High end camera

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Jeremyv

Re: High end camera

Post by Jeremyv » 19 Jun 2018, 19:25

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. The astro cameras I'm looking at are monochrome and full spectrum so no filters at all full frame sensor so much bigger then most of the typical cameras used. CCD or CMOS. I'm confident they are super light sensitive but I think they are not used often because like you said having a computer on your gun is not practical. They do have shutter speeds of 30fps so that's not an issue the $1,000 to $3,000 price of just the camera also seem to be an issue cause now your getting in the price range of thermal. If there was a plug and play mini computer brain I could plug one into that might be the ticket but I just dont know enough about electronics.

I'm a photographer so I do understand how sensor size and all that works and f stop. I converted one camera to IR for photography it's a small 1/4 inch cmos sensor and it does quite well at night but not weapon mountable.

The Watec 910HX/RC looks like the best cost effective solution at the moment. Thanks for all your help guys.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 19 Jun 2018, 20:31

Let us know how you get on fella
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 19 Jun 2018, 20:56

Jeremyv wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:25
Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. The astro cameras I'm looking at are monochrome and full spectrum so no filters at all full frame sensor so much bigger then most of the typical cameras used. CCD or CMOS. I'm confident they are super light sensitive but I think they are not used often because like you said having a computer on your gun is not practical. They do have shutter speeds of 30fps so that's not an issue the $1,000 to $3,000 price of just the camera also seem to be an issue cause now your getting in the price range of thermal. If there was a plug and play mini computer brain I could plug one into that might be the ticket but I just dont know enough about electronics.

I'm a photographer so I do understand how sensor size and all that works and f stop. I converted one camera to IR for photography it's a small 1/4 inch cmos sensor and it does quite well at night but not weapon mountable.

The Watec 910HX/RC looks like the best cost effective solution at the moment. Thanks for all your help guys.
Apologies, I didn't know I was preaching to the converted :thumbup:

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Jeremyv

Post by Jeremyv » 20 Jun 2018, 17:22

Bruce,
No worries
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be ordering a camera in a week or so and getting this build started.

On another note have any of you guys ever used the MTVC viper connect scopes as a build platform? They have no eye relief like a binocular or spotting scope. So you could make an add on unit much shorter to go on one of those.