Spotter lens choice

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
ciaran

Spotter lens choice

Post by ciaran » 30 Apr 2018, 14:59

Ok guys need some help please.

I am thinking of building a spotter, it's for standard AirGun ranges.
So list of bits up to now, E700 camera, led screen, pistol grip, T20, project box, battery.

Then my problems start when trying to find info / recommendations on the lens and mounting solutions. C. CS. M12. M42.
I was thinking 50mm would be OK, but what are advantages of different mount types
As the e700 is m12 (I think), would this just screw on without separate mounts required
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-3-50mm-6-7 ... SwAuZX3prP

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Spotter lens choice

Post by some bloke » 30 Apr 2018, 15:53

Indeed it will do subsonic range spotting very well. The camera will need serious retaining, see how far the lens extends from it, it will be very vulnerable to knocking off the poa of your illuminator:

I have some support shrouds with M4 tapped holes that solidly screw to the spotter box and you simply glue the E700 to the inner with silicone adhesive which sticks the camera to the shroud like shit to a blanket. ;)

They are £24 posted RMSD. The lens rotates freely in the shroud but is supported from sideways knocks.

The shroud which comes with fixing screws is fitted into a 20mm hole in a very similar way to my C mount adaptors here:

http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... ors#p92030

I have some of those lenses here, you can have a lens, with a tensioning spring and the shroud for £50 posted RMSD if you wish. :angel:

I seem to recall you'll need to shave a couple of mm or so off the neck of the camera (if it is one that came with a 16mm lens) for it to focus correctly. If you have not yet bought the camera - buy one with a 12mm lens because the neck is shorter.

ciaran

Re: Spotter lens choice

Post by ciaran » 30 Apr 2018, 16:45

Cheers for info, not yet bought anything except T20.
I will be in touch once I decide to take plunge.
(Need to get my scope version first, am borrowing one at the moment).
Deal seems very reasonable, for what looks like a nice bit of kit. (Knock proof).