up function and low gain is to increase the SNR and having a more crispy and with more grey image grey nuances. For instance (compared with unique frame) without a sense up of X2 the SNR is increased by being multiplied by 1.41, with a sense up of X4, the SNR is increased by being multiplied by 2 and so on...( please correct me if I mistake myself)... By the way, known method used by astronomers for extracting more details in their photos...

In very dark condition and with low contrast target, it can help to drag from the pictures informations... but, indeed, not adequate for hunting action, you right...

Like you, I would like to see the best of the two worldssensitivity AND video fluidity:.... and the last but not the least: budget wise affordable and free of ITAR regulation or equivalent... this is also why i am also currently working on a kind of « iccd for poor man » as I tried to describe it in the other post P8079HP related...

Regards.

Lambda