KPC-E700 vs Sony Effio-E 700TVL

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: KPC-E700 vs Sony Effio-E 700TVL

Post by phoenix » 01 Aug 2018, 21:00

We did old video camera viewfinders about 4 years ago!
They were tubed rather than LCD because only the tubed type could be connected directly to the video output of the camera.
The LCD type used ribbon cables and digital signals rather than the analog video signal produced by a camera such as the E700
If I remember correctly, some Sharp cameras had the best of that type of viewfinder, but frankly they're rubbish compared to whats available today.
The very first DIY NV kit used Sony Niteshot camcorders fitted directly behind the scope with the image viewed on the flip out side screen.
These cameras work because in niteshot mode, the ir blocking filter in front of the sensor is flipped out of the way and the sensor responds to the IR light being used to illuminate the target.
Unfortunately those cameras are not nearly as good as a KPC E700
There is still a complete section in the forum index covering camcorders viewforum.php?f=21 but, if you look at it you'll see there hasn't been much activity for some considerable time, and my advice is not to go down the camcorder route.
Virtually all digital cameras have filters fitted in front of the sensor to block UV and IR light.
This is done to improve colour rendition and it almost certainly means that your Pentax Optio camera will not be very sensitive to IR light.
In my opinion, the only way to go for IR illuminators is LED. IR lasers are out and out dangerous.
A good LED based IR illuminator will have an 850nm Osram Oslon AS LED being driven at a minimum of 1500ma.
How far that LED will illuminate depends largely on the diameter for the lens fitted to the illuminator.
Larger diameter lenses produce a tighter beam of light which allows more distant targets to be more clearly seen.
Generally speaking, a 50mm diameter lens will do the job for distances out to around 200 yards
I guess what you decide to do will be down to how much you want to spend for the level of performance you want.
Off the shelf will be more expensive but will probably have the performance you want straight out of the box.
If you have the DIY skills - some mechanical, definitely some electrical (including soldering), then you can build something with a good level of performance for not much money

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

hatsan125sniper

Post by hatsan125sniper » 02 Aug 2018, 20:35

Is this the screen you are talking about that I can connect the kpc-700 to ? https://youtu.be/zBkjucNVTdI .

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 02 Aug 2018, 21:01

Yes, that's a VF-2C - this is what the complete unit looks like http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.h ... y=24751037
In the video you posted, it has been taken apart to fit into the guys home made NV project.

Cheers

Bruce

hatsan125sniper

Post by hatsan125sniper » 02 Aug 2018, 21:45

Has anyone tried to use the chinese pvs 14 clone that's around 200 dollars as a rear add-on to the scope . By the way he is talking in the video it has a screen, processer, and camera all in one and it looks small enough to fit on the end of the scope ? https://youtu.be/kR6lguRolnw Maybe if you took it apart and used the 16mm lens would it be any good ? https://youtu.be/f8XHj0I8U7U There are some specs on this page . It might be a good case if the price comes down . http://www.ohhunt.com/ohhunt-tactical-p ... p1399.html
Last edited by hatsan125sniper on 02 Aug 2018, 22:36, edited 2 times in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 02 Aug 2018, 22:32

Absolute junk - don't bother with it

Cheers

Bruce

hatsan125sniper

Post by hatsan125sniper » 03 Aug 2018, 00:20

Okay thanks I'll stick to what you said above . You were talking about the scope not having the same focus . Could you go into that a little more. Are you saying with the ir light on and its dark out side that when I turn my wheel to say 30 yards the object is not going to be in focus at 30 yards when I'm looking through the viewfinder ? If that is true I guess you have to set up targets at night and when the 30 yard target comes into focus on the wheel you mark that on the wheel tape as being 30 yards because you want 30 yards to be 30 yards no matter what the focus turns out to be right ? If there is a thread about this would you give me the link so I can read about it and find out why this is happening .