Build the SB diy scopeless NV rifle sight.

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Build the SB diy scopeless NV rifle sight.

Post by some bloke » 12 May 2014, 22:36

This is very picture heavy!

Very low light CCTV camera's have hurtled forwards in capability over the last year or so. When used with an SLR lens they can greatly surpass what a rear add-on rifle scope user would be able to see when using zero artificial light to maximize their covert potential. More importantly - some have an On Screen Display that can be made into an overlaid crosshair that can be moved to alighn the POA to you POI. :thumbup:

Some of the more complicated parts will not be easily made by the average DIY dabbler. I have made some parts for you - at a price obviously - and I also offer pre-built ones. For those equipped to make those parts dig in and have a field day.

I am assuming DIY builders have a degree of savvy to figure the small bits in between the main instructions I post and that they can solder or connect wires as needed and figure simple circuits. If not I can supply ready built - excluding batteries so I don't get sued if they go bang. :D

The best performing practical bullet cam available at this time is the KT&C EJ230 camera - which has a built in OSD menu joystick on the rear of it. Price about £95 from SURE24. There are cheaper alternatives but they get you cheaper results... and you would always know you let yourself doen g=for maybe £50 worth of difference on the cost of the build.

The camera lens cover and lens are not used in this build - bung them in the big hoarding drawer we all have. You'll need a very small flat blade screwdriver to undo the slotted grubscrew that pinches up to -and retains the lens in focus.... do not use an allen key.

It's a colour day/night camera that will perform much better in very low light conditions if we remove the IR block filter from in front of the CCD sensor and use it in B&W mode. The filter is the smaller rose colour piece of glass seen here:

Prise a craft knife under a corner, it lifts off much easier than most other brands of camera as the glue is soft and only around the edges:

While the camera is out of the body it will be a good idea to turn or cut about 5mm off the front end of the body if you will be using a 75mm TV lens. Experience has shown that some of them need the camera sensor closer to the lens than others and it offer the lens a wider view of the CCD sensor anyway so you get a better image. Also - we don't want all that cable to try and hide - so lop most of it off - but note these actions will void your camera warranty.

As the current is very low I prefer to use strip connectors as they are easy to work with - and allow simple revisions to the build
EDIT: I now twist and solder the wires together as needed before fitting heatshrink tube over the joints.

That bullet camera is going to slip inside this 30mm O/D tube. When positioned at the correct focal length use the three grub screws to centralise the camera. When the time comes to adjust your zero use the three screws to move the camera the same way you want the bullet POI to travel: So if you want the bullet to hit higher loosen the upper screw and tighten the lower two screws.... a little at a time... you can shift the POI around an A4 sheet of target with this method.

The weaver rail adapter is available here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30mm-Scope-To ... 1340860769

Fit your 30mm medium or high scope mounts to your scope rail with their tops off and feel if there is any noticeable difference between the scope seats. Some are very good but some are quite badly mismatched. If one has a higher seat put that to the rear to provide a little elevation drop.

If they are level bung a piece of masking tape or two onto the rear seat for now because that may need more or less to place the horizontal cross hair about mid way up the screen. Masking tape is better than vinyl tape for this as it doesn't go squidgy and sticky.

You can maybe find some self adhesive steel shim material:

You need to drill a 26mm hole for this bush fairly low to keep the monitor fairly high above your breech area. You should leave enough space below the bush to fit a 27mm socket over it.

Please study these photo's carefully. I have drilled out and fitted the bush slightly off centre laterally to allow more space on one side of the bush than the other. This is because some DIY builders may use alternative battery packs fitted with velcro etc so offers slightly more room on one side for more flexibility. This also helps those who have fat fingers to get to the batteries easier:

It might be a good idea to drill and tap a small screw below the bush from inside the pod into the base of the mount to act as an anti-rotation device of the tube if you are likely to be heavy handed with fitting the lens or handling the rig.

Some people prefer the above hole to be more central so they will now be supplied as default with the hole drilled more centrally laterally unless a request is made to off-set.

Decide on your power supply. I found two unprotected ex-laptop 18650 cells last for over three hours constant run time of the camera and TFT monitor - much longer can be got if you use a 5" DVR because that is self powered. The battery or carrier can be fitted using velcro - or permanently glued with hot melt glue. That stuff is quite stringy...

If you use some of the better quality 18650 cells they may not fit the battery carrier unless you cut it and extend it a little.

If you carry a spare set of these 18650's you can swap them in as needed.

This has 4 x CR123 batteries in it - giving 12 volts. I have not tried rechargeable CR123's.

A monitor costs about £15. This one is wired using Futabo servo cables so an LCD monitor or a 5" DVR can be used.

DVR costs about £100 off the bay:

Fit either an M42 to 'C' mount adapter and your chosen SLR lens, probably found on ebay for under £50 for air or 22LR ranges: Or for best results a Cosmicar 75mm F1;1.4 TV lens will be good to HMR ranges.

Position the camera tube forwards against the rear of the M42 to 'C' mount adapter, ensuring the joystick is at the bottom which places the sensor the right way up, horizontal and the screen image square. If the rig doesn't focus correctly slightly adjust the distance of the camera from the rear of the lens because there are differences in where the rearmost lens is relative to the lens shoulder. In some cases, partiularly if cheap CCTV lenses are used you may need to skim off the front of the camera body a little.

Care has to be taken when removing the monitor because if you try to pull it out with the built in sunshade it WILL pull off - don't even think about pulling it. To remove the monitor you push the very bottom edge of the monitor in so it rocks on its depth limiting pivot seats, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IliQEYh ... -OWKFJadkw

Ready for use with no external cabling:

With the 5" monitor fitted, also shows the inside of the spotter version:

And with a 5"DVR fitted to a blanking plate instead of the monitor which has a side entry AV IN socket:

Here is a video about how to use the privacy zones in the OSD to generate and zero the rifle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2J_lxlN5T4

And how you can expect it to perform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrHaSIfeUY

If I've missed out anything - or been a bit too dyslexic please let me know. :D
Last edited by some bloke on 28 Sep 2015, 23:06, edited 39 times in total.

spiralviral

Re: Build the SB diy CCTV NV rifle sight.

Post by spiralviral » 13 May 2014, 07:55

:clap: :clap: :thumbup: Well done Dave, you're an inspiration to us wannabuilds! Great tutorial, should be a sticky ere long.

ATB

spiralviral (ps loving my 501B's I got from you last year, plenty of illumination for me)

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 13 May 2014, 08:12

All clever stuff there, Dave :thumbup:

Hat's off to you for persevering.

George

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 13 May 2014, 15:01

Cheers lads. :angel:

SV, Yes a compact 501b is all that's needed for any of the modern types of dedicated NV that don't have a daytime scope put in front of them to outer rimfire ranges. Even the cheap 3W bay ones would be plenty for 12ftlb air ranges.

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 13 May 2014, 15:12

Well done Dave, a good presentation there. If I may add... people could add more reticle guides for air rifles using the same process as on your (and my) videos. For example you could have additional lines for different ranges, range finding and windage reference lines. Keep up the good work. ;)
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 13 May 2014, 15:40

AirRifleSport wrote:Well done Dave, a good presentation there. If I may add... people could add more reticle guides for air rifles using the same process as on your (and my) videos. For example you could have additional lines for different ranges, range finding and windage reference lines. Keep up the good work. ;)
Cheers, bung some info on that here if you like my 'ansome, maybe the video? :thumbup:

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 13 May 2014, 16:14

Here it is Dave.
The camera is my old Effio Super HAD II but the menu settings should be very similar to the EJ230. The process of doing the lines are the same as the way you did display on your video.

On my video, the lines on the left are used for range finding a full grown rabbit's head. Measuring from the bottom, largest line to the next above line the range would be at around 50 yards. To the next line, 40 yards and to the last one, 30 yards.

The right side of the reticle shows:
red dot, zero (30 yards) and for aligning all the lines to the correct position.
Next line down, 40 yards and the one below 50 yards.

The width of the lines can be sized for different wind condition if required. The scope need to be set at a specific magnification, according to the information needed about the rifle power and pellet used.
Hope this is of help to someone.

Franco

...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

Silverfox

Post by Silverfox » 14 May 2014, 17:29

Hi, This is all great stuff Guys :clap:

The Roliads bench video NV3.0 describes how to create up to 8 lines when using the EJ230 built in OSD.

Thanks Dave for an informative step by step guide , just a few more bits and I'll be up and running with my first Scopeless build.

My local rats wont know whats hit 'em :twisted:
My Local Rats really love lead,,,, they take as much as I can Give 'em

Porchylad

Post by Porchylad » 14 May 2014, 18:36

Great post dave, I'm in the first throes of building my scopeless and will be using more than a few tips from that! :clap: :clap:

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 14 May 2014, 19:27

great post Dave :clap: :clap:

looks like I'll be spending some more money :roll:

cheers john
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,