High end camera

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Jeremyv

High end camera

Post by Jeremyv » 17 Jun 2018, 03:45

So I'm looking at building a high end digital nightvision scopeless setup and am looking for a really good low light came
most of the builds I see are using the ej230 or something similar I'm willing to spend about $1,200.00 for the camera itself and hoping to get a lot better low light performace but can't figure out what model would be best. Any reccomend high end cameras? I've been looking at some astro photography ccd cameras and thinking about going that route but dont know if there is a better option.

My goal is to get gen2 gain with a digital but much higher resolution.

Thanks for your help
J

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: High end camera

Post by sunndog » 17 Jun 2018, 06:15

I think the best camera we know of is a watec but i'v forgotten the model. SURE24 have them though, have a look on their site above
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Jun 2018, 09:19

Watec 910HX/RC

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Jeremyv

Post by Jeremyv » 17 Jun 2018, 13:53

Thanks for the replies!
As far as what nv I have now or have owned.
ATN xsight.
ATN xsight2HD.
ATN xsight 4k
TNVC PVS 14 gen3
Armasight Zeus 2.5-14×42 640 core 30hz (thermal)
Armasight spark core monocular
Sightmark photon rt 4.5
LUNA optics gen 1 binoculars

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Jun 2018, 14:00

I had one of the original X Sights and it was truly crap, but I looked through the new 4K model at a show early this year and it looked much better. The 4k models are not on sale here yet, so please give us your thoughts on it.

Cheers

Bruce

Jeremyv

Post by Jeremyv » 17 Jun 2018, 18:30

The first x sight I sent back right away cause like you said it was crap the 2nd one I used for awhile and it was Decent with a good ir light. The x sight 4k I sent back too. Had a bad screen but the scope should be pretty good when they get the firmware worked out. It takes them awhile after the release to get them actually working so everyone here in the USA is used as test dummy's. I'll get another one in a few months and let you know how it works out. Batterie life was awesome! Without the ir the gain is really low maybe worse then the x xsight2

JoeDirt

Post by JoeDirt » 18 Jun 2018, 05:44

You might check out the Stargazer forums. They use a lot of high end cameras on telescopes, some of them might work? I have been doing a little reading over there.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 18 Jun 2018, 06:24

phoenix wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 09:19
Watec 910HX/RC

Cheers

Bruce
Thats it :D
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Jeremyv

Post by Jeremyv » 19 Jun 2018, 02:27

JoeDirt wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 05:44
You might check out the Stargazer forums. They use a lot of high end cameras on telescopes, some of them might work? I have been doing a little reading over there.
I've been looking at a bunch of those cameras but all of them run though a computer so not sure how hard it would be to run them without a computer. Most use a usb and software on the computer to control the camera. I'm not super knowledgeable with electronics I can machine all the parts needed for a really nice housing but I need s little help with the rest.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 19 Jun 2018, 07:20

I'm not aware of any home build or commercial NV kit that uses those computer based astro cameras -there's not enough space for the computer on a rifle!!
The other thing is that many of those astro cameras use very long exposure times to get good images.
A decent image from an NV camera really needs the camera to be taking at least 25 or 30 images per second (frame rate) otherwise what you see on the display looks like a very old silent movie.
Many cameras are advertised with phenomenally high light sensitivities such as 0.0000001 lux, but this is pure BS.
To get that level of sensitivity the camera is only producing one image every 17 minutes!
HD cameras are also usually poor for NV work since the pixels in the sensor will be smaller than in a non HD camera.
The best NV cameras have large sensors (typically 1/2) with relatively few, but large, pixels. They will also be mono because colour cameras use a filter in front of the sensor to generate the colour information, and that filter reduces the amount of light reaching the pixels
The Watec 910HX/RC matches all those criteria.
However, it is physically much larger and heavier than an EJ230 and building it into a scopeless rig won't be easy. In addition, it has no facility for generating a reticle, so you'll need some sort of electronic reticle generator connected between the video output of the camera and the input to your display device.

Cheers

Bruce