Low lux (night) vision thing

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
taz22

Low lux (night) vision thing

Post by taz22 » 17 Jun 2018, 06:00

Hi everyone.

After seeing Rsoftokz post on the devtsix forumabout his night vision build (http://www.devtsix.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4831&start) I wanted to build my own airsoft replica mounted night vision.

My version will consist of a chinese 3x magnifier on a flip to side mount,a small viewfinder display, a Runcam night eagle 2 camera and a seperate usb powerbank.

The first thing I had to do was disassemble the magnifier. This was kinda difficult because the back was glued and screwed. With a heat gun, waterpump wrench and some violence I got it free. Inside the magnifier there are the extra lenses that had to be removed. The ring where the extra lenses are screwed on will be used to mount the viewfinder.

I ordered the viewfinder on Banggood for something like €50. Next time I will go for a complete monocular display used for drone flying to make everything more easy and rugid. To mount this viewfinder in the magnifier I made a square hole in one of the internal ring wich is the exact fit for the viewfinder display. This will be glued together when I am done. Also to mount the board I will glue some mount to this ring.

Curently I am waiting for the Runcam night eagle 2 camera to arive. I hope that using this cam I will keep the need of a IR flashlight to a minimum.

To power the unit I decided to use a external powerbank. These things are cheap, easy to charge and replace when it is empty and and have a 5v output needed for the camera and viewfinder. In the future I will also buy a powerbank/flashlight combo that I will convert to a IR flashlight.

The goal for this build is to get a working night vision that has as close to 1x zoom as possible. I also want it to be very compact so I can mount it on my airsoft replica behind my red dot sight (and flip it to the side in light conditions). Perhaps if I can get it to have 1x zoom I build a helmet mount for it. I will primarily use it for indor CQB night games so no need fot it to see 200meters.

Thats all for now, I hope the camera will arive soon so I can continue the build.

JoeDirt

Re: Low lux (night) vision thing

Post by JoeDirt » 18 Jun 2018, 05:46

Link and pictures dont work. Sound like an involved build!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 Jun 2018, 11:14

Photo's work for me.

superslack

Post by superslack » 18 Jun 2018, 15:34

Sounds like you've got a plan! please keep us updated. That camera has the best low light image, but it does need some light.

If you're indoors with no added light you probably won't see anything. The trick will be to find the best ir torch setup to give you visibility you need with the least visible signature. Look at the lumiled 940nm 60 led at the lowest current that provides a decent picture for you.

taz22

Post by taz22 » 18 Jun 2018, 16:21

Thnx guys.

Dont know why the pictures dont work for everyone. I've uploaded then via imageshack.

The camera will arive this week, so I hope I can give a update in the beginning of next week. The camera housing has to be turned town a bit to fit the magnifier body.

I already have a small 3w 940 nm flashlight, to see of this would be enough. But will mod the powerbank/flashlight combo in the future for this function.

What are your opinions about the ir filter cover on front of a flashlight? Or couls I better just modify it with a 940nm ir LED.

Gr Leon

taz22

Post by taz22 » 21 Jun 2018, 19:21

Got the camera in a couple of days ago and I am impressed.

It is so small. I wonder how they got it to work in such a small package. Tested it in low light conditions and it works very good. In complete darknes a small 3w ir 940nm flashlight was enough to make everything visible up to 10 meters. The lens is to wide, so will look to buy a couple of extra sizes. The powerbank also seems to work out fine. The OSD on the runcam lets you show the battery voltage so that will also help with showing how long it stays on.

Also made it to fit inside the magnifier body. It still has to be mounted permanent, connect a on/off switch and solder the wire. It also looks like one thing is set on NTSC and the other is on PAL so have to figure that out.

And here are some pictures of it on top op my airsoft replica.

As you can see the flip to side mount sit a bit high compared to my red dot, so I have to find a way to figure this out.

I also removed the lens on the viewfinder. Now I have a very large eye relief up to a couple of cm's.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 22 Jun 2018, 19:37

Hi, that looks a great build.

Not sure if you know but i sell a near ere screen that looks like it has a bit better resolution than the one you have.
Have a look here to see if its something that would suit your needs better -

http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.h ... y=13698050

a lot higher resolution than most and has adjustable diopter, 3 to 5v so very low on power consumption.

Here is a discount nightvisionforumuk code if you do want one = 6%NVFORUMUK

Kind regards CRS

taz22

Post by taz22 » 22 Jun 2018, 20:35

Thanks. I might look into that display. I only read that the fov is very small on that screen but might buy one to test something out.

Gr

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 22 Jun 2018, 20:59

taz22 wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 20:35
Thanks. I might look into that display. I only read that the fov is very small on that screen but might buy one to test something out.

Gr
The FOV is the same on any screen, that will be set by your camera and other factors.........but what some say is the screen doesn't feel close to you filling up the whole area, making it look a little further away from your eye !

CRS

taz22

Post by taz22 » 23 Jun 2018, 05:55

I am sorry, what I meant was the eye relief is very small. But still thinking of buying one in the future to fix this problem.

Gr